Pages:
Author

Topic: Does Bitcoin have the potential to evade capital controls? - page 2. (Read 2583 times)

legendary
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386
Huh

Yes.

This occurs due to the simple fact that bitcoin lacks a physical location.  Therefore when one crosses a national border with capital controls, the movement or lack of of the bitcoin cannot be affected.

Another example is when a country, say Argentina, restricts the inflow and use of a substitute currency - like the US dollar.  The BTC can be made illegal, but this is a different matter than restricting it's use.

Legal or illegal does not restrict black markets, rather they flourish where supply is lower than demand due to legal restrictions.  Thus restrictions encourage black markets very existence. 

I suspect this means that "making bitcoin illegal" will cause it to flourish in those countries which make it illegal, but nobody is really sure at this point.  Kind of like Prohibition and the War on Drugs.....
legendary
Activity: 950
Merit: 1000
The gov isn't able to directly control bitcoin network but only able to regulate the individuals or startups who are dealing with bitcoin. You can easily evade the capital control by the gov and just do on-chain transaction.
Activity: 67
Merit: 10
If Bitcoin would get controled by the government, it will be just like any other currency.
That is what makes Bitcoin so special in my opinion

Decentralized. That is the world.
Activity: 591
Merit: 108
If Bitcoin would get controled by the government, it will be just like any other currency.

But the thing is Bitcoin still CAN be controlled by governments. Remember the Chinese government backlash against BTC late last year? All it takes is for a government to ban it outright. Sure, there will still be users on the black market but the mainstream will see it as something illegal and something that is not worth their time. That is how governments can control Bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 997
Merit: 1002
Gamdom.com
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115
In theory, it's easy, but we've yet to see a massive attempt by a government to actually confiscate Bitcoin and I'm not talking about taking down a couple of drug markets, all you'd have to do is either take it on a USB or rent a VPS in a certain country you're going to and then send it over and retrieve it once you cross the border.

I've always thought this was the strongest argument for Bitcoin. Just wanted some deeper thoughts than mine Smiley

Thanks
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
In theory, it's easy, but we've yet to see a massive attempt by a government to actually confiscate Bitcoin and I'm not talking about taking down a couple of drug markets, all you'd have to do is either take it on a USB or rent a VPS in a certain country you're going to and then send it over and retrieve it once you cross the border.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115
Pages:
Jump to: