Pages:
Author

Topic: Do rich people get off easier when they break the law? - page 2. (Read 302 times)

Activity: 350
Merit: 7
Not really. It all depends on the strength of the law in that country. If the country has a strong law, whoever his offender, surely he will get punished. But unfortunately in my own country, the laws are very weak. Therefore many wealthy people do bribe for punishment eliminated
Activity: 504
Merit: 252
That happens most of the time. Although it is more rampant in the underdeveloped countries, the same pattern can also be observed even in the countries that are as advanced as the United States of America. We know that our society is so hospitable and considerate to rich and influential people. Even the law seems to show its teeth only to the poor and the underprivileged ones. The government can always tame the law for the sake of certain individuals.
Activity: 350
Merit: 41
Absolutely. It is a widely accepted fact that money influences decisions when it comes to crime. Not least because they can afford the best lawyers, bribes, blood money, etc. Doesn't always hold true, but I'm waiting to get rich before I commit a crime, just in case...
Activity: 38
Merit: 1
I don't know whether it is only in my country but it so happens that the laws exist to protect the rich in my society to the detriment of the poor.
We have the rich flouting the minimum wage rate is flouted with impunity. The poor however are quickly punished for the slightest mistake.
A poor man in my country stole a tuber of yam to feed his family but was apprehended and imprisoned.The rich loot with impunity
Activity: 196
Merit: 3
Soycoin is the future "stablecoin"
That's the advantage of having huge amount of money. They can do whatever they want, go wherever they want and the likes. If something's happens, theere is their money to back them up. I can't even get away with the fact that justice can be bought. How about the victims? What will happen? They won't be receiving the justice they deserve because they don't have money.  Embarrassed Embarrassed
Activity: 1470
Merit: 325
I honestly think rich people get off easier in some cases. Not just the rich but also celebrities. I think as mainly because of the money and because of status of certain people. Because I have seen videos of celebrities not getting in trouble with the police because the police realized who the person was or the status of that person. I'm not saying they get away with it all the time but often I believe do

it depends, ususally they can afford better lawyers and are better educated,

but there can be cases where the society wants to punish the rich, like in china where a rich son of communist functionair drive over a girl and she died, he was executed to appease the internet mob.

it depends vastly on the situation in the society
Activity: 51
Merit: 0
Yes.

Saudi millionaire who said he 'accidentally tripped and penetrated' teenage girl cleared of rape.
He said it was possible he had semen on his hands from having sex with a 24-year-old woman earlier

No, it's not in Saudi or Qatar. It happend in London and a London court cleared him.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/millionaire-ehsan-abdulaziz-who-said-he-accidentally-tripped-and-penetrated-teen-is-cleared-of-rape-a6774946.html
Activity: 85
Merit: 1
As far as I know, punishement of similar crimes sometimes depends of the economic status, but many times it is seem disproportionate. When there are fixed fees the richer the better.

I think their contacts can make influential people get off easier, but at the same time if they break the law they will lose part or all of that influence by social punishement.
Activity: 22
Merit: 0
I honestly think rich people get off easier in some cases. Not just the rich but also celebrities. I think as mainly because of the money and because of status of certain people. Because I have seen videos of celebrities not getting in trouble with the police because the police realized who the person was or the status of that person. I'm not saying they get away with it all the time but often I believe do
Pages:
Jump to: