Pages:
Author

Topic: Do you really believe in bitcoin as a currency? - page 5. (Read 8274 times)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0
I believe it will change the world in quite a significant way.  Crypto anyway, maybe not bitcoin.
Yes one day, but not only change but rule the world!
Activity: 476
Merit: 251
I believe it will change the world in quite a significant way.  Crypto anyway, maybe not bitcoin.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
It is a currency so yes Indeed I do believe in it
legendary
Activity: 826
Merit: 1001
rippleFanatic
Not currency, but valuable commodity.

Given the fact it is P2P, bitcoin cannot be banned, seized or whatever  Smiley

I agree. Since day 1 (about $0.85 in my case), I've saw far greater potential was as a speculative asset / offshore value-storage account, than as a grandma's e-currency for online payments. Gavin was one of the people always pushing to sign up merchants to use as a "currency" (he signed up his neighbors to sell alpaca socks), instead of a game about "buying low and selling high". But clearly, such efforts are futile.
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
cryptocurrencies have a great potential to become somethig like LTC was before. I mean some of cryptos
Activity: 122
Not currency, but valuable commodity.

Given the fact it is P2P, bitcoin cannot be banned, seized or whatever  Smiley
Activity: 728
Merit: 500
No.

It won't replace fiat. Other cryptos might but not the bitcoin...
msc
Activity: 282
Merit: 250
As a currency no, as a commodity yes. It's a bit slow to use for purchases and everyone is hoarding like crazy!
Yes, I like it as a commodity, and for person-to-person transactions.

I hope not to see any meaningful altcoin competition, though.  Altcoins are fine if you want to invest in them as a commodity, but I don't think they add anything as a yet another payment method. 
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030
Twitter @realmicroguy
Do you really believe in bitcoin as a currency?

Absolutely!

And I think Bitcoin is just the beginning! What we'll see next is a recognition by consumers that alternatives exist, then a demand for these alternatives, then an integration of these alternatives into the existing Bitcoin merchant POS systems. Like Visa, Mastercard, and Discover, people will use different coin payment methods via a common POS device.

As this process evolves, capital will begin spilling over into the altcoin sector and a healthy competition will develop between currencies.
Activity: 12
Yes,  there is an interesting bitcoin to company gift card economy growing. The dollar should have been worthless for over 40 years now, the situation is unsustainable. It is in everyone's best interest, including central bankers, to have alternative means of doing business for when the dollar is finally done in.
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003
As a currency no, as a commodity yes. It's a bit slow to use for purchases and everyone is hoarding like crazy!
Activity: 528
Merit: 527
Bitcoin is the most groundbreaking invention you will witness during your lifetime.

I hope not...I want immortality, but will settle for full body rejuvenation.

The thing is that in order for that to happen, Bitcoin MUST be successful or I won't be able to afford it before entropy ends my life.

I don't care that much about money, but living a thousand years...that is a goal worth reaching for and the reason I am all in.
Activity: 56
Bitcoin is the most groundbreaking invention you will witness during your lifetime.

That's ridiculous. I hope you are trolling.
legendary
Activity: 2184
Merit: 1011
Franko is Freedom
I think bitcoin as a currency will help promote spending awareness. For instance, 2 years ago I spent 400 bitcoins on a $200 item that has since been long gone.. That was a really bad decision. Today, I spend my btc alot more cautiously, or just use fiat. Which then makes me question.. Will everyone start doing the same thing? Does deflation encourage hoarding? And if so, how will we be able to promote wealth redistribution?
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1132
I don't think it's the most groundbreaking thing we'll witness in a lifetime, but... that's because we live in some  particularly interesting times.  Grin  I expect to see human-scale AI and permanent off-earth colonies before another 20 or 40  years go by.

I believe in Bitcoin as a payment mechanism.  It is faster, cheaper, safer, and less hassle to send a payment with bitcoin than it is to send a payment virtually any other way.  

Therefore, it solves a multi-trillion dollar problem for the world and I believe in its future.

I don't think it's going to replace "currency" except for in a few places where currency is particularly plagued with problems (Argentine currency crises, Cypriot 'bail ins', Brazilian 'Economic warfare countermeasures' etc).  People will flee to it when their governments betray them, but contrary to what some suppose, governments aren't 100% betrayal 100% of the time.  Some of them even do a better job of regulating their currency supply than Bitcoin's rather rigid rules will allow.  A bitcoin economy will boom and crash on fairly short cycles, consistent with an absolutely fixed money supply -- better than a completely idiotic financial policy which booms much longer, crashes much deeper, and occasionally melts down completely and has to issue a new currency and start over, but not as good as a well-considered monetary policy which doesn't boom and crash much at all.  

In the extreme case bitcoin may become a 'reserve currency' for financial institutions, but more traditional reserves (such as gold) have properties that are just as good for that purpose so it has to be considered as a diversification rather than a primary strategy.
Activity: 528
Merit: 527
Absolutely, won't touch my cold storage wallet till I can use it for everyday purchases. I am using my hot wallet to make small purchases to help the economy grow.

Waiting for my local Subway to accept bitcoin so I have an excuse to buy an android phone.
Activity: 119
Activity: 395
Market Integration Platform
I believe in bitcoin as a currency. That's why I accept payments in bitcoin on my small libertarian onlineshop. :-)

http://www.libertystore.de
Activity: 196
I think crypto is neat, that is crypto based currencies Smiley
Activity: 126
Unfortunately for me, I haven't been around bitcoin for long enough, just a few months, however I really believe in it.

I believe this first one is a world first:- (unless ofc you know better?)

To do my bit I've setup wallets on my daughters Phones and I pay their pocket money (allowance I think USA refer to it as) in bitcoins. They love to watch it increase daily. To cash out I buy them back at the current rate whenever they require.

I have also setup accepting payment by bitcoin for a couple of small real world (not online) business that I own.

I'm working on paying staff by bitcoins too, if not fully, at least in part.

What's your help in spreading it to the masses?

Do you really believe in bitcoin as a currency?
Pages:
Jump to: