Pages:
Author

Topic: Did I reach the limit of how many machines I can run at my apt? - page 2. (Read 3594 times)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100
if you have a dishwasher and a garbage disposal, they are probably both on separate circuits.  i use both - they're both 15 amp.

check your fuse box - it'll be labeled (legal requirement).

if you have a landlord-provided AC unit, that too will be on a separate circuit.  but with summer approaching, you may want to keep that option open.
Activity: 499
Merit: 500
I'm assuming you have access to your electrical panel.  If so,  map your circuits by turning each off in turn and seeing what does not work any more and note the amperage on the circuit breaker.  Balance your rigs according to what you find.  The panel might be labeled already.

Being an Apt,  do you have a detached garage w/power or light?  That is probably a different meeter.  Smiley

kjj
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025
 Shocked

Assuming this isn't a clever new form of trolling:

Don't touch your outlets.  Don't even think about unscrewing the cover, much less swapping the outlet itself.

Multiple outlets can be hooked to the same circuit.  Keep trying different outlets until you find a combination that doesn't pop breakers when running.  I hope you weren't serious about fuses, because if you were, you have shitty old wiring, and you are begging for trouble.
legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080
No that won't fix your problem. You need to spread out the load on as many SEPARATE 15A circuits as possible. Sometimes some apartments are wired quite stupidly so check with your landlord first before you try anything else. Maybe he/she can give you a schematic outlining which jacks are connected to which circuit breakers, etc. This assuming that you do not have access to the circuit breaker panel yourself.

Get yourself a kill-a-watt or any other wattage measurement device and ensure that you do not draw more than 1800W from one 15 amp circuit (that's the limit for a 15A circuit). I'd say if you can do not draw more than 1000W from one circuit.

Activity: 406
Merit: 256
Different circuits have different max currents you can pull through them. Try spreading them out more/ in different rooms.
Activity: 36
Merit: 0
Ok. I recently was introduced to bitcoin by a friend of mine. After few days of mining on my gaming setup I owned already with couple 5970s, I was completely sold on the idea.

Soon after, I bought quite a few of 6990s from Amazon to build myself a mini farm at my apt. The problem I'm having is that now when I try to run all the new machines, the fuses are going out at random outlets because of too much power draw. I really need some guidance here because I don't want my new rigs sitting around doing nothing, but I'm clueless about electricity.

Is there anything that can be done to try to fix this problem? fyi my apt is a lease.

Can I try to change the outlet with those ones in the bathrooms with little buttons on them and maybe that will fix it?
It seems the ones I have plugged on the bathroom extension is the only one not going out all the time.

Pages:
Jump to: