Pages:
Author

Topic: Do you think Bitmain make better than 16nm in future? I think no. - page 2. (Read 2835 times)

legendary
Activity: 3304
Merit: 1842
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
Yeah, the bottom-clock efficiency of the BM1385 at 28nm is only a little bit worse than stock setpoint of Avalon's new 16nm; I think it's spec'd down to about 0.18J/GH chip-level and I've seen an S7 get 0.22J/GH wall. It ain't easy but it's doable.
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506
Evil beware: We have waffles!
BM1385 is the S7 chip and is 28nm; BM1387 is the S9 chip and is 16nm.
Ja. The '132 and '134 were laid out using standard automated chip design tools for the 28nm node - nicely functional, faster/cheaper to use but far from the best way to do it. Usually the biggest thing that suffers is timing of data to/from the cores. In other words - speed.

The '135 circuits layout inside them was 'hand-optimized' for pure performance. In other words people actually looked at the layout tools output and ran it through simulations, go back to the tools and tweak, re-sim, etc. several times to get highest throughput. Hell, given that by then 28nm tech was pretty much mature (read: lowish-cost) Bitmain no doubt had several runs of test wafers ran to verify results each time.

As a result he '135 was still 28nm node but performed much better than its 'quick and dirty' precursor. OF course also helped that Bitmain started using the 2-sided heat sinks with the s7 and were able to push more power into them but still able to keep a good GHs/J spec...

For a current (last October) write up of node-size What's To Come, http://spectrum.ieee.org/semiconductors/devices/leading-chipmakers-eye-euv-lithography-to-save-moores-law

They say 'maybe as soon as 2018' (emphasis mine). Not specifically said is that those chips will first be destined for SOC's integrating high-end CPU, GPU and FPGA-style processing with all attendant support circuits in one chip. Eventually will trickle down to boutique chips but don't hold your breath.
legendary
Activity: 3304
Merit: 1842
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
BM1385 is the S7 chip and is 28nm; BM1387 is the S9 chip and is 16nm.
legendary
Activity: 4102
Merit: 7765
'The right to privacy matters'
To toss some more wood on the fire.

The 16nm chip from bitmaintech is meh.

now if I recall

BM1382 is 28nm

https://enshop.bitmain.com/files/download/BM1382_Datasheet_v3.0.pdf

and BM1384 is 28nm

so if BM1385 is 16nm

BM1387 could be 16nm  and it would work better

as for a 10nm  3 or more  years from now 

and for a 7nm 5 to 8 years.
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506
Evil beware: We have waffles!
They probably already have 14nm chips but just making money out of the 16nm chips for as long as possible (look at the prices of the miners, they don't go down when they release new batches) then once they have figured out how best to incorporate the 14nm asic into a miner they will build them for themselves and earn from them inhouse.
And just pray tell who Bitmain would have making 14nm chips for them?
TSMC does not and will not have anything at that node, their next target is around 10nm. Intel and IBM Foundries are for-internal-use only and Samsung mostly is as well which leaves GloFo and they would be the first to announce someone is using them... There are NO other Foundries on this planet able to produce 14nm chips much less anything smaller.
Activity: 2478
Merit: 621
Just look for the next big hashrate jump on the blockchain. That will be the newest gear being switched on. Most companies in any field of research and development have things in the pipeline years before they get released. Bitmain is no different they would already be working on more efficient miners before the S9 was even bought out. The chip development is one thing but the programming and communication of the chip into a pcb and eventually miner is another. They probably already have 14nm chips but just making money out of the 16nm chips for as long as possible (look at the prices of the miners, they don't go down when they release new batches) then once they have figured out how best to incorporate the 14nm asic into a miner they will build them for themselves and earn from them inhouse. Only once someone else builds something competitive they will release it to the public and earn even more.

Lets just hope when that day comes that its better than the last few batches of S9's.
Activity: 708
Merit: 250
Like every technology makers...

I think they already have some better equipments made..Just waiting that everything is sold, making money, and when competitors will try to make their better asics available, they will release another better miner for customers.

I think they already 1 year or 2 in advance into miners, but not releasing those at the moment. ( marketing )
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183
dogiecoin.com
14nm to 10nm is a huge, huge gain again so eventually the benefits will outweigh the costs.
copper member
Activity: 55
Merit: 0
Builder of big stable mining farms since 2011.
I think bitmain now going to produce, mine and not for invest for development new chips for maybe years...
Because 14nm is not such move forward to invest much money what it need.

What you think about? Because if I am right, we can start nice investment in miners today. S9 will be here for long time.
Pages:
Jump to: