Pages:
Author

Topic: Different wallets for each buying origin? - page 2. (Read 263 times)

Activity: 76
Merit: 1
February 01, 2024, 03:35:57 AM
I'm buying BTC from, different sources, non-KYC exchanges, but I keep it all in one address in OWNR wallet.
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 3858
Farewell o_e_l_e_o
January 31, 2024, 11:36:18 PM
Do you also separate the "where you bought"? One wallet for each exchange/platform/vendor/seller?

I mean, do you have a separate wallet for each Hodlhodl, Bisq, Robosats, etc. at no-kyc?
And then at kyc: do you have a separate one for Relai, one for Kraken and so on?

In order not to mix the coins?
You must use Coin control feature to spend specific UTXOs but the best option is use different wallets for different purposes. Because it is not harmful to do this but it's useful. You don't have to spend any more things to create new wallets to use so if this simple and free practice can help to more easily control your coins from different sources like different exchanges (KYC, no KYC, mixers, salary from different jobs), you should do this.

With Bitcoin, you only need to have bitcoin in your wallet for transaction fee. It's different than tokens because you have tokens in a wallet but will need native currency of that blockchain pay transaction fee, like ERC20 token will need ETH to pay transaction fee and if you have many wallets, you will need to have ETH in those wallets for transaction fee.
Activity: 980
Merit: 364
January 31, 2024, 10:11:13 PM
-snip-

I use one wallet and not separate, when buying from an exchange then use a new wallet it is also simpler in your privacy, but you may have different thoughts but in my own assumption this will be complicated.

You don't need to separate your wallet between exchange with KYC or not because it's quite complicated and you need to tag the wallet and back up more private keys. Unless you have a purpose for differentiating them, for example wanting to differentiate transactions or increase your privacy, then it is a good idea to differentiate your wallets. But if you are a normal user and don't have a problem with KYC, then there's no need to do this, because it will only bother you.
legendary
Activity: 2422
Merit: 2915
January 31, 2024, 10:01:44 PM
In essence, this is another form of diversification. Yes, different Bitcoin wallets from different sources are a good idea. However, this is only worth doing if you have a fairly large amount of Bitcoin. If the amount of Bitcoin you have does not exceed your weekly income, then it is probably not worth bothering with a large number of wallets. It's just extra work. If the amount is at least equal to or greater than monthly income, and even more so equal to or greater than 1 year’s income, then of course it makes sense to have many wallets. For exchanges with CUS, it is enough to have one wallet, for all others you can have at least 10 or 20. This way you reduce your chances of loss or compromise.
Activity: 378
Merit: 93
Enable v2transport=1 and mempoolfullrbf=1
January 31, 2024, 09:45:45 PM
Separating your kyc and no-kyc coins in different wallets is basic knowledge. Understood.

But:
Do you also separate the "where you bought"? One wallet for each exchange/platform/vendor/seller?

I mean, do you have a separate wallet for each Hodlhodl, Bisq, Robosats, etc. at no-kyc?
And then at kyc: do you have a separate one for Relai, one for Kraken and so on?

Your KYC transactions and non-KYC transactions can all be done within the same wallet if you use coinjoins to keep them from ever being linked with each other.  BTCPay Server's coinjoin plugin, Trezor's coinjoin account, and Wasabi Wallet are all able to turn your funds completely anonymous.
Activity: 294
Merit: 433
HODL - BTC
January 31, 2024, 09:19:35 PM
I know it's too complicated to have a separate wallet on the other hand you want to maintain privacy because when coins from KYC exchanges will be identified that the coin is from the exchange but to buy on non-kyc then that I know is not detected.

I use one wallet and not separate, when buying from an exchange then use a new wallet it is also simpler in your privacy, but you may have different thoughts but in my own assumption this will be complicated.

Determine their comfort where to keep their coins whether separate or in one wallet.
Activity: 1358
Merit: 538
paper money is going away
January 31, 2024, 08:54:12 PM
It depends on each person's goals, because I'm sure everyone has different privacy preferences. So if someone needs even more extreme privacy, they can apply this method. There is no harm in using this method either.

However, if someone already uses a few wallets and chooses to live leanly, using even one wallet does not indicate anything dangerous.

Actually I have a lot of wallets, but I don't classify them based on transactions related to exchange KYC. At least until now I haven't done anything like that.
legendary
Activity: 2226
Merit: 2169
Need PR/CMC & CG? TG @The_Cryptovator
January 31, 2024, 04:58:22 PM
If you care about your privacy, then it's better to use separate addresses for KYCed funds and non-KYCed funds. So both funds won't mix with each other. If it is mixed, then it is easy to detect where all the funds are coming from or who owns them. If you are using multiple KYC exchanges,  you can use an address because it doesn't make any difference. I would advise you to always protect your privacy and don't mix KYC and non-KYC funds if possible.
legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 1330
Slava Ukraini!
January 31, 2024, 04:40:28 PM
Agree with post above that there is not much need to have separate wallet for each KYC exchange that you use. Though, it may helpful for account purposes and tracking of your coins, rather than mixing everything in one place.
Having separate wallet for non KYC exchanges isn't bad idea, but I think it's not must have thing for everyone. Personally, I have my BTC in several different wallets, but KYC/non-KYC isn't one of reasons why I do.
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1036
6.25 ---> 3.125
January 31, 2024, 09:41:46 AM
Generally good (actually with point 1, great) practice:
- Run your own Bitcoin node on another (privacy-focused) server configured with Tor, which you can then connect with other non-custodial clients like Electrum.
- Avoid centralized services where possible and if you do use them, be mindful that your identity may be exposed to other inputs (if this is a concern)
- Use a new address for each transaction to avoid unnecessarily relinquishing your privacy.

A new address for each transaction should be enough if you use your own node and follow these practices, among other privacy practices outside of blockchain privacy. However, you can take it a step further and make new wallets for different purposes if you find it easier to manage this way. Whether it will increase your privacy or not is arguable if you are already taking the steps to following good/great practice.

If you can't follow step 1, I would say that new wallets may potentially have a privacy benefit. I'm not too sure a it would have quite a few variables that are again, outside of just blockchain privacy...though it would serve well for the purpose you stated (ensuring the inputs are kept separate by using different wallets for kyc/no-kyc).
legendary
Activity: 3346
Merit: 4911
https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC
January 31, 2024, 09:37:33 AM
I use labels and coin controll... Just create a new address each time you want to receive, and make sure you tag the address beforehand. When spending, use coin controll and only pick labels that go together. This way, i only need one wallet (eventough i do have to pay attention when spending). In the past, i did have a seperate wallet for inputs that went trough a mixer or a coinjoin session, but i've given up on this idear and just went with proper labeling.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 4795
January 31, 2024, 09:36:50 AM
For KYC exchanges, no need of differentiating the coins unless you have a purpose for doing so. You may separate it from coins you received from centralized no KYC exchanges but be expecting KYC at anytime.

Also have a separate wallet for coins you received from people that send you coins through decentralized exchanges. But making sure you enable Tor or using the one with in-built Tor.
Activity: 9
Merit: 4
January 31, 2024, 09:32:14 AM
Separating your kyc and no-kyc coins in different wallets is basic knowledge. Understood.

But:

Pages:
Jump to: