Pages:
Author

Topic: Don't we need an official lightweight wallet? - page 2. (Read 1987 times)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250
September 06, 2014, 06:31:26 PM
No.

We need nodes.

To transmit transactions.

Lite wallet only and must only work on "lightweight" system ... like smartphone.
Do you think we do not have enough nodes running on the network? If we do not need more nodes then what would be the problem with having more people running a light wallet? Most nodes (I think) are run on a dedicated server (or VPS) so having more people run a light wallet would likely not decrease the number of nodes significantly. It would also make it easier for people to start using bitcoin as downloading the entire blockchain is a pain especially when you have to wait 2+ days in order to start using something new.
Buo
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
September 06, 2014, 06:23:49 PM
Lightweight wallets are really handy but I don't think that we need an official one, everyone can choose what they prefer.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011
September 06, 2014, 04:19:43 PM
to supply the discussion : https://getaddr.bitnodes.io/dashboard/#block-heights

1000 Lite wallet
6000 nodes of bitcoin-qt

...  Cool that why lite wallet can work ...
Activity: 87
Merit: 10
September 06, 2014, 04:17:52 PM
Only on mobile devices that should be limited to.As it is we are just fine
Activity: 672
Merit: 500
September 06, 2014, 04:17:27 PM
We already a few lightwallets and a couple of them are IMO more practical than bitcoin-core, so we do not need an official lightwallet from the core devs
legendary
Activity: 4298
Merit: 3209
September 06, 2014, 04:15:20 PM
There is no official wallet.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011
September 06, 2014, 04:11:34 PM
No.

We need nodes.

To transmit transactions.

Lite wallet only and must only work on "lightweight" system ... like smartphone.
Activity: 322
Merit: 250
September 06, 2014, 04:01:48 PM
I have been reading comments trying to get my mind around what the common folk that are ignorant about BTC thinks about it. Well, a recurring complain i've seen is how their computers bloat and then they have to wait for fucking ages to download "that thing" (the blockchain). People is in general TOO DUMB to even look around and understand how alternatives exist. What I propose is:

Make a big "DOWNLOAD NOW" button that has an officially developed and supported lightweight wallet that looks cool and works smooth. Then, have computer literate people run Bitcoin QTs if they want to support the network and be nodes. The common folk shouldn't be pointed to Bitcoin QT as "the official one" because everyone is downloading "the official one" and few even bother reading about the 3rd party wallets, or they may think "why risk it, lets go with the official". So yeah, we need a lightweight, "average joe" Bitcoin QT wallet. Personally I would love an exact copy of the Bitcoin QT one, it looks smooth and simple, but a lightweight version of it.

Just my 2 cents/0,00004063BTC

Pages:
Jump to: