Pages:
Author

Topic: Does Anyone Own the Bitcoin (BTC) Trademark? - page 2. (Read 10776 times)

Activity: 756
Merit: 522
November 28, 2012, 07:17:59 PM
Symbols and such are not copyrighted, they are trademarked. Artistic works are copyrighted.

Bitcoin is a trademark held by MtGox, on the dubious theory that "better they than someone else". There was some talk about them transferring this to the Foundation, but nothing came of it AFAIK. (And for the record, this forum is also hosted by them).

There's not to date been any enforcement attempts against any user, so you can probably go right ahead. The commonly used image/symbol for a Bitcoin however depicts a Thai Baht I think, which'd be a trademark of the Thai govt/central bank (I assume, haven't checked).
legendary
Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
November 28, 2012, 06:33:01 PM
fuck that guy. i hope you're right, thats what its all about.
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
November 28, 2012, 04:51:31 PM
I think the main bitcoin symbol design is under the creative commons licenses or some other public domain. I could be wrong on that. There was also an attempt by some lawyer to copyright the word bitcoin, if I remember correctly. 
legendary
Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
November 28, 2012, 04:47:30 PM
Hey everyone,
I'm seeing a lot of things for sale here in the marketplace with the Bitcoin logo or some kind of Bitcoin reference. Things like money clips, tie clips, physical bitcoins,  shirts, etc. Can anyone go to Cafe Press, make their own Bitcoin shit and sell it? I have to believe SOMEONE owns the copyright to the symbol and all things related. Am I right?
Pages:
Jump to: