Pages:
Author

Topic: Do we own two bitcoins? - page 2. (Read 923 times)

Activity: 60
Merit: 0
August 20, 2017, 08:37:08 AM
2. Don't create addresses on bitaddress, not safe.

Why is it not safe to keep coins through Bitadresses? What is a better/safer way to store them?
August 20, 2017, 08:30:00 AM
you have only ONE bitcoin and will always have ONE bitcoin no matter what is going on in the world of cryptocurrencies.

what you additionally have is an airdrop. there are actually a lot of them. at least 8 of them are currently running and you can claim them as long as you (1) hold your private keys (2) had any balance in those addresses prior to certain block heights.

the active airdrops that i can remember are as follows:
BitCore
Byteball
Bitcoin Cash
Stellar

What is an airdrop? Smiley I am a tech-moron so I don't know what that is in practice.

So you can claim all these other coins/tokens as well?

Does that mean that your total value, assuming that you have one Bitcoin, are as follows: 1 bitcoin + 1 bitcore + 1 bitcoin cash + stellar + Byteball= around 5100 dollars?

Interesting that Byteball is worth around 300 dollars or something. Almost as Bitcoin Cash. What is Byteball and when did that airdrop happen?

August 20, 2017, 08:19:09 AM
You only have one Bitcoin, and you have one Bitcoin Cash token. You do not effectively double the amount of BTC you have because there was a network split.

These are both very distinct and individual chains, you cannot use one on the other. If an exchange or website supports BCH, they will specify that it is BCH and that BTC is not accepted for that address. If it is BTC, they will specify that it is only BTC and any BCH will be lost if sent to the same address.

Both are different and have different values as well. Keep that information in mind because it is pretty important.

Ok

This is confusing to me. So If you send your BitCoin, from your old private adress, from bitadress, to an exchange that supports both types of BitCoin, will you then have two bitcoins showing up on that exchange? Assuming that this exchange supports both bitcoin and bitcoin cash I mean.

If you had one Bitcoin before the split, will you then have one Bitcoin on that exchange and one token called Bitcoin Cash? So they will show up as two coins there?

Or what do you mean that you did not double your amount of bitcoins? I understand that you have the same amount of Bitcoins as before. But you also have as many tokens of Bitcoin cash as you have Bitcoins, after the split. So in effect you doubled your bitcoin even though it is not the same kind of Bitcoin, or is this wrong? Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007
August 19, 2017, 08:08:12 PM
You only have one Bitcoin, and you have one Bitcoin Cash token. You do not effectively double the amount of BTC you have because there was a network split.

These are both very distinct and individual chains, you cannot use one on the other. If an exchange or website supports BCH, they will specify that it is BCH and that BTC is not accepted for that address. If it is BTC, they will specify that it is only BTC and any BCH will be lost if sent to the same address.

Both are different and have different values as well. Keep that information in mind because it is pretty important.
Activity: 966
Merit: 535
August 19, 2017, 08:00:09 PM
you have only ONE bitcoin and will always have ONE bitcoin no matter what is going on in the world of cryptocurrencies.

what you additionally have is an airdrop. there are actually a lot of them. at least 8 of them are currently running and you can claim them as long as you (1) hold your private keys (2) had any balance in those addresses prior to certain block heights.

BitCore
Byteball
Bitcoin Cash
Stellar

Nice ! Nice ! Do you have a link to the least one so I an see what you talking about and maybe make a claim. Is it just Bitcoin you need to be holding ? I love the airdrops it's a nice way to get some coins and see what they like. Also obviously make a profit.

If it helps anyway yobig was one if the places that gave bitcoin cash. Yolodice also does it.
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1078
August 19, 2017, 11:55:21 AM
To you guys who have owned Bitcoin for a while.

As long as you did not have your BitCoin on a bitcoin-stockexchange, during the split, you now have both BitCoin cash and Bitcoin core, right?  

As long as you created your address on BitAddress, and then memorized the address in your head, on a paper or in cold storage, you now have both types of BitCoin, right?  

Is there some other scenario in which you now only have one BitCoin, except for those who had their BitCoin on an exchange during the split?

If you have two BitCoins, how do you go about selling your BitCoins now? And how do you know if you are selling Bitcoin Core or Bitcoin Cash?  

1. Yeah, some exchanges credited their users with BCH.

2. Don't create addresses on bitaddress, not safe. Yeah, if you created an address and wrote down the private keys then you have both bitcoin and bitcoin cash, assuming you created an address and transferred some funds to it before the split, August 1.

3. Point 1 & 2. If you had bitcoins in your address before the split, then you have the equivalent BCH, private key matters, not exchanges.

4. There is bitcoin and there is BCH or bitcoin cash. You can sell BCH on Kraken, Poloniex, and Bittrex (on Bittrex it is BCC).

Bitcoin on an exchange, not stock exchange.
Activity: 1106
Merit: 501
August 19, 2017, 11:27:46 AM
Actually they have different wallet, you claim your BCH, you just need to memorize the key in able to claim it. They have different initial, BTC (meaning Bitcoin Core) while the other is BCH (which means Bitcoin Cash), you'll gonna know it if you look at your balance, you will deposit the bitcoin cash from a designated wallet so there would be no confusion regarding those two.
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1292
There is trouble abrewing
August 19, 2017, 11:26:07 AM

BitCore
Byteball
Bitcoin Cash
Stellar
August 19, 2017, 11:05:44 AM
To you guys who have owned Bitcoin for a while.

As long as you did not have your BitCoin on a bitcoin-stockexchange, during the split, you now have both BitCoin cash and Bitcoin core, right? 

As long as you created your address on BitAddress, and then memorized the address in your head, on a paper or in cold storage, you now have both types of BitCoin, right? 

Is there some other scenario in which you now only have one BitCoin, except for those who had their BitCoin on an exchange during the split?

If you have two BitCoins, how do you go about selling your BitCoins now? And how do you know if you are selling Bitcoin Core or Bitcoin Cash? 

Pages:
Jump to: