Pages:
Author

Topic: Democracy and Voting = a choice? - page 3. (Read 3952 times)

legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000
May 31, 2011, 02:58:24 AM
The choice is whether to vote or not.  All the other bullshit is designed to misdirect your attention from this fact.
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
May 31, 2011, 02:51:47 AM
This could be a good thread.

I think you being a bit to generous in your ford analogy. I would replace "I want" with "You can have" .

I think that the current voting system acts more as a blunt accountability measure. Preventing a minority group from pursuing their agenda indefinitely.
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1014
May 31, 2011, 02:27:25 AM
Does democracy provide real choice because you get to vote every 4 years?

What if you take that concept for anything else, let's say cars. There is only 1 car company in the world, Ford. You get to send Ford your suggestion every 4 years "I want SUV" or "I want fuel efficiency" or "I want a convertible" or "I want a pickup truck". And whatever suggestion was most popular, Ford would do that for the next 4 years.
Do you still call that having a choice?

Yes, it's a choice. The question is: is the choice a good thing? What is the good thing, anyway?
Activity: 52
Merit: 0
May 31, 2011, 01:11:42 AM
I thought I'd share my thoughts on here since this site seems to be quite libertarian friendly.

Does democracy provide real choice because you get to vote every 4 years?

What if you take that concept for anything else, let's say cars. There is only 1 car company in the world, Ford. You get to send Ford your suggestion every 4 years "I want SUV" or "I want fuel efficiency" or "I want a convertible" or "I want a pickup truck". And whatever suggestion was most popular, Ford would do that for the next 4 years.
Do you still call that having a choice?
Pages:
Jump to: