Pages:
Author

Topic: Do you really care if your data is exploited?? - page 5. (Read 1487 times)

Activity: 112
Merit: 0
That is why sharing of information and what information you want to be private should be set on private mode, always visit your setting to lock information you want to keep private because everyone can see your profile or what's inside your account if you don't set things proper it's your problem not the the viewer....
legendary
Activity: 3094
Merit: 1127
I recently stumbled upon a project called Algebraix and they brought up some really good points about data exploitation on their blog (https://medium.com/algebraix-data). So it brought me to ask the question: do we really care if our data is exploited?

With huge scandals like Facebook and Cambridge Analytica, this issue is brought into the lime light. I'm really curious if you guys care or not
Ive been wondering whose person isnt really concerned about his identity or personal information? None,right? The thing here is that we do already done things which we do expose of our identity not might directly but just basing out on our social media accounts you are already giving out information and yes those scandals happen on facebook.Arent we aware that informations can really be sell out or being used up for their benefits? This is why i do really care about any info given out on this online world.
Activity: 150
Merit: 10
If I could erase myself from the internet I would, but sadly it's far too late.

Did anyone see that you get 25k ALX tokens if you sign up for their web platform?? This is a good opportunity to try out a platform that protects data privacy. it's here: getalx.com
Activity: 65
But when you want to participate in any project that you have to accept that.
Activity: 994
Merit: 257
I recently stumbled upon a project called Algebraix and they brought up some really good points about data exploitation on their blog (https://medium.com/algebraix-data). So it brought me to ask the question: do we really care if our data is exploited?

With huge scandals like Facebook and Cambridge Analytica, this issue is brought into the lime light. I'm really curious if you guys care or not
Of course you should care about  your data being exploited without your consent, most people now investing in icos are going through this problem, they would like to invest in an ico but they are not willing to give their data since they know very well that a hacker an use that information to steal your identity, so while losing money by investing in a bad ico is bad losing your information is many times worse.
Activity: 672
Merit: 250
I don't see why we shouldn't care especially since we could get framed for shit we didn't do.. Better safe than sorry right?
The best way to secure our data is not to give our personal information to anyone especially anonymous websites. Just search the required one and no need to fill in simple form of personal data. I never used these sites. Google and Facebook are well known and you have no worry to give your personal information to register and to visit these sites.
Activity: 23
I do not react to the fact that my personal information is used without my knowledge. Unfortunately, all our data are in the state structures and they can be used if necessary.
Activity: 756
Merit: 500
If the data I provided to FB or the same network isn't that much and unimportant I think it's not a problem at all.

They'll just use it to show you some ads that you might get interested but if there's another reason of tracking people and stalking us through our data's then that's another thing.
yes, I agree with you, I do not care if they just want to see my data, maybe they want to improve their service, but if they want to lurk and intend with certain intentions, I might refuse it, because personal data is very important if used for a bad goal would be very detrimental to its users,
There are some authentic sites where we can put our data without the fear of misuse and if there is an anonymous site wants our data we should not provide correct data. By this way we can secure ourselves from hacking and anything else. There is no need to give exact data about yourself to Facebook beset it is not important like Google.
Activity: 28
For me I don't really care if it is anonymous data for research purposes to improve something from the service or generally for the body of knowledge. But if it is personally directly linked to my personality then it is another thing. That means they can directly cause harm to me and possibly steal my identity. Another issue is that they would be able to act as me and be able to get control of my bank accounts since they can call the bank and pretend to be me.
I really care if my data is exploited with any reasons. Maybe they will break into my wallet online and take all the money, even impersonate me borrowing my friend money, or impersonate me cheating others I'm really afraid of that ...
Activity: 70

Yes I do, there are too fraud happening out there what if you are mixed up in some fraudulent activities or someone getting access to your money and other stuff like that.
Activity: 448
Merit: 100
Our personal data is so important that it could mean our whole life. If anything about us can easily get access by anyone then then it's also easy for us to track us or set us up for a crime like a fall guy.
Activity: 2198
Merit: 847
Oh man, the main idea is what's written and shown in your data, nothing more. For example who the hell does cares about me if I do everything legally? Why do I have to hide? No one can damage me but in reality I may be full of illegalities but this must be kept private in order to keep fresh data which if exploited, can't benefit anyone, especially your enemies.
Activity: 184
Merit: 1

I care a lot but it's hard to avoid tbh. If algebraix offers this solution I will look into it heavily
Activity: 336
Merit: 10
Every human being have an information about themselves that they wouldn't want anyone to know. Getting your data out there exposes everything and puts you at a greater risk. Almost every person wouldn't want that to happen to him/her
Activity: 882
Merit: 976
In this day and age, it amazes me how many people give up their privacy so easily to sites such as Facebook. I recently logged out of my Facebook profile (I wish I could delete my account, but I am admin to too many business pages), and have been shocked to discover how much data FB actually collects about you, even when you're not on their website. I have a strong background with social media, and have worked for a fairly large site before, and I know what went on behind-the-scenes to collect data for advertising purposes, but that was a decade ago.

Technology has evolved, and there are definitely major privacy intrusions happening all around us, as can be seen in this video: Facebook iPhone Listening into our Conversations for Advertising TEST

The scariest thing about it? We give them permission by accepting all of the privacy policies and terms when we register for a site or service.
legendary
Activity: 3542
Merit: 1162
www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games
Hell yes I care.. Most times, they might claim that the information collected is for research but at the end, you end seeing your information with another third part. Don't be surprised that most time, they hand your information to the government. I remember I saw a  thread in this  forum where a  is user complaining their his centralized exchange handed his info to government for probe.
The idea of centralized exchange handing over documents to government for probe is something that everyone should actually expect anyway which was the main reason the government of course imposes KYC policy on the exchanges.

All the above, in the case of Facebook and other social media pages, they are more like selling our data to the highest bidder for research purposes as they so call it, and I do not believe anyway that a social media will have huge information that would implicate anyone. We may care about our data, but we cannot do anything about it, can we?
Activity: 191
Merit: 12
I care a lot and if companies like Algebraix keep my data private with blockchain tech, I am down. Great project to look into too. I always enjoy watching content. It's nice that they pay you to do that.
Activity: 826
Merit: 263
If your data has been breached then not only lose personal information and assets, but you are also risking the protection of you and your family. There are some hackers that not only blackmail you some of them are so extreme they also kidnap your love one or worse kill you. That is why protection of your data is really important because you do not know who you are dealing on the other side of the internet.

But if you are using google search for finding the everything you will loose your data automatically. When you clearing the cache details you can all information at there mate. Hackers are really pointing your date while you are tor browser or accessing the darkweb sites.
There are some whitelist sites are also stealing the data of the normal users mate.
Activity: 574
Merit: 12
do we really care if our data is exploited?

I don't care if my data is exploited, I'm likely irrelevent within the grand scheme of things.

There is a danger in state's having too much surveillance. I'll try to give you an example. Let's say a government decided bitcoin is dangerous and decided to target bitcoin developers or miners. They could use surveillance networks to leak data on pro bitcoin supporters in order to wage an smear campaign against them. This could sound farfetched but similar things have happened in the past. An example of this is the IRS targeting conservative groups and occupy wallstreet in the USA for political reasons:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IRS_targeting_controversy

In theory, state surveillance is supposed to be utilized towards things like cracking down on spying by foreign nations. Countries like china are known to steal trillions of dollars in intellectual and copyrighted property from countries like the USA. This is the type of thing state surveillance is supposed to prevent. But in the real world, surveillance seldom appears utilized for the official reasons claimed.
This does not bother you now with the use of your identification data, because you do not have problems with them and consider them insignificant. This is far from the case. Imagine that policemen break into your house or apartment, put handcuffs on you and conduct a search. And then they explain that you have registered a mansion on your data, whose family is found dead and you are suspected of involvement in these terrible crimes. You are taken to the police station, hung on an iron rod under your arms and within a maximum of forty minutes you will be ready to sign any confessions, including how you and the other suspects in the police committed these murders. Believe me, after such a situation it is very difficult to get out not stained and being in prison for ten years, then you realize how important it is to protect your confidential data.
Activity: 297
Merit: 1
If your data has been breached then not only lose personal information and assets, but you are also risking the protection of you and your family. There are some hackers that not only blackmail you some of them are so extreme they also kidnap your love one or worse kill you. That is why protection of your data is really important because you do not know who you are dealing on the other side of the internet.
Pages:
Jump to: