Pages:
Author

Topic: delete - page 3. (Read 6113 times)

donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
November 01, 2011, 08:49:20 AM
The point is: are they right? Is 51% attack so cheap? Litecoin's hashrate have pumped up significantly last few hours due to Solidcoin's so-called "economic change". If 51% attack is indeed so easy and cheap, it is very hard to trust Litecoin...

The dangers of CPU based chains.  Renting CPU is very very very cheap.  There is no cost effective method of renting GPUs.  In an attack you don't need hardware over the course of years you just need it over the course of a dozen blocks or so.  Renting gives you a huge multiplier.

Instead of buying 1 CPU and running it for a year.  You can rent 300 CPU for an hour at the same price.  That muliplier effect is what makes CPU based chains vulnerable and likely futile in the long run.

The only way I see "cpu chain" working is a blockchain which has the option of using one of two algorithms.  They algorithms are selected to provide roughly comparable benefit on CPU or GPU.  Even that may be not worth the complexity but a straight "GPU-hostile" chain is critically flawed in my opinon.  It is the specalized hardware (GPU) that have pushed Bitcoin out of the reach of "cheap" 51% attacks.
Activity: 29
Merit: 0
November 01, 2011, 05:24:24 AM
The point is: are they right? Is 51% attack so cheap? Litecoin's hashrate have pumped up significantly last few hours due to Solidcoin's so-called "economic change". If 51% attack is indeed so easy and cheap, it is very hard to trust Litecoin...
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
November 01, 2011, 05:16:56 AM
If you don't/know/understand what 51% is a reference to then I recommend you just uninstall your miner and delete the ScamCoin code now.  
You are the height of dumb.... saying something costs X amount of money to achieve indicates a planned attack?  Were you dropped on your head as a child?  About a dozen or so times?
Actually, the TaxCoin fanboy has a point there. This transcript just reflects the nursery school maturity level of some discussions on the SC IRC, not a real attack intent.

And what is the actual maturity level then if someone actually DID multiple 51% attacks?
Activity: 392
Merit: 250
November 01, 2011, 02:12:42 AM
If you don't/know/understand what 51% is a reference to then I recommend you just uninstall your miner and delete the ScamCoin code now.  
You are the height of dumb.... saying something costs X amount of money to achieve indicates a planned attack?  Were you dropped on your head as a child?  About a dozen or so times?
Actually, the TaxCoin fanboy has a point there. This transcript just reflects the nursery school maturity level of some discussions on the SC IRC, not a real attack intent.
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002
November 01, 2011, 12:26:56 AM
So what? The only criminals that can perform 51% attacks around here are douchebagexpress and artforz, is that it?
Oh wait, that would be artforz only, because everybody knows that douchebagexpress is full of shit and the only thing he 51% attacked on his life was his moms' wallet...
Activity: 210
November 01, 2011, 12:23:24 AM
Taking the time to calculate it shows some interest, if not specific intent.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
November 01, 2011, 12:11:23 AM
Just read this transcript and the only mention of them doing an attack is the title of this post.  Wish I hadn't unignored BCX to read this garbage, should have expected more lies :-(

Found this for you.

<@Ten98> but yeah, if u pay amazon money, it cost u $700 per hour to 51% LTC
[15:52] <@RealSolid> Ten98: right, pretty cheap to end a coin

You can pay me a dollar for finding those.  Don't worry if you keep mining ScamCoins for a week or so you might have enough (assumming the price doesn't go lower)  Grin.

Activity: 154
October 31, 2011, 08:42:02 PM
Hmm, first they talk about attacking it, but now...

That's a Grade A endorsement right there!
Activity: 546
Merit: 500
October 31, 2011, 08:15:32 PM
[sigh]  Can't tell if they are just talking shit or actually making a plan to execute.  Regardless, it's further demonstration of why any reasonable people should stay as far away from RS/CH and SolidCoin as possible.  To them it's all just a game.  No amount of deflating or trying to 51% competitors is going to make people take a heavily manipulated closed-source crytocurrency seriously.  In fact it should be a giant blinking warning sign that there is nothing democratic, trustworthy, or valuable about SolidCoin.  Participation in such a currency is asking to be exploited for the fun and enrichment of those behind the currency.

Hopefully RS/CH and his disciples will realize the futility of such efforts and start to act maturely.  But I'm definitely not holding my breath.
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005
October 31, 2011, 08:10:35 PM
go for it
legendary
Activity: 1210
Merit: 1024
October 31, 2011, 08:04:47 PM
delete
Pages:
Jump to: