Pages:
Author

Topic: Does anyone truly understand IOTA? - page 4. (Read 6633 times)

legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009
August 19, 2017, 04:53:46 PM
From the lack of answers in this thread, the answer is No.

Not even the main devs understand it, they are working on solutions for the mentioned obvious problems of PoW on IoT, or achieving global consensus and trustless DAG-coin.

Coordinator, so far they took a short-cut and they cant provide an answer when if ever it will be turned off.

The answer was provided. Unfortunatelly, not everyone got it.
Activity: 378
Merit: 250
August 19, 2017, 04:49:12 PM
From the lack of answers in this thread, the answer is No.

Not even the main devs understand it, they are working on solutions for the mentioned obvious problems of PoW on IoT, or achieving global consensus and trustless DAG-coin.

Coordinator, so far they took a short-cut and they cant provide an answer when if ever it will be turned off.
Activity: 185
Merit: 100
July 04, 2017, 01:58:29 AM
So IOTA has a market cap of $1,055,215,318  on CoinMarketCap.
If the M stands for million that is $1,055,215,318 * 1000000 = 1 055.21532 trillion US$
That's a lot, Google didn't even want to write it in numbers.
I mean, it feels like there's only the way down from that point.

Don't get confused between the global marketcap of the Iota ecosystem and the value of "one" iota token. Actually the later is "quite low", and 1 million IOTA tokens is worth about 0,38 USD. As you've got about 2 800 000 000 MIOTA in total, the total marketcap of all iota tokens is 0,38x 2 800 000 000 so roughly 1,05B Usd.
Activity: 392
Merit: 101
PVxYGaa1UZM6oDqW3ZKe4Esi18DgwBpDkr
July 03, 2017, 05:51:20 PM
So IOTA has a market cap of $1,055,215,318  on CoinMarketCap.
If the M stands for million that is $1,055,215,318 * 1000000 = 1 055.21532 trillion US$
That's a lot, Google didn't even want to write it in numbers.
I mean, it feels like there's only the way down from that point.
Activity: 672
Merit: 251
July 02, 2017, 02:44:40 PM
Neither I understand iota strategy nor I understand the free transaction I just believe in iota because of huge market cap which is 1.6 billion that is the only thing i believe in iota

Lololololololol funny thing is as silly as this sounds and no reference to IOTA this pretty much sums up at least 50% of investors thinking.
Activity: 938
Merit: 559
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
July 02, 2017, 10:48:41 AM
Neither I understand iota strategy nor I understand the free transaction I just believe in iota because of huge market cap which is 1.6 billion that is the only thing i believe in iota
Well, I can see that you've never heard of the dotcom bubble.

If you go by that logic, you'll be losing a lot of money in the years ahead...
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
July 02, 2017, 10:29:38 AM
legendary
July 02, 2017, 07:52:22 AM
I do not even care to understand the technology.

Why?

They premined the whole thing, claiming it is worth 1,000,000,000 dollars.

Now they wait till there is enough orderbook developed for them to dump it on innocent bypassers.

So far, the daily volume is far from enough to absorb any dump. So they wait.

Really, if about 20? people control a billion, each gonna make 10-100million out of a decent dump; do you think they are "religious" enough not to get rich in one click?

This thing has no market dynamics that formed it. The price is fake, the technology is not there yet. Only reason it is not crashing is there is not enough market for it to crash yet.

TELL me who holds the IOTA, I tell you what happens next.

I'm pretty sure you'll make into the 2nd season of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD9fArwkhNY...

EDIT: Sorry, after rewatching the video I spotted you are already there
Activity: 126
Merit: 10
Bitcoin amateur learning by doing
July 02, 2017, 06:28:29 AM
I do not even care to understand the technology.

Why?

They premined the whole thing, claiming it is worth 1,000,000,000 dollars.

Now they wait till there is enough orderbook developed for them to dump it on innocent bypassers.

So far, the daily volume is far from enough to absorb any dump. So they wait.

Really, if about 20? people control a billion, each gonna make 10-100million out of a decent dump; do you think they are "religious" enough not to get rich in one click?

This thing has no market dynamics that formed it. The price is fake, the technology is not there yet. Only reason it is not crashing is there is not enough market for it to crash yet.

TELL me who holds the IOTA, I tell you what happens next.
Activity: 938
Merit: 559
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
July 02, 2017, 05:53:14 AM
Not cheap though.. Cool

Ping me in 6 months when you change your mind, please.

You mean it will be more expensive than now?
It probably will be, but it'll never be used on IoT devices.

It's common sense that small transaction fees like Byteball would make a million times more sense than having to do PoW on IoT devices.

Doing transactions on IoT devices would destroy the battery life.
legendary
July 02, 2017, 04:32:33 AM

There are 2 interpretations, I let everyone pick what they like.
Activity: 228
Merit: 100
July 02, 2017, 03:50:44 AM
Not cheap though.. Cool

legendary
July 02, 2017, 03:40:17 AM
Not cheap though.. Cool

July 02, 2017, 03:24:42 AM
Are you guys aware that Xtrabytes does everything IOTA does and more and is 10m marketcap?

Now we are aware, thank you.

Great. You're a good guy. I did great on NXT. Good luck with IOTA. Not cheap though.. Cool
legendary
July 02, 2017, 02:40:49 AM
Are you guys aware that Xtrabytes does everything IOTA does and more and is 10m marketcap?

Now we are aware, thank you.
July 02, 2017, 01:54:33 AM
Iota is a crypto paradigm shift.

Plus it solves the 51% attack (no other coin does this) And didn't grab millions in an ICO. Its getting silly how unknown it is now.
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288
July 01, 2017, 07:08:51 PM
Let's leave price aside.

IOTA promises to have found the holy grail - infinite scalability with zero transaction fees.

If that is truly so, then screw just the IoT usage, such a system should replace every imaginable form of value transaction known to humanity.

Questions that arise from it are:
1. What is the mechanism behind such an ingenious discovery?
2. How come nobody came with the idea before (there must have been some bright minds within blockchain technology who understood the scalability and fee problem and never came up with solution)?
3. What prevents other coins from implementing such a revolutionary design?
4. Can other coins with established market caps and track records switch to such a design?
5. Who secures the network if there is no fee-incentive?

IOTA is your refrigerator talking to your lawn mower. What they will talk about I have no ideas. Maybe how wars influence oil prices or how fast lately Eggs gets bad.
Activity: 110
Merit: 10
July 01, 2017, 05:55:40 PM
Let's leave price aside.

IOTA promises to have found the holy grail - infinite scalability with zero transaction fees.

If that is truly so, then screw just the IoT usage, such a system should replace every imaginable form of value transaction known to humanity.

Unfortunately that is a claim I have seen no evidence to support.  A transactional DAG still relies on a global state to ensure double spends can't happen, thus its still vertical in nature even though the architecture promotes horizontal scaling.
[...]

Would eliminating the global state be a step in the right direction ?
I came across another coin without fees(Raiblocks), that states having replaced "shared state" with "message passing" to be able to scale better.

Here some lines from the whitepaper :
RaiBlocks is designed to be a scalable and efficient distributed ledger platform.  The design makes several significant improvements over alternatives giving a simple system that can process transactions in seconds making it a useful in a digital world.
To get these performance improvements we apply a critical optimization borrowed from concurrent computing where we replace shared state with message passing. This eliminates shared state contention greatly improving global throughput and lowering transaction time.
The ledger is the global set of accounts and each account has its own chain.  Only one entity can add a transaction to an account’s chain, the account owner.  This means each chain is not a shared data structure eliminating all contention when adding transactions to the ledger.

The ANN is quite small : https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/annxrbcryptocurrencys-killer-app-raiblocks-micropayments-1381323
Activity: 503
Merit: 286
legendary
June 17, 2017, 05:28:07 AM
Resource based consensus mechanisms (POW, POS) are not designed with sharding in mind.

What do you think of https://github.com/ethereum/wiki/wiki/Sharding-FAQ then?
Pages:
Jump to: