Pages:
Author

Topic: Discussion on buying/selling accounts/users actively seeking possible bought acc - page 5. (Read 1214 times)

legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1228
I wanted to share my opinion, and of course I hope this thread will actually change my mindset about accounts sales.

As I learned to detect fraudulent accounts, I had to deliberately open through spreadsheets from campaign to campaign. I sometimes find them connected between accounts, getting different local board activity, language changes, and such. I managed to uncover several cases and solve them well. I'm also marking a few because they are trying to cheat the campaign as it is clearly intolerable.

About selling accounts, I think it's clear that some DT members really don't like it. But I'm starting to change the mindset that when an account is legally sold or changes hands [not hacked/stolen] then it's only eligible for neutral tag. I don't trust them [~] instead tag them with red tag [right now]. But when this account is planning bad intentions, such as wanting to cheat through the reputation of old users, then it's clear that it will immediately turn into a red tag. But in practice, sold accounts allow spam to increase in forum so if a neutral tag is viable for them, then there should be plenty of people willing to report spam to the moderators as well. Of course this is all about me, although there are many people who disagree with this decision.
legendary
Activity: 3584
Merit: 4420
A couple days ago a THREAD was opened on a user regarding a possibly bought/hacked account. The user who opened the thread is fairly vigilant in scam busting and does a good job at it. I think lovesmayfamilis is fairly respected among the community, so I do not want them feeling like they are being attacked here. I think they do a great job, i just feel like some situations aren't worth looking in to.

I would like to see an open discussion regarding account sales. Obviously I know they aren't illegal but the forum users frown upon the activity. I would also like opinions regarding what is worthy of seeking as far as accounts that may be bought goes? Should users go out of their way looking for a connection on accounts that have 0 reputation? Should all accounts be tagged that are guilty of or presumed bought? Is a neutral tag appropriate for accounts that are bought that have no reputation, or should accounts be ruined period?

I know there are a lot against the buying and selling of accounts. I'm one that's sort of on the fence as all situations are not the same. If a reputable account is found to be sold that there is a high possibility it was bought to be used to scam, then of course I feel like more than a warning neutral should happen. As a community we should be always looking to protect the users of the forum, but what if the account is a nobody with no trust, no interest in the DT system, obviously bought to use in a sig campaign? IMO these accounts are not really harming anyone, and a neutral tag should suffice if found to be bought. Hacked accounts/stolen accounts should be tagged with a red IMO.

I've tagged all the current DT1 members so that we as a community can try to have a discussion regarding these issues. Some will respond, some won't but we should get a better idea of the community consensus this way.

Code:
theymos
HostFat
qwk
cygan
mprep
Foxpup
Carlton Banks
philipma1957
Cyrus
ibminer
Mitchell