Pages:
Author

Topic: Does it annoy you when people ask "what do you do?" - page 2. (Read 2515 times)

legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 1373
This reminds me of a situation when you visit your girlfriend's house for the first time and once her folks see you they immediately ask "what do you do, what do your parents do and what are your future plans". The best answer would be "i'm going to university to be a doctor, my father is a lawyer and my mom just baked cookies for you guys which I happily brought with me" Fuck you society! Cheesy

If only two girls could make a baby. They'd be happier than ever.    Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000
This reminds me of a situation when you visit your girlfriend's house for the first time and once her folks see you they immediately ask "what do you do, what do your parents do and what are your future plans". The best answer would be "i'm going to university to be a doctor, my father is a lawyer and my mom just baked cookies for you guys which I happily brought with me" Fuck you society! Cheesy

lol yes thats it in the very extreme form, it is like society talking to you rather then the person. Funny answer!

Few months ago i went camping, ended up in a big tent with about 8 strangers sat in a circle, kinda cool until within 10 minutes in some dick decided it would be a good idea we'd go around individaully and find out what eachother did.  Just so happened he was extremely proud of whatever the shit it was he did, some kind of managment trainer BS. Typical clueless baby boomer type.
Activity: 462
Merit: 251
Activity: 672
Merit: 502
YES  Angry

It annoys me so much, mostly when people who are not related with my life in anyway ask me what do I do. For ex. my milkman, I don't know what is that guy's problem. I don't want to bash him off coz he brings milk and he could mix nasty things in it but.. it so gets on my nerves.
legendary
Most folks who become annoyed at this, have figured out friendly ways to walk and talk around it.

Smiley

Yeah thats what i need to work on maybe.... not very good at working out why people are asking, still seems a very silly/aggressive question in many contexts. Because even if it is a geniune friendly question, how many people % wise are proud of what they do? cant be a very high %.  Its statistical suicide asking people this question espcially if they are a stranger.

Maybe its just me Smiley

"Hi. How are you?" "That's personal."    Cheesy

Yeah i dont find that the same assuming body language geniune. Its an opened ended question, its a great question, you can connect better asking/answering this.

legendary
Really those are your reasons? For me it's the fact that every time I tell people what I do I have to explain it and they still don't get it, the only people who know what I do are people who either do what I do already or use the internet regularly. To keep things simple I often just say I work with Jewellery because that's something people understand, I won't even get into artwork the majority of the time because people don't fucking understand the idea of manga etc. and you have to explain it.

Well thats another reason.

Those reasons i give are my main reasons yes, if im speaking to someone its because i want a decent connection ideally.  What someone does rarely defines them..
legendary
Most folks who become annoyed at this, have figured out friendly ways to walk and talk around it.

Smiley

Yeah thats what i need to work on maybe.... not very good at working out why people are asking, still seems a very silly/aggressive question in many contexts. Because even if it is a geniune friendly question, how many people % wise are proud of what they do? cant be a very high %.  Its statistical suicide asking people this question espcially if they are a stranger.

Maybe its just me Smiley

"Hi. How are you?" "That's personal."    Cheesy
legendary

Smiley

Yeah thats what i need to work on maybe.... not very good at working out why people are asking, still seems a very silly/aggressive question in many contexts. Because even if it is a geniune friendly question, how many people % wise are proud of what they do? cant be a very high %.  Its statistical suicide asking people this question especially if they are a stranger.

Maybe its just me Smiley
legendary
To keep things simple I often just say I work with Jewellery because that's something people understand...

I tried that, but then they started asking what Synagogue I went to.    Grin
legendary
Sometimes.
"What're you doing on the computer all day, how're you making money?"

Just answering as: "I'm private investor" Grin

I work nights, and can't sleep during the day.    Grin
legendary
Activity: 1540
Really those are your reasons? For me it's the fact that every time I tell people what I do I have to explain it and they still don't get it, the only people who know what I do are people who either do what I do already or use the internet regularly. To keep things simple I often just say I work with Jewellery because that's something people understand, I won't even get into artwork the majority of the time because people don't fucking understand the idea of manga etc. and you have to explain it.
legendary
Activity: 1274
★ BitClave ICO: 15/09/17 ★
Sometimes.
"What're you doing on the computer all day, how're you making money?"

Just answering as: "I'm private investor" Grin
legendary

Smiley
legendary
Does it annoy you when people ask "what do you do?" as a way to find out about you?

I find this really annoying in most contexts. 99% of the time what someone does is because they dont have a better option to acquire money to purchase resources to survive no? People might aswell ask "so how are you trapped?".  

Only the very rich must truely "enjoy" this question? or maybe those who are proud of their work, like doctors etc

2 contexts i find it acceptable someone asks me what i do:

1.) A bank or estate agent, basically something to do with business. They are asking to protect their business/investment.

2.) Someone close to you, or someone you getting on with very well asks because of reasons like... they wanna do something in the future with you and wonder if you have free time.

Pages:
Jump to: