Pages:
Author

Topic: Does BIP39 allow for the same word to be generated more than twice in a seed? - page 2. (Read 272 times)

Activity: 2310
Merit: 757
Bitcoin = Financial freedom
does BIP39 have rules that prevent the same word from being generated 3 times?

There is no phenomenon that stops words from repeating more than once which can be twice, thrice, or even more while generating seeds based on BIP39.

OP your question has been answered here

Andreas says in this video that you could use the same word 23 times + valid checksum and it would still be valid.
Yes, it will still be a valid wallet but if you are doing such a thing then the time taken to brute force your wallet will be 0.001 sec.
Activity: 0
Merit: 0
The BIP39 standard doesn’t allow for any word to be repeated more than two times in a seed phrase.

So you're saying there's actual code baked into BIP39 that will prevent a 3rd repetition if a word is already used twice? If this is indeed correct, then why do wallets accept phrases with multiple repetition? Wouldn't they be invalid if a seed contained 3 or more repetitions of a word + a valid checksum were used?

Andreas says in this video that you could use the same word 23 times + valid checksum and it would still be valid. If that's a mathematically valid wallet, then what's to stop a wallet from generating a seed with 3 of the same word? I'm not trying to get into the chances so much as if it's possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGClNWZcYV8

Activity: 1414
Merit: 915
🇺🇦 Glory to Ukraine!
does BIP39 have rules that prevent the same word from being generated 3 times?

No, I don't think so. There's nothing to stop the same word occurring more than once. But having the same word three times or more in a 24-word seed phrase is highly unlikely.

The BIP39 standard doesn’t allow for any word to be repeated more than two times in a seed phrase.

I don't think that is correct. Do you have a source?

I have created more than 10 wallets this year, and I have not come across a single word repeated even twice, which is barely possible—talk more than three times.

That doesn't prove it's impossible, just improbable.
Activity: 462
Merit: 304
The BIP39 standard doesn’t allow for any word to be repeated more than two times in a seed phrase. BIP39 seed phrases usually consist of 12, 18, or 24 words chosen randomly from a predefined list of 2000+ words. There are over 30 trillion possible combinations of these words, so there is no need to repeat any word more than twice.

I don't know if those figures are exact, but it's something close, as I can't recall where I read about it but am certain of the content.

I have created more than 10 wallets this year, and I have not come across a single word repeated even twice, which is barely possible—talk more than three times.
Activity: 0
Merit: 0
Hello there. I have a slightly more technical question for somebody knowledgeable about BIP39 standards and the rules involved.

During 24 word seed generation, when a wallet randomly generates your seed, I know it's possible for a word to be repeated in the seed - roughly a 12% chance from what I understand. But is it possible that the same word gets used THREE times during a 24 word seed generation? Obviously this would be even more unlikely than twice, but I'm just wondering if it's possible and what the chances are - or does BIP39 have rules that prevent the same word from being generated 3 times?

Appreciate any insight and answers I can get on this. Thankyou.
Pages:
Jump to: