Pages:
Author

Topic: Depositors insurance? - page 2. (Read 2261 times)

Activity: 288
Merit: 251
September 07, 2012, 03:54:04 AM
You understand that insurance is inherently fraudulent, right?  It can't exist without force, fraud, and eventual state backing.  If you pay for Bitcoin "insurance", the insurer is going to use your payments to set up ways to track you and all of your transactions.   You understand that, right?

I mean, people here just got done losing a whole bunch of Bitcoins in a fairly obvious ponzi scheme, so I feel obligated to point this out.

HuH? How is insurance inherently fraudulent? Yes, many insurance companies are the scum of the Earth because states let them get away with a lot of bullshit, but that doesn't mean it is inherently fraudulent.
Activity: 714
Merit: 500
September 07, 2012, 03:39:34 AM
Depositors insurance is a scam.
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
Wat
legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000
September 07, 2012, 03:00:18 AM
You understand that insurance is inherently fraudulent, right?  It can't exist without force, fraud, and eventual state backing.  If you pay for Bitcoin "insurance", the insurer is going to use your payments to set up ways to track you and all of your transactions.   You understand that, right?

I mean, people here just got done losing a whole bunch of Bitcoins in a fairly obvious ponzi scheme, so I feel obligated to point this out.
Activity: 351
Merit: 250
September 07, 2012, 12:44:34 AM
I've been pondering the insurance question as well. I think what would be required would some type of audit to ensure compliance to a publicly agreed / vetted security policy. .

I see this as being a very legit business but initially applicable to the larger commercial businesses who 1) have the funds for initial compliance; and 2) can pass through the insurance costs to the consumer.

THEN insurance becomes a competitive differentiator.  (e.g., exchange 1 has a .5% fee, exchange 2 has a .6% exchange fee, exchange 2 insures your account up to 100,00 btc - who do you do business with?)
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1004
September 06, 2012, 04:20:09 PM
I don't think you, the insurer, can hold the private keys. That essentially just adds risk to the system, and also requires additional counter-party trust.

I agree that there's a dire need in the bitcoin community for what I'll call "confidence services": security auditors, business auditors and reviewers, and insurers. I believe that's what the following thread is about: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/the-recurring-trouble-cycle-of-bitcoins-and-why-im-here-101832

These services will emerge, but it'll take time. Each will have to build a level of trust within the community in and of themselves, but if there are several (and they're independent), it could work. But it's going to take time.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1013
September 06, 2012, 03:39:53 PM
Properly-priced deposit insurance would be expensive due to the nature of the risks involved.
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
September 06, 2012, 02:43:37 PM
if there was a way to make bitcoin insurance actually profitable in the early stages, i think this would be huge

think about how seriously insurance companies investigate their claims-- i imagine there would be some very intimidating questions to answer  regarding why the police report wasn't filed or why best practices weren't followed with wallet security.

edit:
now that i think about it, it's too bad a big player didn't have the funds/inclination to hire the appropriate people from insurance backgrounds and an army of lawyers to start that sort of thing up.

no insurance?  i won't do business with you
yes insurance?  they'll pound your ass into the ground on behalf of the depositors for negligent behaviour

No respectable insurance company is going to insure a site that doesn't have regular security and account audits. Them asking questions after the fact about wallet security would just be idiotic, unless the exchange hid stuff from them.

well that's sort of my point, being insured or insurable would help get us through this garbage phase with large online wallets being mishandled

i don't think we're audited would have the same marketing appeal as we're insured
Activity: 288
Merit: 251
September 06, 2012, 02:09:49 PM
if there was a way to make bitcoin insurance actually profitable in the early stages, i think this would be huge

think about how seriously insurance companies investigate their claims-- i imagine there would be some very intimidating questions to answer  regarding why the police report wasn't filed or why best practices weren't followed with wallet security.

edit:
now that i think about it, it's too bad a big player didn't have the funds/inclination to hire the appropriate people from insurance backgrounds and an army of lawyers to start that sort of thing up.

yes insurance?  they'll pound your ass into the ground on behalf of the depositors for negligent behaviour

No respectable insurance company is going to insure a site that doesn't have regular security and account audits. Them asking questions after the fact about wallet security would just be idiotic, unless the exchange hid stuff from them.
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
September 06, 2012, 01:15:38 PM

edit:

kjj
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1026
September 06, 2012, 12:58:18 PM
Sweet!  A way to (nearly) double my bitcoins with no risk!  Where do I sign up?
Activity: 62
Merit: 10
I was lucky enough to solve block 121306
September 06, 2012, 12:09:50 PM
I have been dwelling on the idea of how to insure bitcoins. Just bitcoins, not securities, bonds, or investments, just plain bitcoin deposits.

I understand that Bitcoin is inherently safe and anonymous and their is no need for a "bank". But the one thing Bitcoin does not offer is "assurance" for lost or stolen coins. And I wanted to present the idea here and see what the community thinks.

The problem of trying to insure a persons bitcoins is the ease of fraud, given the anonymous nature of Bitcoin. So to make an insurance option feasible I the insurer will retain the private keys to a bitcoin address that a depositor can use to store their bitcoins with the assurance of guarantee. If they are ever lost or stolen they will be replaced by the insurance they paid for.

When signing up for an insured Bitcoin address the depositor will provide a return payment address when they want to collect their bitcoins. The only way to change to depositors return address would be a verified account which would require documentation such as drivers license and corresponding bill such as utility, rental agreement, cellphone....etc with the same address.
During the application process 3 Bitcoin address will be used

Insured address to deposit to                Payment address for services rendered
                                                |                                                           |
                       111111111111111111111111111111111       1222222222222222222222222222222222

Depositors return address
                                                 |

The insured deposit address will retain the bitcoins deposited, they will not be pooled into a single address or account. This allows the depositor to monitor the insured address

The insurance rates are due monthly at the first with a 25% discount if you pay the first 12 months in advanced. Sorry but there are no refunds or pro rates, failure to pay the bill will have it deducted from the insured deposit, until depositor withdraws their bitcoins.

Instead of using flat fees or large percentage rates the insurance rate is calculated on the deposit using the equation y^3=.03/x where (x=your deposit)>0. This rate is calculated down to the 4th decimal space.

example deposit 10Btc the solution to the equations is 0.1442249570307408382321638310780109588391869253499350
and the fee would be the first 4 decimals 0.1442Btc per month

A 100Btc deposit would yield a rate of 0.0669Btc per month
if the first 12 months are paid in full then a 25% discount is added
0.0669*12months = 0.8028+25% discount=0.6021Btc per year

Again this is just something that I have been thinking of and wanted to know what others think about it.
Pages:
Jump to: