Pages:
Author

Topic: Difficulty jump! Barrier of entry for mining - page 2. (Read 2398 times)

legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047
Difficulty has just jumped 5%, some 14/16nm chips are being turned on?

Previous two bubbles in bitcoin are mostly caused by the several magnitudes of efficiency raise of mining: Because mining usually is the lowest possible cost to get coin, when mining technology shifts, majority of miners will lose the ability to get enough coin through mining, and decided to go to market and purchase, that made the exchange rate skyrocket

After technology shift is over and new generation mining rigs can be deployed at large scale, the cost of mining will again become the lowest cost to get coins, so coin's exchange rate will eventually get close to the cost of mining due to arbitraging

During the bubble, many people paid their fiat money to get mining rigs or bitcoin, directly or indirectly supported the miners to upgrade infrastructure. And after the upgrading, the whole network commands much higher hash rate and becomes much more secure. Because many of those infrastructure projects have been ROIed, they can be easily relocated to places with cheap electricity and maintain same hash rate as before

This means, the network hash rate will never go down long term wise, due to more and more mining rigs will be ROIed over time. At the same time the barrier of entry will become higher and higher: There is a cost for each mining rig, unless you can make rigs of magnitudes higher efficiency, it might never ROI. Even if you have much more efficient miner, it would still take quite some time to ROI because of the heavy investment in chips

So, bitcoin's value is not only guaranteed by the mathematics in the protocol, but also driven by the continuous increase in the hashing power. When the barrier of entry getting higher and higher, anyone who want to invest in bitcoin mining would have to throw in a fortune to get some meaningful return

This is quite different than gold. Depleting a gold mine will not increase the difficulty of future gold mining too much, you would have similar cost when a new gold mine is found. But in bitcoin, all the investment are accumulative, makes it more and more difficult worldwide to get bitcoin over time, even the supply is constant in a 4 years period

That's the reason after each bubble, the bitcoin exchange rate will stabilize at much higher level than last bottom, due to higher barrier of entry in mining. This barrier drives small investors to exchanges and raise the exchange rate

Yes
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012
Beyond Imagination

Where exactly u got the data of 5% difficulty jump ? Last difficulty update took place on May 31, 2015. Next is within 3 days and according to https://alloscomp.com/bitcoin/calculator it wil go down 2.3%.

https://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/difficulty
Activity: 672
Merit: 503
i quit mining. pointless to pay income taxes on it when the price is this low. buy and hold, pay the taxes on the difference later. paying income taxes on mined coins pretty much makes mining pointless. great for the irs though since they tax you twice on your coins if they worth more when u spend them.

How do you pay the difference later if you don't know the difference? I forgot were I got some of my coins, I think some come from Mintpal which is a defunct exchange. I've seen a lot of people commenting on the same. Getting your Bitcoins properly taxed seems like a big nightmare.
X7
legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1009
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone
I used to mine pretty heavily when difficulty was around 8 Billion - will say that even then it was cheaper to BUY coins. Not sure mining will ever prove to be the cheaper alternative UNTIL the price of a single Bitcoin sky rockets. But then so many people will become miners that it will always find balance
Activity: 700
Merit: 255

Where exactly u got the data of 5% difficulty jump ? Last difficulty update took place on May 31, 2015. Next is within 3 days and according to https://alloscomp.com/bitcoin/calculator it wil go down 2.3%.
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000
i quit mining. pointless to pay income taxes on it when the price is this low. buy and hold, pay the taxes on the difference later. paying income taxes on mined coins pretty much makes mining pointless. great for the irs though since they tax you twice on your coins if they worth more when u spend them.
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012
Beyond Imagination

Previous two bubbles in bitcoin are mostly caused by the several magnitudes of efficiency raise of mining: Because mining usually is the lowest possible cost to get coin, when mining technology shifts, majority of miners will lose the ability to get enough coin through mining, and decided to go to market and purchase, that made the exchange rate skyrocket

After technology shift is over and new generation mining rigs can be deployed at large scale, the cost of mining will again become the lowest cost to get coins, so coin's exchange rate will eventually get close to the cost of mining due to arbitraging

During the bubble, many people paid their fiat money to get mining rigs or bitcoin, directly or indirectly supported the miners to upgrade infrastructure. And after the upgrading, the whole network commands much higher hash rate and becomes much more secure. Because many of those infrastructure projects have been ROIed, they can be easily relocated to places with cheap electricity and maintain same hash rate as before

This means, the network hash rate will never go down long term wise, due to more and more mining rigs will be ROIed over time. At the same time the barrier of entry will become higher and higher: There is a cost for each mining rig, unless you can make rigs of magnitudes higher efficiency, it might never ROI. Even if you have much more efficient miner, it would still take quite some time to ROI because of the heavy investment in chips

So, bitcoin's value is not only guaranteed by the mathematics in the protocol, but also driven by the continuous increase in the hashing power. When the barrier of entry getting higher and higher, anyone who want to invest in bitcoin mining would have to throw in a fortune to get some meaningful return

This is quite different than gold. Depleting a gold mine will not increase the difficulty of future gold mining too much, you would have similar cost when a new gold mine is found. But in bitcoin, all the investment are accumulative, makes it more and more difficult worldwide to get bitcoin over time, even the supply is constant in a 4 years period

That's the reason after each bubble, the bitcoin exchange rate will stabilize at much higher level than last bottom, due to higher barrier of entry in mining. This barrier drives small investors to exchanges and raise the exchange rate
Pages:
Jump to: