Pages:
Author

Topic: does the increasing number of altcoins have a negative impact on the price btc - page 6. (Read 1066 times)

legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1156
Yes,

But it's not because the altcoins are more superior than Bitcoin, the reason is many people especially newbie doesn't understand anything about Bitcoin and they will buy a shitcoin because someone suggest it or the price is cheaper than Bitcoin. Actually they don't need to buy 1 Bitcoin because they can buy in fraction like 0.05 or 0.005 and such on.

Since there are many choice and people made a mistake to invest in shitcoin, Bitcoin price haven't surge a lot.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1071
will the increasing number of altcoins affect the price of bitcoin,?
If anything is going to have an effect on the other, It will be Bitcoins the superior having an effect on altcoins and not altcoins having an effect on bitcoins. It is common knowledge in cryptocurrency that bitcoin leads and strongly has an effect on the prices of all other cryptocurrencies. Even if the number of altcoins are on the increase which is something that will always happen, it cannot affect the price of bitcoins negatively.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1080
I'm still a beginner in crypto, as we know from time to time the number of altcoins is increasing, but I want to ask,
No, It does not negatively affect the price of Bitcoin

Look at it this way, back in 2017, there were about 1000 different coins and tokens listed on CoinMarketCap. But this did not stop Bitcoin from hitting an all-time high of $20k. First forward to 2021, there were over 20K different coins and tokens listed on CoinMarketCap, again this did not stop Bitcoin from reaching 69K.

The only negative impact is token scams where very many newbies fall victims
That is not evidence that btc is not affected by altcoins the altcoins could have helped btc because it got people invested into altcoins which then changed to btc when they learned more about it. I think altcoins are the best way to learn about crypto because most of them are worth nothing and you can make mistakes without big consequences. You cannot do the same in btc because it is worth something and will always be worth something. People can learn without these consequences and then when they are ready invest in btc and be safer because of their knowledge of altcoins.
copper member
Activity: 2016
Merit: 1777
฿itcoin for all, All for ฿itcoin.
I'm still a beginner in crypto, as we know from time to time the number of altcoins is increasing, but I want to ask,
No, It does not negatively affect the price of Bitcoin

Look at it this way, back in 2017, there were about 1000 different coins and tokens listed on CoinMarketCap. But this did not stop Bitcoin from hitting an all-time high of $20k. First forward to 2021, there were over 20K different coins and tokens listed on CoinMarketCap, again this did not stop Bitcoin from reaching 69K.

The only negative impact is token scams where very many newbies fall victims
legendary
Not in anyway; at least not negatively. If anything, the numerosity of altcoins in the market will even help boost the price of Bitcoin. Let me draw a simple analogy with this. Just imagine if we've only two altcoins in the market and Bitcoin, the law of demand and supply will kick in and investors will be propelled to buy either of the two alts and that will solidly increase demand and consequently the price. Bitcoin price wouldn't even be where it's today with just two solid altcoins in the market instead of the 22,390 cryptos in the market according to CMC data. More people are turning to Bitcoin (against altcoins) and investing there because of the prevalence of scam altcoins there are in the market. This has helped increase the demand and price of Bitcoin.
It is about integrity the more altcoins we have the more we have that have no original features and are looking to pump and dump that can hurt the adoption of btc because the news will cover these altcoins which have scammed many people. Then people do not want to invest in crypto because they are scared that his will happen to them. This does effect bitcoin and it would be better if we only had altcoins which offered unique features instead of having 1000+ altcoins that offer the same features.
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 1208
Once a man, twice a child!
Not in anyway; at least not negatively. If anything, the numerosity of altcoins in the market will even help boost the price of Bitcoin. Let me draw a simple analogy with this. Just imagine if we've only two altcoins in the market and Bitcoin, the law of demand and supply will kick in and investors will be propelled to buy either of the two alts and that will solidly increase demand and consequently the price. Bitcoin price wouldn't even be where it's today with just two solid altcoins in the market instead of the 22,390 cryptos in the market according to CMC data. More people are turning to Bitcoin (against altcoins) and investing there because of the prevalence of scam altcoins there are in the market. This has helped increase the demand and price of Bitcoin.
legendary
No we already have 1000+ altcoins any more is just another one. I think that having so many altcoins which are scams stops people investing in btc because they only hear of the horror stories with the altcoins and assume that btc or crypto is dangerous to invest in. That probably has reduced our adoption but I still think people will eventually understand that altcoins are just people trying to emulate the success of btc. There is probably only a couple of altcoins that are worth peoples time and they can be counted on one hand.
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 2904
Block halving is coming.
Altcoins are dead coins, Bitcoin is a survival coin.

Bitcoin is not a survival coin it is the first coin that was born and developed and it is the main coin(more liquidity) where the price is different from altcoins.

Do not compare Bitcoin to altcoin because without Bitcoin altcoin will never be born.
Even if Altcoin or shitcoin becomes dead or increases in number it doesn't help to grow Bitcoin.

@OP it means it doesn't impact much or no impact if there are many altcoins being born or dying. Most altcoins are scams and it is likely someone develop a new product and resells it to the market it is likely a Fake vs authentic product but the original product doesn't drop in the price instead it increases in value while the fake one keeps declining.
Activity: 2142
Merit: 584
You own the pen
It depends on what kind of altcoins it is because some of them are really good in the first phase of their times and no doubt, if that's the case then other investors will surely temporarily convert their bitcoins into those coins but when they gather enough earnings from it, they quickly switch back to investing in bitcoins again. sometimes it is really better to stick with bitcoins because when things aren't right with those altcoins, it may gonna turn bad and their price will crash and never recover again. So others will ignore no matter how good new altcoins are because they want some assurance about their BTC and when BTC prices fall, they always recover as we can see today.
Activity: 2254
Merit: 831

but in my opinion it will not affect the price of bitcoin, even though the number of altcoins is increasing.
It won't because most of altcoins die after a few months or after a big bull run. Many altcoins are scam and they won't exist too long in the market. Many other altcoins are incapable to develop something that the world actually need so they gradually die especially with downtrend in bear market.

Bitcoin is already a survivor after many years since 2009 and if institutional investors want to join cryptocurrency market, they must pick Bitcoin as their first asset. It has biggest trading volume that is perfectly matched with big capital from institutes.

Dead Coins: How Many Cryptocurrencies have Failed?.

Altcoins are dead coins, Bitcoin is a survival coin.
legendary
Activity: 4186
Merit: 4385
not really

it just means less users per market because they are trading on lots more platforms rather then millions of users on one market

it affects the volume of the trades more so.. not the price per trade as much

most of the time by having other markets. people can do a thing called arbitrage
EG
USD-BTC-ETH-USD-BTC (full circle)
or
USD-ETH-BTC-USD-ETH (full circle)

which bot trading then takes advantage of a possible arbitrage path, thus they rinse whatever profitable circuit path is best. thus then causing more volume over multiple markets using the same lump of funds value. increasing the volume of each market

thus it ends up as little to no effect
Activity: 16
Merit: 2

but in my opinion it will not affect the price of bitcoin, even though the number of altcoins is increasing.
Pages:
Jump to: