Pages:
Author

Topic: Difference between cloud mining and hosted mining? - page 2. (Read 473 times)

Activity: 728
Merit: 308
but I'm curious about the differences between the two in case I decide to start mining.
As a safety tip and advice, you should also be careful so people don't take advantage of your curiosity, get into your PM, and offer to help you get started. Majority of them may have bad intentions for you. For any of the options, do your own proper research to know better and make a choice.
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 2904
Block halving is coming.
Why don't you just buy a miner and run it in your home it would be much safer because you have them physically.
Both Cloud mining and hosting have risks cloud mining is most likely a scam while hosted mining is risky unless you know a legit company but right now it's hard to find a legit company that offers cheap Electricity.

So to avoid the risk buy a miner and mine on your own without any 3rd parties but the problem is if you have cheap power because you won't make any profit if you mine with an expensive electricity rate it would be better to invest in bitcoin/altcoin than burning your investment in paying the Electricity bill.
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 1789
The simplest way to explain this is that cloud mining is cost-efficient, whereas remote (hosted) mining gives you more control.
Such a nice way to summarize it, while probably ignoring the majority of the issues. OP, don't get trapped by marketing words like this. Not saying they are lying, but there are dozens of businesses that scam their users in the end while promising cost-efficient mining. Even if they are honest, the risk outweighs the benefit.

FYI, your link doesn't work.
legendary
Activity: 3500
Merit: 6205
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
I have no idea what the difference between the two is because I am not involved in mining. I directly invest in coins, but I'm curious about the differences between the two in case I decide to start mining.

In theory the difference should be that in case of cloud mining you buy (any) hash rate (which you may also able to resell to other users if you no longer want to mine), while for hosted mining you buy actual miners and that may not be so easy (availability, more expensive, ...). Especially in case of hosted mining you'll have to pay for all the expenses, from electricity to maintenance. And you also don't get your hands on the machines.

In reality cloud mining means websites that have no miners, display some nice numbers and offers to attract unsuspecting newbies into investing and they don't pay (or even more, they ask for more money pretending you need to pay in order to get your money). Plain scams.

In reality hosted mining is also dangerous since you cannot be 100% certain the host will keep his promise. I've seen stories with the host simply making some day all the miners mine to his own wallet and not answering to calls any longer. Of course, if you have a good contract and the identity of the host was real, you can start (a costly) lawsuit.

As @mocacinno said: it's better to avoid both (unless you have very reliable information you can react legally if they attempt to scam you, information most won't give, or not a real one).
legendary
Activity: 3346
Merit: 4911
https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC
I have no idea what the difference between the two is because I am not involved in mining. I directly invest in coins, but I'm curious about the differences between the two in case I decide to start mining.

Cloudmining is either a scam or is making you take all the financial risk in exchange for a small piece of the profit, hosted mining is either a scam or hosting your actual mining rig.

Basically, most of the cloudmining company's discussed on bitcointalk are either an obvious scam or later on turn out to be a scam. The "honest" ones run their own hardware in their own datacenter, and you pay all their costs in exchange for a part of their income.

On the other hand, hosted mining company's usually let you run your own miner, you still pay all the costs, but because it's your hardware you also get all the income.

Personally, i wouldn't invest in neither of these options... Maybe i'd dip my feet in hosted mining IF i could find a reliable company in my own country AND the math proves it would be profitable... but still... for me it would either be home mining or not mining at all (and at the electricity prices we've been paying for years, home mining is no longer a viable option for me)
Activity: 3
Merit: 0
Pages:
Jump to: