Pages:
Author

Topic: Do we need merit sources for low ranks? - page 3. (Read 957 times)

legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 5937
February 13, 2020, 09:18:10 AM
I  heard merit sources complaining that they have issues finding low ranked members with posts worth meriting, so somehow I doubt merit source specifically dedicated for lower rank is a good idea. Sounds to me like a lot of hassle and work.

Few months ago theymos increased merit allocation for active merit sources and removed inactive ones. Something like that is more elegant solution, imo.
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 6524
Fully-fledged Merit Cycler|Spambuster'23|Pie Baker
February 13, 2020, 09:06:47 AM
I kept thinking about this lately.

I know merit sources are generally thorough with analyzing posts from all ranks, as they should be.

However, I was thinking if it would be a good idea to have merit sources dedicated only to low ranks (Newbies and Jr. Members), from the following reasons:

- I saw often that merit sources keep saying they are out of sMerits. Sometimes this implies not just without the sMerits received for being merit sources, but also without the sMerits they received as being regular users. Thus, I think there are either too few merit sources or their sMerits received for being merit sources is too low. Having merit sources looking only for low rank members would imply: (1) more merit sources and (2) a certain amount of merit going directly to low rank members. If the current merit sources give their sMerits to all ranks, once they are out of sMerits they can't give merit to a low rank member, even if they would intend to do that (of course, considering the respective user has a post deserving a merit).

- considering that current merit sources remain very often without sMerits, if there is a number of such sources dedicated only to lower ranks, all the other merit sources could concentrate eventually on higher ranks. For example: a merit source won't have the feeling of "guilty conscience" in case he / she wants to merit a low rank user and he / she remained without sMerits, knowing that even if he / she can't award himself / herself the respective user, several merit sources dedicated to low ranks are out there and there are high chances that the respective user will still be rewarded.

What do you think?
Pages:
Jump to: