Pages:
Author

Topic: Deleting threads - Log the Title, URL, date deleted, deleted by, and reason - page 2. (Read 3019 times)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250
Nice look at all those pyramining links lol
administrator
Activity: 5166
Merit: 12850
Here's a basic log of the last 14 days of deletions:
https://bitcointalk.org/modlog.php

The "by member #x" part of these entries isn't usually correct for log entries made before now. SMF has a bug which I just fixed.

I don't want to list the moderators who deleted things.
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010
I restored that topic to off-topic. I was on the fence about it, but allowed it to stay deleted because it has no real substance and the author often seems to be trolling.

A list of post removals isn't difficult. I'll write it later.

Thanks for both actions!
administrator
Activity: 5166
Merit: 12850
I restored that topic to off-topic. I was on the fence about it, but allowed it to stay deleted because it has no real substance and the author often seems to be trolling.

A list of post removals isn't difficult. I'll write it later.
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010
Not being a mod and generally unconcerned because the existing mods seemed to have been doing a decent job, I don't really know what goes on.

This opened my eyes:

While I was sleeping they deleted "The beginning of the end" topic...
 - https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/while-i-was-sleeping-they-deleted-the-beginning-of-the-end-topic-115533

I deleted the thread which was my first instinct upon reading it anyway. It was trolling and off topic. I even checked with the forum administrator and he agreed although he suggested I could have moved it to off topic instead.

What you posted was facts that most of us already knew and then you made a conclusion for which you had no supporting evidence. I'm sorry but that's trolling and does not belong into the Bitcoin Discussion.

Why delete?   Off-Topic if you must, but definitely not delete!

Sure, this is a private forum and sure BitcoinTalk has the right to administer it however it chooses.

But deleting threads simply because "we already know the facts", "no supporting evidence", "trolling", etc, then BitcoinTalk no longer remains the forum I wish to participate in.

I know manually logging actions is a pain in the ass, but can't there be an automated method to see which posts are deleted and by whom?

The only piece of data that I don't know if it is available is the "reason".  If the mod has to enter a reason, then that should be reported as well.

But when deletions don't just subtly disappear then that transparency makes mods think twice about deleting threads.

Is there agreement that this log would be useful?  Is such a log technically already possible?
Pages:
Jump to: