Pages:
Author

Topic: Does any wallet software use the heuristic of adding a dust UTXO in each TX? - page 2. (Read 282 times)

legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18503
Isn't Bitcoin Core and some wallets already have a coin selection strategy?
Yes, plenty of wallets will automatically select inputs, and plenty of wallets do so in a way which compromises the user's privacy. All I'm saying is that I wouldn't want to use such a wallet or feature.

this algorithm will favor larger UTXOS that do not generate dust change & try to use ur old dust at the same time.
Yes, this is exactly what I'm saying. It would automatically include any dust inputs in to a transaction you are making so they are consolidated in to useful change at the same time. This is bad for privacy unless you are very carefully selecting which inputs to use.

As I said u add the extra fee for only 1 more UTXO input not a complete TX, and the algorithm will not do it if it costs the user.
A P2PKH input is still ~148 vbytes. Given that a dust input could be as low as 546 sats, then even a fee as low as 4 sats/vbyte might cost you more than the value of your input.

The whole idea is to accumulate the old dust to ur new change with minimal cost
If you don't care about privacy, then the best solution is simply to consolidate all the dust in your wallet at once whenever you make a 1 sat/vbyte transaction. If you do care about privacy, then you should try to avoid creating dust in the first place, and if you do, then be very selective about which other inputs you consolidate it with.
Activity: 228
Merit: 156
2 - Privacy. I absolutely would not want a wallet which included unnecessary inputs in to my transaction without me telling it to. This would result in change addresses from previous transactions being linked to new transactions you are making, and greatly compromising your privacy.
Isn't Bitcoin Core and some wallets already have a coin selection strategy?
The idea of a wallet choosing which UTXOS is there from the beginning, maybe it's optional in some wallets but it exists, or am I missing something here?

As I understand, you are proposing a system that whenever you make a bitcoin transaction which will create some amount of non-dust change, the wallet automatically includes any dust inputs you have in your wallet to consolidate them in to your non-dust change and make them useful again.

It's not whenever u have a "non dust" change, it's the selection method to avoid generating "dust" change and use ur previously generated dust at the same time
Instead of choosing the closest match like Bitcoin Core Branch& Bound selection algorithm does, this algorithm will favor larger UTXOS that do not generate dust change & try to use ur old dust at the same time.

you might end up spending more to include the dust input than the dust input is actually worth. You may end up losing money by consolidating it.
As I said u add the extra fee for only 1 more UTXO input not a complete TX, and the algorithm will not do it if it costs the user
In this case the algorithm will only make sure the new change is not dust by choosing a larger UTXO
The whole idea is to accumulate the old dust to ur new change with minimal cost
legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 5176
As I understand, you are proposing a system that whenever you make a bitcoin transaction which will create some amount of non-dust change, the wallet automatically includes any dust inputs you have in your wallet to consolidate them in to your non-dust change and make them useful again.
My understanding from OP's proposal:

Let's say you have three UTXOs.

UTXO A: 0.0010 BTC
UTXO B: 0.0011 BTC
UTXO C: 0.0012 BTC

If you want to send 0.001196 BTC (the fee is included), your wallet will probably use the UTXO C. This will cause your transaction to have a dust change.
OP is proposing an algorithm in which the wallet uses UTXOs A and B instead of UTXO C.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18503

There are two main issues with this.

1 - Fees. Depending on how full the mempool is and how much you decide to pay in fees, you might end up spending more to include the dust input than the dust input is actually worth. You may end up losing money by consolidating it.
2 - Privacy. I absolutely would not want a wallet which included unnecessary inputs in to my transaction without me telling it to. This would result in change addresses from previous transactions being linked to new transactions you are making, and greatly compromising your privacy.
First of all, note that you should consider the transaction fee too.
So, your proposal should be:
Select UTXOs A & a in way so that, A + a - X - f is not a dust, where f is transaction fee.
No problem with that, I referred to X as all whatever the user is going to pay

Secondly note that if A + a - X - f is a dust, the transaction cannot be broadcast at all.
What do you mean Sir here?!
-I'm talking about a coin selection algorithm that implicitly mitigates the dust problem, if the difference is dust the algorithm will not choose those A&a in the first place.
-Ofcourse the algorithm naturally chooses from the available UTXOS; for example if a user has only one UTXO then let it be, if the user wants to choose the UTXOS by himself then the algorithm (software) will just notify him/her of an existing better deal of using his dust at a cost of 1 input only or saving his change from being dust.
-If, I mean for example, Bitcoin core ever applied it I really don't know if they let their user choose.

Good as long as the output isn't the one that'll be changed when the change is dust unless the user specified/agreed (eg. via checkbox).
Most users will find sudden change in output amount, however small it is, a bad feature.
Again your words are not clear to me Sir, I'm talking about/suggesting a coin selection method that uses the existing dust with min cost & tries to avoid creating new dust.
What is the bad feature?or the sudden change in the output amount?
I did not suggest anything that leads to sudden change in the value of the output users usually call "change"
I really don't understand from where came the misunderstanding?
 or why?
I'm answering & explaining every detail for the sake of the record ( the group record of the post with its comments)
legendary
Activity: 2338
Merit: 5297
Self-proclaimed Genius
-snip-
Does any wallet already does that?
Whether there's or there's not, what do u think about such a strategy
Good as long as the output isn't the one that'll be changed when the change is dust unless the user specified/agreed (eg. via checkbox).
Most users will find sudden change in output amount, however small it is, a bad feature.
It's best to just add the dust to the transaction fee if it reached the "dust threshold", preset or set by the user.
With that, you should have an advanced option to set the maximum amount to be considered as dust based from the users' preference.

As hosseinimir mentioned, Electrum have a similar feature but it's only when the change is lower than the "standard" output amount which is currently 547 satoshi.
My suggestion is to implement a similar feature but the "amount" is dust or the range set be the user.
legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 5176
First of all, note that you should consider the transaction fee too.
So, your proposal should be:
Select UTXOs A & a in way so that, A + a - X - f is not a dust, where f is transaction fee.

Secondly note that if A + a - X - f is a dust, the transaction cannot be broadcast at all.

I don't know any wallet do this. Electrum (as the best SPV wallet I know) adds the dust change to the transaction fee.

In electrum and some other wallets, you can use coin control feature and select the UTXOs as you want.
The question of why do we calculate the dust limit as for a complete transaction not just one input, was not originally mine
However, it triggered an idea on my mind of a coin selection strategy following the heuristic of one large & one small ( can't recall the corresponding abstract algorithmic heuristic now)
If u want to spend X, select UTXOS A&a such that:
 a is dust
(A+a - X) is not dust

The point is if we want to mitigate the dust problem while performing coin selection at the same time, then I don't see the problem as a SUBSET SUM anymore; we do not want the almost exact match (it will create dust), we want an over-sized fit so that the change is not dust.

Does any wallet already does that?
Whether there's or there's not, what do u think about such a strategy
Pages:
Jump to: