Pages:
Author

Topic: Development of alert system - page 3. (Read 23082 times)

Activity: 574
Merit: 507
August 23, 2010, 01:04:50 AM
On a side note, lfm,
it seems a bit
repetitive, your post
being the first reply
yet you quote
entirety of first post.
Of course you were
replying to that
post!  Perhaps you
wanted your
post to look
more full? ^_^
I do not think it is good idea to forcefully turn off block generation.  I think it is better to maintain generating blocks until the owner/user specifically disables it themselves.  In most cases it may be perceived helpful to disable generating blocks automatically, but there may be some cases where it is not so helpful.

I believe there is a precedence of backlash from other communities in which implementations of remote control were produced and hindered or interfered with communities expectations.  I am not certain that implementing a remote disable for block generation would be perceived similarly, but it is something to keep into consideration.
lfm
Activity: 196
Merit: 104
August 23, 2010, 12:16:54 AM
Did you consider turning off block generation? You must have, why did you decide not to include it?
founder
Activity: 364
Merit: 6472
August 22, 2010, 07:55:06 PM
I've been working on writing the alert system.  Alerts are broadcast through the network and apply to a range of version numbers.  Alert messages are signed with a private key that only I have.

Nodes can do two things in response to an alert:
- Put a warning message on the status bar.
- Make the money handling methods of the json-rpc interface return an error.

In cases like the overflow bug or a fork where users may not be able to trust received payments, the alert should keep old versions mostly safe until they upgrade.  Manual users should notice the status bar warning when looking for received payments, and the json-rpc safe mode stops automated websites from making any more trades until they're upgraded.

The json-rpc methods that return errors during an alert are:
sendtoaddress
getbalance
getreceivedbyaddress
getreceivedbylabel
listreceivedbyaddress
listreceivedbylabel

Pages:
Jump to: