Pages:
Author

Topic: Does CPU affect how many GPUs you can run? - page 2. (Read 4393 times)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100
Ive got some tweaking to do.

Before with 4 cards I could get 600 KH/s.  Now with those same settings BAMT freezes up after about an hour.  I tried lowereing the clocks from 1100/1375 to 1050/1250 and it froze again.

Ive got it on 1000/1200 now.  See if it helps.  I also lowered the thread concurrency from 19000 to 16000.

Should running 5 cards be the same as running 4?  Or is running 5 cards generally more unstable?
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
When I first put my 4 7970s into my rig, Xorg would refuse to start with the gdm gnome login manager. If I started a bare bones Xorg as a regular user, it would start. So I left it mining like that.

If I try three cards directly into the board and 2 cards on the X1 on risers  it wont boot. It will boot and show the BAMT loading screen but then it goes blank.

In this configuration try to boot BAMT in safe mode.

I have the same issue with 5 cards, in normal mode BAMT goes blank, while in safe mode it works just fine.
Never bothered to find out why, I just start it in safe mode.

OK So you are talking about failsafe right?  Where it says boot the BAMT then below that it says boot the BAMT (failsafe).

So I moved the cards back to three directly on the board no risers and one on a X1 adapter.  So 4 cards.  Just to make sure it still works that way.  It worked.

So I installed the 5th card into the other X1 slot with a X1 adapter.  Tried to boot.  No luck.  So I tried to boot into safe mode (failsafe) and it still wouldn't work.

So as a last resort I shorted the presence pins on the 5th card.  Tried to boot it.  No luck.  Tried to boot it into safe mode (failsafe) and IT WORKED!

So for the second time you saved my a** Phillips.  Thank you so so so much.

I hope it always works like this booting into safe mode.   So you have to boot into safe mode every time you boot your rig?
Activity: 700
Merit: 500

If I try three cards directly into the board and 2 cards on the X1 on risers  it wont boot. It will boot and show the BAMT loading screen but then it goes blank.

In this configuration try to boot BAMT in safe mode.

I have the same issue with 5 cards, in normal mode BAMT goes blank, while in safe mode it works just fine.
Never bothered to find out why, I just start it in safe mode.
I just got done doing some more testing.

This board has 3 X16 and 2 X1.

If I plug 3 cards straight into the board (no risers) and one card into one of the X1 slots it will work perfectly.  so this is 4 cards.  If I try three cards directly into the board and 2 cards on the X1 on risers it wont boot.  It will boot and show the BAMT loading screen but then it goes blank.

Another member told me that this board only has 22 lanes, they said 24 but after confirming the AMD 970 chipset only supports 22 lanes.

So I tried plugging 5 cards in all with 5 X1 risers.  It would boot into BAMT but no matter what I do it will not show the card in the second X16 slot.  I tried switching cards, switching risers cables, shorting the presence pins, nothing.

I see alot of people reccomend boards with the AMD 890FX chipset.   Like the 890FXA-GD70 MSI board.   The 890 chipset supports 38 lanes just like the newer 990 chipset does.

I might try ordering a 990 chipset board.  Like the ASRock 990FX Extreme4, or MSI 990FXA-GD80.

Activity: 700
Merit: 500
When you say it doesn't boot you mean it just stands there at the boot screen?
Or it starts and stops half way?

Try to start BAMT in safe mode (choose at the boot screen) and if it starts look in the upper right corner, how many cards are listed?

Or, enter in terminal:
Code:
aticonfig --list-adapters
I am using BAMT.  Thats why I was saying the mobo is on the BAMT hardware compatability list as working with 5 GPUs.

I have tried every combo.  Risers, both powered and non powered.  I have tried using all X1 risers.  It just wont boot with more than 4 GPUs.

Activity: 80
Merit: 10
people have been reporting issues with more than 4 GPUs in Windows. Linux works fine.
Which OS are you running?
legendary
Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090
Think for yourself
Not being able to run 5 GPUs.

I am using a mob on the BAMT compatibility list as working with 5 GPUs.

Plus I have read other people on here running 5 GPUs with it.

Its the ASRock 970 Extreme4.

I was just wondering if maybe the CPU had something to do with it.

I seriously doubt it.  I'm using Windoze 7 32 bit, so I don't know anything about mob's or bamt's.  Provide some details and maybe others would be able to help.
Good Luck,
Sam
Not being able to run 5 GPUs.

I am using a mob on the BAMT compatibility list as working with 5 GPUs.

Plus I have read other people on here running 5 GPUs with it.

Its the ASRock 970 Extreme4.

I was just wondering if maybe the CPU had something to do with it.
legendary
Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090
Think for yourself
I have been trying to get 5 to run with this CPU.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103953

Its an Athlon II 270.

That's a much higher end CPU than most miners.  My Athlon II 250 runs around 5%.

So what problem are you having?
Sam
I have been trying to get 5 to run with this CPU.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103953

Its an Athlon II 270.
Pages:
Jump to: