Pages:
Author

Topic: Don't forget: There will probably be further batches from Avalon - page 2. (Read 2791 times)

legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012
Beyond Imagination
This is a very special occasion caused by BFL's delay, almost like a lottery. Those who missed the BFL annoncement in June/July and managed to grab some Avalon in October unexpectedly becomes the most benefited Cheesy

On the other hand, those mining professionals who closely followed every step of BFL's ASIC offering from the very first day has yet to see some concret test results, big test for tolerance  Grin
legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193
You think that after BFL launch his 65nm chip someone buy Avalon with 110nm tecnology?

You're right. When BFL launches in 4-6 months, Avalon will have a hard time selling 110nm technology. I suspect the price of batch #3 is going to give Avalon the funds they need to improve their process node.
legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026
Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012
Likely they will be moving to the new chip in Batch #4 or 5 I would assume.  This will give us our power efficiency.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
Regarding aTg's question: I for one will NEVER buy a BFL unit, I don't care if it's one angstrom technology and mines 120 bazillion petahashes per microsecond while drawing 0.1watt from my cell phone charger, and spits teddy bears out its ass while it's doing it, for the low low price of US$1.99.  Not gonna happen.  The way they've constantly pushed back their ship dates, on a series of products, is totally unacceptable to me and I just can't see myself supporting them no matter how great their product may turn out to be.

Having said all that, there's not a really huge difference between 65nm and 110nm chips.  Really it boils down to power consumption (about double) and die size (about quadruple the area).  Power consumption does matter, but in the near term at least the power draw will be more or less insignificant compared to the mining profits to be had.  Chip die size matters not one iota, since the package has to be a certain minimum size anyways: does it really matter if the die inside that 10mm square plastic chip is 5mm square or 3?

I'm lumping all my available cash into my bitcoin wallet, primed and ready to pull the trigger the moment I get that magic email from Avalon.
How is 620w vs 60w just double?  Last I checked, 620w was more than 10x 60w.

I agree that power draw isn't a hugely significant factor right now though.
Activity: 34
Merit: 0
Regarding aTg's question: I for one will NEVER buy a BFL unit, I don't care if it's one angstrom technology and mines 120 bazillion petahashes per microsecond while drawing 0.1watt from my cell phone charger, and spits teddy bears out its ass while it's doing it, for the low low price of US$1.99.  Not gonna happen.  The way they've constantly pushed back their ship dates, on a series of products, is totally unacceptable to me and I just can't see myself supporting them no matter how great their product may turn out to be.

Having said all that, there's not a really huge difference between 65nm and 110nm chips.  Really it boils down to power consumption (about double) and die size (about quadruple the area).  Power consumption does matter, but in the near term at least the power draw will be more or less insignificant compared to the mining profits to be had.  Chip die size matters not one iota, since the package has to be a certain minimum size anyways: does it really matter if the die inside that 10mm square plastic chip is 5mm square or 3?

I'm lumping all my available cash into my bitcoin wallet, primed and ready to pull the trigger the moment I get that magic email from Avalon.
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
Since the launch of their site there have been three batches listed. Maybe no more batches are made?
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: 1pirata
all that is probably true, but by the time batch #4 will be out, difficulty will be sky high. People want avalons NOW to make all that uber mega fancy profit, get rich, retire early and drive bugatti  Grin

+1 this^
aTg
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000
You think that after BFL launch his 65nm chip someone buy Avalon with 110nm tecnology?
Activity: 145
Merit: 105
all that is probably true, but by the time batch #4 will be out, difficulty will be sky high. People want avalons NOW to make all that uber mega fancy profit, get rich, retire early and drive bugatti  Grin
Activity: 529
Merit: 500
If you are considering spending 88BTC on a batch #3 Avalon miner, don't forget that Avalon will probably not quit producing and selling their miners after batch #3. By then, they will have upped their production capacity. They will also be able to sell their miners at a considerably lower price. In fact, they will probably have to lower the price quite a lot in order to sell any large numbers, since mining profitability will drop considerably when all of batch #1 and #2, and most of #3, along with the competing ASIC miners, has been installed.

My guess is that batch #4 will be sold with something like a 50% markup over production costs, which means a couple of hundred dollars. The volume will also be larger, maybe 2500 units?

I'm pulling these numbers out of my ass, but it makes complete sense for Avalon to get what they can out of the market and keep lowering the price of their products in order to do so.
Pages:
Jump to: