Pages:
Author

Topic: Deterministic wallets - page 3. (Read 48264 times)

Activity: 333
Merit: 251
June 25, 2013, 01:52:04 PM
so have deterministic wallets been implemented in the reference client?

just wondering how often I have to update my backups ...
Activity: 496
Merit: 500
June 23, 2013, 09:35:48 AM
BIP 32 defines a serialization for extended keys. I meant to exchange those extended keys. This is what the unit tests I mentioned test.
A serialized extended key determines all keys derivable from it, and carries its place in the key hierarchy.

BIP32 also defines the algorithm to derive extended keys from a seed. This is also implemented in BOP in the class I quoted.

Ah, ok. Thank you for the clarification.
Activity: 836
Merit: 1021
bits of proof
June 22, 2013, 10:03:01 PM
I personally don't see a reason to swap wallet format between different wallets.
And even if there was, I'm sure someone can build a converter.
So I personally don't really care about a compatibility of my wallet with other wallets, especially when I keep it simple
Not wallet formats. Key export and import.

I think to clarify, in the case of HD wallets, it's less about the individual keys and more about ensuring that all clients, given a seed, will derive the same keys from that seed.

BIP 32 defines a serialization for extended keys. I meant to exchange those extended keys. This is what the unit tests I mentioned test.
A serialized extended key determines all keys derivable from it, and carries its place in the key hierarchy.

BIP32 also defines the algorithm to derive extended keys from a seed. This is also implemented in BOP in the class I quoted.
June 22, 2013, 06:55:04 PM
I personally don't see a reason to swap wallet format between different wallets.
So I personally don't really care about a compatibility of my wallet with other wallets, especially when I keep it simple

I think to clarify, in the case of HD wallets, it's less about the individual keys and more about ensuring that all clients, given a seed, will derive the same keys from that seed.
legendary
Activity: 2053
Merit: 1354
aka tonikt
June 22, 2013, 03:49:26 PM
OK, then sorry.
I should had read more Smiley

May I ask, do you really need such a hi tech for a business?
It seems like 100x more sophisticated than MtGox
bits of proof
June 22, 2013, 03:43:02 PM
legendary
aka tonikt
June 22, 2013, 03:42:08 PM
So I personally don't really care about a compatibility of my wallet with other wallets - especially that I keep my wallet it simple
bits of proof
June 22, 2013, 03:38:42 PM
This however is the wallet where we expect to see different implementations. The purpose of the standard here is to enable interoperability across implementations. I think the JSON file I provided is a reusable piece of data for any other implementation's unit test and the algorithm I wrote helps to clarify what is evtl. not obvious in writing. Let me know if more is needed to have "a" reference.
I should probably read a bit more before asking what is the "interoperability across implementations". Smiley

Means being able to transfer keys and key hierarchies from one wallet to an other even if they use different implementations.
Now I understand.
So you are saying that it should be 'Final' already.
OK - I'm with you, assuming that it works, though please don't ask me to test it. Wink
You do not need to test mine, but feel free to refer to it.
I suggest you to use the JSON parseable test vectors in https://github.com/bitsofproof/supernode/blob/1.1/api/src/test/resources/BIP32.json for your unit test.
legendary
aka tonikt
June 22, 2013, 03:18:23 PM
This however is the wallet where we expect to see different implementations. The purpose of the standard here is to enable interoperability across implementations. I think the JSON file I provided is a reusable piece of data for any other implementation's unit test and the algorithm I wrote helps to clarify what is evtl. not obvious in writing. Let me know if more is needed to have "a" reference.
I should probably read a bit more before asking what is the "interoperability across implementations". Smiley

Means being able to transfer keys and key hierarchies from one wallet to an other even if they use different implementations.
Now I understand.
So you are saying that it should be 'Final' already.
OK - I'm with you, assuming that it works, though please don't ask me to test it. Wink
bits of proof
June 22, 2013, 03:11:32 PM

legendary
aka tonikt
June 22, 2013, 03:08:15 PM
I should probably read a bit more before asking what is the "interoperability across implementations", in this case Smiley
bits of proof
June 22, 2013, 03:03:30 PM
Peter, can BIP32 be changed to a status of Final on the wiki now?

I've made it 'Accepted' by now, as per BIP 01, 'Final' requires a reference implementation...

What makes an implementation a reference implementation?
I think it means that it needs to be an implementation in the official bitcoin client.

I understand the importance of the "reference implementation" for things related to consensus on the ledger.

legendary
aka tonikt
June 22, 2013, 02:40:29 PM

I've made it 'Accepted' by now, as per BIP 01, 'Final' requires a reference implementation...

I think it means that it needs to be an implementation in the official bitcoin client.
Otherwise all the BIP ceremony would not make any sense, since there had been different unofficial deterministic wallet implementations, and pretty 'Active' ones, for like years already.

It's actually quite funny because this topic is already over 2 years old, and let's be serious; implementing a deterministic wallet seems more like a 2 month job. Maybe even 2 days... It's actually easier than the current wallet.
Unless you work for a bank - then of course, you need a flowchart, even for going to a bathroom Smiley
It is sort of a bank though, at the current stage. It should be split into independent components, so bugs in one part would not affect the core (meaning: the blockchain protocol) - then it would be faster to improve things.
bits of proof
June 22, 2013, 02:07:29 PM

I have an implementation here, that passes the test vectors and other tests:
https://github.com/bitsofproof/supernode/blob/1.1/api/src/main/java/com/bitsofproof/supernode/api/ExtendedKey.java
Here is the code running the tests:
https://github.com/bitsofproof/supernode/blob/1.1/api/src/test/java/com/bitsofproof/supernode/api/ExtendedKeyTest.java
Here are the test vectors in JSON format for the above test:
https://github.com/bitsofproof/supernode/blob/1.1/api/src/test/resources/BIP32.json

June 22, 2013, 01:21:52 PM

Great, thanks! It's not showing up for me yet, but that may just be how the wiki works.
legendary
Activity: 1072
Merit: 1174
June 22, 2013, 12:44:28 PM

June 22, 2013, 12:33:47 PM
legendary
Activity: 1072
Merit: 1174
May 25, 2013, 06:32:19 PM
Now Peter, where are those test vectors!? Grin

Have a look Smiley
May 25, 2013, 09:03:50 AM
Peter and Timo, it was great getting to meet both of you at the conference!

Now Peter, where are those test vectors!? Grin
Pages:
Jump to: