Pages:
Author

Topic: Do you read unmerited replies? - page 2. (Read 282 times)

legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1359
June 29, 2022, 04:16:26 PM
I don't know about you guys but these days i found myself ignoring unmerited responses in a topic and tend to only read the merited ones because they're "usually" more relevant to the topic and contain more valuable informations,and in big topics with multiple pages it gets difficult to sort them out.

Yes, there is some truth to what you say here, merit is not a measuring stick for quality of posts, but it is a good indicator and will give you an idea as to whether the post you are reading is likely to be of good quality. I have observed, however, that there is no standard or clear guidelines that governs posts that generate merit. You will have to judge for yourself whether the post you are reading is worthwhile or not. For example, we have posts that have received a lot of merits but in reality, they are not so good and some that are truly crappy. It is important to be aware of that when reading posts. Don't take everything on face value. So, I don't judge posts based solely on merit, I consider the content quality as well as engagement.

I don't know if this was suggested before (sorry for repeating if it was) but wouldn't it be better if the replies with the most merites be shown at the top (instead of the most recent ones) and so on kinda like a reddit upvote system,or at least to add a sorting option to switch between these two display modes (by time of posting or merites recieved).

Is a system like this feasible,and can we see something like this implemented in the near future ?

No, I do not think something like this will ever be implemented on a bitcointalk forum. For starters, this would mean favoring posts from an elite group of members (high-ranking members usually get more merits than newcomers). Secondly, such a system could be easily manipulated in threads that typically do not attract a lot of merits. Thirdly, such a system would require an "us" versus "them" mindset, which is contrary to what bitcointalk stands for.
Activity: 854
Merit: 1031
Only BTC
June 29, 2022, 03:21:41 PM
Is a system like this feasible,and can we see something like this implemented in the near future ?
No it is not. A merited reply is not always the most informative response on a topic, it is possible that the post that contains the most accurate information goes unmerited. You shouldn't also read only merited replies, would that mean that you do not read threads that no merits were sent throughout the discussion, or that you wouldn't have joined the forum nor read any threads here if Theymos never introduced the merit system.
I guarantee you, take this into account and your problem will be fixed:
1. Almost every person who wears Chipmixer signature is a quality poster.
2. Persons who have high merits from global sections and not from Local ones, are usually good posters.
Quality posters are not judged by the signature they wear.
It does not matter the section you earn your merits, people mostly send merits to great posts, except the merit is bought, so if a member gets many merits from their local board it is because they are making great posts.
Activity: 151
Merit: 18
June 29, 2022, 03:18:36 PM
I don't know about you guys but these days i found myself ignoring unmerited responses in a topic and tend to only read the merited ones because they're "usually" more relevant to the topic and contain more valuable informations,and in big topics with multiple pages it gets difficult to sort them out.

I don't know if this was suggested before (sorry for repeating if it was) but wouldn't it be better if the replies with the most merites be shown at the top (instead of the most recent ones) and so on kinda like a reddit upvote system,or at least to add a sorting option to switch between these two display modes (by time of posting or merites recieved).

Thanks for reading
If we don't read unmerited posts, then how are posters gonna get merits? Doesn't make sense Cheesy

I wasn't saying we need to delete all the unmerited replies just give them less exposure (kinda like reddit upvote thing).

2. Persons who have high merits from global sections and not from Local ones, are usually good posters.
3. Use Ignore option on spammers.
Thanks for these tips,I knew about the ignore feature but im too lazy for it Grin
Activity: 882
Merit: 792
Watch Bitcoin Documentary - https://t.ly/v0Nim
June 29, 2022, 03:08:05 PM

Thanks for reading
If we don't read unmerited posts, then how are posters gonna get merits? Doesn't make sense Cheesy

3. Use Ignore option on spammers.
Activity: 151
Merit: 18
June 29, 2022, 02:45:27 PM

Thanks for reading
Pages:
Jump to: