Pages:
Author

Topic: Disrupting Wall Street - page 2. (Read 513 times)

legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011
October 03, 2017, 10:13:47 AM
I've started recently reading A LOT about blockchains and cryptocurrency. Do you really think that this is the technology that will finally disrupt Wall Street?  After China and South Korea banned the ICO's (and cryptocurrency in China) I am still sceptikal. What do you think and how can we achieve it faster?

Wall street is already considering buying Bitcoin:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-10-02/goldman-shuns-jpmorgans-dimon-plans-bitcoin-trading-operation

As you see, their interest is obvious. Jamie Dimon can say whatever he wants, meanwhile Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs are showing clear evidences of being bullish on bitcoin. They know they can't ignore this or else they will look like massive idiots in 10 years and probably bankrupt as well.

And so is Jamie Dimon and JPMorgan/Chase despite what he publicly says. There does seem to be a concerted effort to bundle a bunch of so call bad news in packages at times perhaps in an effort to drive price down so big players can load up. I am not saying this was his intent, but if there is money to be made then you can be sure bankers will be interested in it. The crypto space doesn't yet quite have the volume that these big players need, but that will come as time goes on and I am sure in 5 years or so if he is still at the helm his outlook will have changed a bit.
Activity: 11
Merit: 0
October 03, 2017, 09:49:48 AM
The transition from most/all ICOs having some type of Blockchain technology, to any type of Startup utilizing the ICO fundraising model will result in a paradigm shift in the way Startups raise capital.

Currently, Startups have five major access routes to funding:

• Bootstrapping
  • Venture Capital
  • Angel Investment
  • intrapreneurship/Internal Corporate Funding
  • Crowdfunding (Equity & Reward Based)

Each funding route has their upsides and downsides, but more interestingly, almost every single one of them has two key business goals: 1. The Exit, or 2. The IPO.

We have the traditional statistics for Startups: 90% will fail within the first three years. 10% will go on to bigger and better things, which could mean scaling over ten years, potentially Exiting to a larger company (such as Amazon or Google), and the remaining (under) 1% will go public, with an IPO.

The introduction of the sixth major route to funding - the ICO - will hugely disrupt the entire space, allowing Startups to offer tradable tokens from their inception, which is something Wall Street can't, and won't, ever offer. Along with this new development will, of course, come a lot of over-inflated, over-valued, and hugely over-estimated companies; without Wall Street's stringent policy for IPOs, and the barrier to entry will be incredibly low.

It may take a number of years for the ICO route to truly disrupt Wall Street, but I for one think that in the near future, a token-based model will overtake the traditional IPO funding model.
Activity: 2632
Merit: 833
October 03, 2017, 09:31:52 AM
I've started recently reading A LOT about blockchains and cryptocurrency. Do you really think that this is the technology that will finally disrupt Wall Street?  After China and South Korea banned the ICO's (and cryptocurrency in China) I am still sceptikal. What do you think and how can we achieve it faster?

What do you mean disrupt Wall Street? Blockchain technology is just a ledger or database, it is the backbone behind bitcoin.

The banning of ICO has nothing to do with blockchain/bitcoin. It may disrupt the bitcoin price to a certain extent but its gonna be temporary. You don't need to be skeptical, when China announced that they are going to ban ICO, the price plummet. That's how the market reacts. Any negative news will really shift the tide of the price. However, its only temporary as you can see in the price today. It has regained and fully recovered, although you will see price correction from time to time.

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
October 03, 2017, 09:19:16 AM
The impact of ICO bans is inexistent in what regards blockchain technology adoption, both have nothing to do with each other... ICO bans have little impact in cryptocurrencies, and the impact it may have is positive.

I'm not sure how or if these technologies will disrupt stock exchanges. But they'll definitely disrupt the banking industry...
legendary
Activity: 868
Merit: 1006
October 03, 2017, 09:17:54 AM
I've started recently reading A LOT about blockchains and cryptocurrency. Do you really think that this is the technology that will finally disrupt Wall Street?  After China and South Korea banned the ICO's (and cryptocurrency in China) I am still sceptikal. What do you think and how can we achieve it faster?

Wall street is already considering buying Bitcoin:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-10-02/goldman-shuns-jpmorgans-dimon-plans-bitcoin-trading-operation

As you see, their interest is obvious. Jamie Dimon can say whatever he wants, meanwhile Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs are showing clear evidences of being bullish on bitcoin. They know they can't ignore this or else they will look like massive idiots in 10 years and probably bankrupt as well.
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
October 03, 2017, 09:00:32 AM
There will likely happen (like Ernest Hemingway said of one of his characters going broke) Gradually, then suddenly. I think the banks will resist change as long as possible and once the inevitable happens they will wholeheartedly embrace blockchain like they invented it.

If I am not mistaken they did something like this with computer trading and the internet in the past.
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
October 03, 2017, 08:52:37 AM
Pages:
Jump to: