Pages:
Author

Topic: Deleting 5 year old posts - page 2. (Read 890 times)

legendary
Activity: 3178
Merit: 1363
Slava Ukraini!
May 07, 2020, 04:25:23 PM
I personally don't see much sense in deleteing such old posts. What's the point of doing it? These posts have been here for 5 years without any problem and now somene decided to report it. Does it really increase quality of forum or what.
If these posts weren't reported by some kind of bot, then probably someone really don't like you and have too much time that he went through your 5 year old posting history. Maybe he is working hard to increase count of reported posts and get reporter badge in the future.
copper member
Activity: 2926
Merit: 2348
May 07, 2020, 09:18:06 AM
Even if I agree that it wasn't really necessary to clean up an old topic, these multiple posts have probably been reported. Who is to blame ? The mod or the person who reported them ?
If the mod hadn't done anything, we would have seen messages saying: "it's a scandal, my reports have not been handled or marked as bad !!!"
And from what I can see in the topic you linked, the multiple posts of several members have been merged into a single post.
So, is it really a big deal ?

I would blame both the reporter and the mod that removed the posts. It is the mods job to make sure the action they are taking conforms with the rules, otherwise what is the point of having him as a mod?

In the thread I linked, when the posts were made, they conformed with the current implementation of the rule (that wasn’t in effect at the time). The person who I was interacting with had deleted his posts in an effort to cover up his fraud, but that is a separate issue.

Frankly, pretty much any report on posts that are 5 years old should be marked as bad. There is no reason why action should be taken on posts this old in nearly all cases. If you are going back this far to report posts, you are either trying to create trouble or are trying to pad your stats.
legendary
Activity: 3178
Merit: 1140
#SWGT CERTIK Audited
May 07, 2020, 08:43:20 AM
Even if I agree that it wasn't really necessary to clean up an old topic, these multiple posts have probably been reported. Who is to blame ? The mod or the person who reported them ?
If the mod hadn't done anything, we would have seen messages saying: "it's a scandal, my reports have not been handled or marked as bad !!!"
And from what I can see in the topic you linked, the multiple posts of several members have been merged into a single post.
Personally I don't see what's the point of reporting old posts in inactive topics (+1 year of inactivity). I prefer to mark these reports as good and do not do any action towards the posts in Quickseller example. I recall some of the reports were handled like this. (Well this shouldn't apply to every report of course).
Activity: 325
Merit: 251
Any ideas?
May 07, 2020, 06:05:19 AM
Today I found over 60 posts in my inbox that were all messages saying I had posts deleted.

A few short weeks ago humble #RussiaCoin has also fallen foul of mprp's heavy hand with more than 10% of all of our post having been deleted.  The Russiacoin thread was started June 7 2015 and 43 of our posts in our own thread having been deleted by mprp all the way back to 2015 in the one thread.  Some but not all of our posts have been rolled into one post here and there, but others were deleted without clear reason.  When I tried to ask mr.mprp to explain why he didn't even issue warning he said its not his job to warn, just delete posts for being multiple posts.  There have been some other threads in the weeks that followed https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.54323822 is one about many people's posts being deleted without warning.  

It appears that someone was implementing a script that uses flawed logic.

I have found someone called Suchmoon has even made an app or something here ([HACK] One-click mod report, not for the faint of heart) and even another link for a competition who can mark the most posts (Top reporters! ) so there is a race underway to give posters a black mark for multiple posts with an app to speed up the process.  I am not sure if I am reading this post properly, Suchmoon is even coaching people in what to say in their reports: ("Report to moderator" wording) Suchmoon also wants a second link to report posts: (Add "Manager" link to signatures) and he has it in for Sir Quickseller: Quickseller is a dangerous person to deal with - avoid

I can not recall just now who said it, but someone in one of the other posts said something about us lower down the ranks are having their posts deleted to prevent them from gaining ranks.  I had 359 posts, now I only have 316 - a few posts were weeks apart, so it now looks like there was no activity in the #RussiaCoin thread for many months which is a blow to the stomach since our coins were lost in both Cryptopia and Tradesatoshi (run by the same people FYI)

I'd say it's not necessary, and even if posts aren't deleted, merging them can break other links (such as Reference links in Trust ratings).

The mods in the other threads will tell you they all have different opinions about what does and does not get deleted.

====

How often does bpip get updated? Sir Quickseller's post count is 14492 but on bpip it says

Posts 14492 (Rank 27 )
Posts deleted by moderators: 53 (Rank: >1000 ) <-- not 60.
Posts made per post deleted: 273 (Rank: >1000 )
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
May 07, 2020, 04:00:09 AM
Anyone can report anything, we can't blame them.

I don't think mprep will base his moderation on possible complaints about not deleting reported posts.

I'd say it's not necessary, and even if posts aren't deleted, merging them can break other links (such as Reference links in Trust ratings).
staff
Activity: 2408
Merit: 2021
I find your lack of faith in Bitcoin disturbing.
May 07, 2020, 03:01:09 AM
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
May 07, 2020, 02:12:10 AM
There have been many mistakes in moderation recently. This is unfortunate. Restoring them is not completely trivial IIRC.
copper member
Activity: 2926
Merit: 2348
May 07, 2020, 12:44:07 AM
Today I found over 60 posts in my inbox that were all messages saying I had posts deleted.

It appears that the moderator was incorrectly applying the rule “double posting” isn’t allowed.

The majority (if not all) the posts in question were from 2015, which is before the rule was implemented and I believe the forum generally has a policy against ex-post-facto laws/rules/regulations. Theymos has also said that occasionally posting successive posts when the posts are substantial and the person is not participating in a paid sig campaign is allowed. I am not currently participating in a paid sig deal and don’t believe I was when most of the posts in question were posted.

Some of the posts were made in threads such as this one, in which the person who I was responding to had deleted their posts and as such the posts the posts did not violate the rule in question, even if applied retroactively as the rule is posting multiple posts in a row are not allowed, and multiple posts were not posted in a row. This is clear because the posts were quoting other posts that were removed.

It appears that someone was implementing a script that uses flawed logic. Even without access to all deleted posts, you could easily see the posts were not posted in violation of the rule.

Also, most of the threads in question are very old and are not active (they are 5 years old). I really don’t see a good reason to be going back this far to remove posts you believe violate this rule (using flawed logic).
Pages:
Jump to: