Pages:
Author

Topic: Denominating a 'BitCent' as a 'Gavin' ? - page 3. (Read 3831 times)

Activity: 22
Merit: 0
The problem is not metric, but doing transactions in a fraction of a denomination. Its not just the perceived value problem of picking up a coffee for .04BTC. Its also keeping track of the fraction, i.e "whoops, I just paid .011BTC instead of .0011BTC per gram of grapes. It would make much more sence (cents lol) if the gram costs 0.11 GV, and I would not accidentally send 1.10gv. Sorry fraction guys, there is no explanation other than human weakness.
Activity: 854
Merit: 1000
Bitcoin: The People's Bailout
I think Hal makes more sense to honor as a unit.

Fully agree with that, no disrespect to Gavin.

Me as well.  Hmmmm... What do you all think about milliBTC also being referred to as "Finneys"?

Hal Finney was on the receiving end of the first BTC transaction from Satoshi.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bitcoin-and-me-hal-finney-155054

legendary
Activity: 3192
Merit: 1278
Primedice.com, Stake.com

Fully agree with that, no disrespect to Gavin.
Activity: 784

Agreed.
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
Nope, metric system is fine. (We have to use this in science anyway!

And also in every country around the world, minus 3.
donator
Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047
I outlived my lifetime membership:)
Activity: 784
You had better only pay homage to someone at least after he "disappears". If he is still around this sounds too "worshipish" and will probably bring inconvenience to the person.
donator
Activity: 290
Merit: 250
Maybe we can designate 5340 Satoshies as a Gavin.

+1  Cry

+1
that = comedy + irony.   
Activity: 58
Merit: 0
well Gavin has already tried to remove satoshi out of the equation by making clients no longer recognise transactions of 0.00000001 (a satoshi) so maybe having 'a Gavin' as a 0.00054 so that everyone remembers him as the smallest and cheapest thing to have replaced satoshi
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: 1pirata

+1  Cry
Activity: 1008
Merit: 531
Also, the idea of a metric currency was already rejected by Europeans.  They had the chance to make the euro metric but they decided against it.
Activity: 1008
Merit: 531
We can name a unit after Gavin when he is dead or retired.  Naming it after him would just give him more power, which is not what bitcoin needs.

We need to all get behind millibits with the ₥ symbol.  The nonsense that is mBTC will never catch on, but ₥ will catch on.  Let's forget that there was ever a unit called "bitcoin".  I want to see the BTC symbol only be used for the system, not as a denomination.  Bitcoin is the name of the system, millibit is the name of the unit of currency.  There are not other units; this isn't the metric system.  Just one unit, just one symbol.

Seriously, we've been debating this issue for at least two years now.  No one is going to be completely happy with any solution, so we all just have to mass together and act as one entity.

We need to make some sort of list of 1000 people who agree with this change.  Once we get 1000 people we will all simultaneously submit a support ticket to MtGox, informing them that bitcoin is a system, not a unit, and that the unit is the mill (₥).  MtGox will change, then everyone else will change the next day.  Then random people will see that they can afford bitcoin mills and they will join us.  Everyone lives happily ever after.
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
We (americans) are trained in metric.  Sheesh.  It's just not our primary system.

Perhaps if americans wanted to use something that was in international use and already denominated using a metric system, the pace of adoption would pick up.

Whereas nobody is going to take the phrase "hey can I get a couple of gavins" very seriously.

It is, perhaps, slightly better than calling them "bobs" or "daves".  Slightly.

I suspect in places where "gavin" is not a phonetic derivative of a common personal name, people might take it better.

If the creator of bitcoin had picked the pseudonym "John Smith" I doubt if we would have "smiths" today either. Although from the perspective of a russian or brazilian (any non english speaking) bitcoiner it may not be that different from "satoshis". Is Satoshi a real and/or common name in Japan?

Just my thoughts. Metric denominations of the bitcoin FTW.

Edit: for sub-denominations maybe just "bit" - still geeky and cute, easy to say:  decibit, centibit, millibit, etc...
legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas
legendary
Activity: 4060
Merit: 1303
I agree on a user-friendliness it needs a name.  In the US at least bills and coins only show the dead, not living.  I think there are better choices. Look at the nicknames other countries have e.g. Canada etc.

Something cute and user-friendly is good.  The difference is engineering/scientific vs marketing. And here marketing is useful.

Nope, metric system is fine. (We have to use this in science anyway! good way to get people used to it as science gets more and more important)
I think Satoshi as base unit is fine, because he is the inventor. But more real person names?

I personally agree with the metric system, but we're trying to make it friendlier to the masses - The US previosuly tried and failed, I doubt the adoption will work for a currency that they aren't even using yet.
donator
Nope, metric system is fine. (We have to use this in science anyway! good way to get people used to it as science gets more and more important)
I think Satoshi as base unit is fine, because he is the inventor. But more real person names?

I personally agree with the metric system, but we're trying to make it friendlier to the masses - The US previosuly tried and failed, I doubt the adoption will work for a currency that they aren't even using yet.
Activity: 364
donator
There is already quite a discussion regarding the move from a Bitcoin to a smaller unit. "BitCent", "MilliBit", "Satoshi"... Plenty of options but all of them relatively painful.

Why not rename the BitCent (0.01 BTC) a "Gavin"?

=> It moves down the psychological decimal without compromising the value of a Bitcoin, provides a friendly denomination for the currency + doesn't scare people away with the metric prefixes (many still cringe when they see those.)
Pages:
Jump to: