Pages:
Author

Topic: disallowing RBF (replace-by-fee) - page 2. (Read 303 times)

Activity: 1666
Merit: 453
December 27, 2023, 09:07:37 AM
In my opinion, RBF is beneficial to bitcoin holders when they deal here, or, in other words, it creates options contracts that allow bitcoin investors to lock in a specific price in their holdings.

Then it protects against abrupt price declines. Furthermore, as far as I know, it may be utilized for bitcoin exposure and in a portfolio that is less connected with other traditional assets. This can help to minimize the total risk of the portfolio.
Activity: 630
Merit: 731
Bitcoin g33k
December 27, 2023, 08:06:07 AM
Why don't you want to make your transaction support replace-by-fee?
The only reason to want non-RBF transactions, is to accept zero-confirmation transactions. But, with more and more full-RBF nodes, you shouldn't rely on that. Just wait for a confirmation to be sure.

I can think of another one:

There are some Bitcoin puzzle hunters who are currently struggling at the 66bit puzzle. The following scenario. Alice finds the correct private key to the address and will generate a transaction to send the 6.6 BTC to her private wallet address. From the moment Alice sends the transaction, it ends up in the mempool and the publickey becomes visible there. The private key can be generated from the publickey within a few seconds or minutes (depending on the hardware and computing capacity used) because of the low bit-range of only 66bit.

Mallory used a self-written script to monitor the mempool constantly for a transaction that has this 66bit wallet address as input. As soon as the script finds this transaction, the pubkey attack is carried out and Mallory reveals the private key in a short time. Mal now creates a new transaction with a higher fee and his own private wallet address as the output. The 6.6 BTC would now go to Mallory and Alice would look stupid.

In my opinion, it doesn't matter which wallet software you use, because even if it gives you the option of switching off RBF, it doesn't mean that the mempool will adhere to it. Your wallet software would signal that you don't want to use RBF, but if the node is configured that way (and from bitcoin core 24 it does by default) then it will activate and use full-rbf anyway.

The only way I can see here would be to run a full node, explicitly deactivate full-rbf (not to be confused with opt-in rbf!) and put your transaction in there. However, I'm not sure if that would be the ultimate solution. My doubt would be that the forwarded transaction could be overwritten by the local full-RBF setting of the node forwarded. You would have to clarify whether the setting of the initial node has priority, or whether the mempoolfullrbf=0 setting can be overwritten by subsequent nodes with mempoolfullrbf=1.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 4795
December 27, 2023, 07:55:42 AM
The only reason to want non-RBF transactions, is to accept zero-confirmation transactions. But, with more and more full-RBF nodes, you shouldn't rely on that. Just wait for a confirmation to be sure.
Yes, exactly. In the past, I accepted no confirmation transaction if the fee used is high enough to make the transaction get confirmed in the next block. But since nodes can enable full RBF and non RBF transactions can still be replaced, I do not do that anymore. At least I wait for one confirmation. I also see no reason why OP need transactions that is not supporting RBF.
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
December 27, 2023, 07:37:59 AM
legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 5213
December 27, 2023, 07:26:38 AM
i want to ensure that RBF will not be used at all and nobody can change or cancel that transaction.
Can I ask you what exactly you worry about? Do you think your wallet may be compromised?

Note that you can replace a transaction with a new one only if you have the private key of one of receiving addresses. If your wallet is compromised, your fund can be stolen right now.
And even if you broadcast a RBF-disabled transaction, as long as it's unconfirmed, anyone who has access to your private key may be able to replace that with a new one.
legendary
December 27, 2023, 07:20:39 AM
My own question is why is RBF being disabled your major concern, it's been there doesn't mean that you must make use of the function, as to complete your desirability, you can always disable this right from making your transactions by checking the button that disallowed for RBF function, i don't know about blue wallet if it's also allows for RBF like the way electrum wallet did, but am very sure of the two examples given already by zaguru, mycellium and trust wallet.

On Electrum, RBF is the default and it can not be disabled anymore. On Bluewallet, you can make use of RBF and also you can disable it just like I have explained above.

Mycelium do not support RBF. Trustwallet also do not support RBF and it is a close source wallet. Aside from those, it is one of the worst bitcoin wallet, only altcoins users are the ones that are using it that may not have complain.

There are many other close source wallets like Coinomi, Atomic wallet and others which do not support replace-by-fee and not advisable or recommend. They are wallets bitcoin users supposed to stay away from because there are many open source bitcoin wallets. There are also many open source bitcon wallet that you can disable the replace-by-fee but which I am lazy to research on for now.
Activity: 532
Merit: 390
December 27, 2023, 07:06:21 AM
please someone advice and teach me which wallet to use and how to disable RBF function.

My own question is why is RBF being disabled your major concern, it's been there doesn't mean that you must make use of the function, as to complete your desirability, you can always disable this right from making your transactions by checking the button that disallowed for RBF function, i don't know about blue wallet if it's also allows for RBF like the way electrum wallet did, but am very sure of the two examples given already by zaguru, mycellium and trust wallet.
legendary
December 27, 2023, 07:04:54 AM

On Bluewallet, after you click on send, at the top right corner, click on the three the dots and disable RBF for that transaction

On Samourai, click on icon at the top left corner -> settings -> transactions. Then uncheck RBF.

No RBF on Mycelium.
Activity: 672
Merit: 855
December 27, 2023, 06:55:29 AM
i want to ensure that RBF will not be used at all and nobody can change or cancel that transaction.

Then you will need to use some old wallets that do not actually have an RBF opt in. The two wallet I think of now is mycelium and trust wallet. But even though I don’t think someone without access to your keys will not be able to cancel or change your transaction with or without RBF feature.

I don't remember when Electrum makes RBF as their wallet default setting for user but it is their right decision and very helpful for Electrum users especially newbies who broadcast their first Bitcoin transactions through Electrum wallet.

They have actually removed opt in RBF from version 4.4.0 and made it a default according to this announcement . Since the full RBF default is growing everyday on various nodes then I think opt in will soon be a thing of the past.
Activity: 2254
Merit: 831
December 27, 2023, 06:50:33 AM
the latest electrum version dont allow user disabling RBF.
I don't remember when Electrum makes RBF as their wallet default setting for user but it is their right decision and very helpful for Electrum users especially newbies who broadcast their first Bitcoin transactions through Electrum wallet.

They will even not know about RBF but with this default opt-in RBF, they will be able to bump fee (increase fee) later if they need to use RBF.

It's not wise to allow users to turn it on and off because newbies probably mistakenly turn it off.
Activity: 72
Merit: 0
December 27, 2023, 06:40:29 AM
the latest electrum version dont allow user disabling RBF.
i think bitcoin core allows to disable this but i guess you need to run a full node that is not pruned that is not the way i like to go.
is there any other wallet soft that i can use to make a transaction with RBF disabled?
is a miner or pool able to override the RBF DISABLED setting and still advertise my transaction with RBF flag enabled on mempool?

please someone advice and teach me which wallet to use and how to disable RBF function.

Pages:
Jump to: