Pages:
Author

Topic: Discord & scammers. Check user IDs and user colors of strangers send you PMs - page 2. (Read 1001 times)

Activity: 120
Merit: 15
I very rarely use Discord so I didn't pay that much attention to it either. I didn't know about username colors being different, thanks for the tip!

@ONEnergy
Even if the ID can be changed with Nitro I assume you can't use an ID that is used by another member right? In this case an admin of the group.
I doubt serious admins of discord groups change their IDs, what benefit could they have from doing this?
I don't know what happens when two users have the same name + id in a server, but neither names or IDs are unique globally. I could use ninja#1337 and someone else would also be able to use this combination.

It is possible. I already got PM from a scammer that had same username and same user id like ID #4444

The only unique id is if you enable developer mode in settings.
legendary
Activity: 2758
Merit: 6830
Even if the ID can be changed with Nitro I assume you can't use an ID that is used by another member right? In this case an admin of the group.
I don't know what happens when two users have the same name + id in a server, but AFAIK neither names or IDs are unique globally. I could use ninja#1337 and someone else would also be able to use this combination.

I doubt serious admins of discord groups change their IDs, what benefit could they have from doing this?
Having an cool id (like #666 or #1337).
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
Farewell, Leo. You will be missed!
I very rarely use Discord so I didn't pay that much attention to it either. I didn't know about username colors being different, thanks for the tip!

@ONEnergy
Activity: 120
Merit: 15

User ID
Each user in Discord has only one fixed ID, and it can not be changed.
Scammers can changed their usernames to as same as which developer that scammer want to be. It is very easy.
They only have to do three simple steps to get fake username:

I believe this is not true. ID can be changed if you have Nitro. You need to buy nitro to be able to change the ID. The unique user id is longer: like 589473379990222325

Username color
Scammers can change their usernames, but they can not change their colors, which show roles of users in Discord channels. For each project, developers will asign different colors for different types of users: from admins, moderators, community managers, bots, and normal users.
Users that have important roles, such as admins, moderators, community managers, for example, usually have special colors, that are easily to recognize.

There is one id on discord that is unique and you have to enable developer mode in discord settings to get it.

Discord has option to check unique user ID. You need to enable developer option in settings to get this. User can easily copy Name and avatar of another user but cannot duplicate user id. If you compare user id you will get info if this user is the one that he is claiming to be. Just click copy ID as on image bellow and compare both ID's.

Also username color is not relevant in this case. As you receive PM from scammers username color is always the same regardless of users role on the official server.

I wrote some ways how to spot a scammer on telegram or discord here:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.51908476

Activity: 219
Merit: 100
ENG > ITA PDF, PSD, TXT, DOCX TRNSLATION
Username color
Scammers can change their usernames, but they can not change their colors, which show roles of users in Discord channels.

this is a new form!
i use discord not so much... but i use it.
so thank you for the tip!

cheers
legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 1018
Discord is one of the most used channels of crypto projects, besides the forum, Twitter, and Telegram. Scammers, definitely, do not ignore those channels to spread their fake messages, contacts to scam people around.
To be safe in Discord channels of crypto projects, you should remember to carefully check those things:
- User's unique user ID (multi-digit ID number)
- User's color

User's unique user ID
Each user in Discord has only one fixed ID, and it can not be changed.
Scammers can changed their usernames to as same as which developer that scammer want to be. It is very easy.
They only have to do three simple steps to get fake username:

1. Click on User setting

2. Click on Edit button

3. Type to change username

You should notice to differentiate between user IDs and unique user IDs (or also called as multi-digit ID number)

With this user in Crypto Bridge Discord group, user ID in that group is

What I should do to get this user's unique user ID?
Let's follow these steps:
User Settings > Apperance > Developer Mode (turn it to ON)
=300
How to Enable Developer mode on Mobile app?

Obtaining User's ID on Mobile app

Now, let's apply this Developer Mode to check unique user ID of Scott Wehman#6261.
Right click on the username of Scott Wehman > Click on Copy ID

Paste ID copied to see what it is

Yeah, as you can see: Scott Wehman has user ID in Crypto Bridge Discord group is #6261, but has an unique user ID is #409926710658596865.

Read more here: https://support.discordapp.com/hc/en-us/articles/206346498-Where-can-I-find-my-User-Server-Message-ID-

User's color
Scammers can change their usernames, but they can not change their colors, which show roles of users in Discord channels. For each project, developers will asign different colors for different types of users: from admins, moderators, community managers, bots, and normal users.
Users that have important roles, such as admins, moderators, community managers, for example, usually have special colors, that are easily to recognize.

Scammers are normal users, so they mostly will be displayed with white color. Sometimes, project teams might assign different colors to different ranks of users in their Discord channels. So, in such cases (that are rarely seen), you should notice on users that have different colors than admins, moderators, community managers.
In the above image, developers also noted about IDs and colors of their teams.

When you get issues, then try asking for help/support; plesase remember:
- Be careful with anyone who makes contacts with intention to help. They are mostly scammers.
- Always check their users' unique IDs (multi-digit ID numbers)
- Always check their users' colors
- Compare their unique user IDs, colors with admins, moderators, etc whom have same usernames.
- You will mostly find important announcements from developers on their user IDs, and hyerarchy of colors in pinned messages.
- If you detetct Discord scammers, and actually receive their PMs, and don't delete their PMs, you will see that weeks or months later, their username will be displayed as "Deleted user" - when they change their usernames again!
- Developers can be scammers too. They can create new accounts, that play as normal users, to scam people in their communities. This can occur with scam projects, because the main purposes of developers is to scam investors, so it is not strange if they create new accounts to act as scammers in their communities, while their main accounts (play as developers) still look like innocent.

Scam with fake link to steal your Discord Token ID
One more type of scam in Discord is invite people to a scam Discord channel, set up a bot for account verification but with a phishing link. It is to steal your Discord Token ID that can help hackesr to bypass Email, 2FA, Password.

I got this information from [SCAM] Hiring Discord Moderator from @Saruc

Some simple steps to scam you and log in your account
1. Invite you to a scam Discord channel

2. Require you to verify with a fake bot (app). Example: MEE6 Fake (.app) domain

3. It requested "Token" to bypass your account without 2FA protection

A blog article officially from Discord
Policy & Safety: Common scams and what to look out for

I strongly advice you to read the full blog article as here, I only give some main bullet points.
  • Fake Games, Programs, Videos or Downloads
  • Fake Giveaways/NFT Drops
  • Discord Impersonation for Partner/Verified/HypeSquad
  • Free Nitro Scams

Pages:
Jump to: