Pages:
Author

Topic: Dropbox REMOVED Votebox After Bitcoin Was Voted #1. Time To Switch? - page 2. (Read 21229 times)

legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007
SpiderOak looks like it fixes two of my Dropbox annoyances (Dropbox had no option for client-side encryption and Dropbox did not accept bitcoin payments).

According to the SpiderOak blog (Aug 2013), you can email them for a bitcoin deposit address and pay with BTC.  Has anyone done this? (sorry if I missed it in the thread).  

A few weaknesses I see:

1.  The mobile apps seem to be "read only" and also seems to expose your decryption-keys to the SpiderOak servers.  I guess it would be too computationally intensive to decrypt the files on a mobile device?

2.  Dropbox has "wife-friendly" features like automatically syncing photos.  Not too important for business, but nice to have, I think.

Can anyone who uses SpiderOak share any other "gotchas" that might disappoint someone switching over from a 100 Gbyte Dropbox account?
Activity: 882
Merit: 501
Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong
I've stopped using dropbox and started using bittorrent sync + encfs
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003
Who cares about which file hosting site to use, there are 100's available and the bigger ones usually have backdoors in them.

Dropbox isn't really comparable to Mega, unless I'm missing something and Mega does sync files between all my computers automatically.
Activity: 938
Merit: 255
SmartFi - EARN, LEND & TRADE
Who cares about which file hosting site to use, there are 100's available and the bigger ones usually have backdoors in them.
legendary
Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031
RIP Mommy
Quote from: Me, to Sync feedback
Would you consider adding a plaintext file editor so we can sync our notes across devices? Dropbox has Write 2 Lite but I can't figure out how to use it with Sync other than 1-way saving and editing. Thanks in advance.
vip
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043
👻
I never seriously used dropbox and I never will. SpiderOak is much better.
legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000
Bitcoin
Couldn't be me for this excellent idea!  Grin
Activity: 239
Merit: 100
PErsonally I really like the idea of Bittorrent Sync.

Closed-source cryptography? No way....

What service do you use that offers features comparable to Dropbox?
Activity: 166
This is extremely disrespectful to the customers. Fuck them!
legendary
Activity: 1764
From a privacy perspective, using dropbox for anything more than pictures of your cat is probably a pretty bad idea anyway.

I think it doesn't really matter if you use a truecrypt container

not even open sourced
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1111

Closed-source cryptography? No way....
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
Activity: 130
Merit: 10
From a privacy perspective, using dropbox for anything more than pictures of your cat is probably a pretty bad idea anyway.

legendary
I've been using SpiderOak for about 6 months and really like the service.  It's much more sophisticated than Dropbox, and your data is encrypted before it leaves your computer.  You hold the encryption keys, not them.  They recently introduced a feature called "SpiderOak Hive" for those people who would simply like to organize all their synchronized files under one main directory, like Dropbox does.  Otherwise, you can individually select which files and directories get backed up and which directories get synced with which other directories on other machines.  This is really useful if you do cross-platform development and wish to keep configuration files synced between machines.

There is only one area where I think Dropbox is better, and that is speed of sync.  Sometimes I work on a piece of code right up until I shut down my computer at the office at the end of the day.  Dropbox usually has the file synced within seconds, while SpiderOak may take a minute or more.  For this scenario, I either use a flash drive or the free level of Dropbox service.

and the mobile apps are shit from spideroak. you actually can't upload from mobile which blows.
donator
Activity: 129
Swimming in a sea of data
I've been using SpiderOak for about 6 months and really like the service.  It's much more sophisticated than Dropbox, and your data is encrypted before it leaves your computer.  You hold the encryption keys, not them.  They recently introduced a feature called "SpiderOak Hive" for those people who would simply like to organize all their synchronized files under one main directory, like Dropbox does.  Otherwise, you can individually select which files and directories get backed up and which directories get synced with which other directories on other machines.  This is really useful if you do cross-platform development and wish to keep configuration files synced between machines.

There is only one area where I think Dropbox is better, and that is speed of sync.  Sometimes I work on a piece of code right up until I shut down my computer at the office at the end of the day.  Dropbox usually has the file synced within seconds, while SpiderOak may take a minute or more.  For this scenario, I either use a flash drive or the free level of Dropbox service.

I'm already paid up for awhile, but if I weren't, I would take them up on their bitcoin offer.
legendary
Merit: 1007
I recommend and use

1) ownCloud (works with a simple and cheap PHP shared host, I have 100 gig space currently). Although encryption is possible, ownCloud is designed to be browsable, so the keys would still necessarily have to be on the web host's server too. So it's good enough for personal but public or semi-public stuff like fotos, videos etc. The important thing here is that you retain the rights, unlike uploading them to facebook.

2) a SparkleShare + Bitbucket setup (also other hosts as well as one's own server possible, SparkleShare simply uses git as its backend). Not recommended for versioning large media files (that's not what git is made for), but it's ideal for very private, personal data and documents. In this scenario you'd both use account-based encryption (you'd upload the client-generated key to the server), and client-side encryption (you'll just have to let your repository/project/folder name end with "-crypto"), so file contents are scrambled and even the webhost can't see anything.
legendary
SpiderOak.com (My Ref: http://unurl.org/spideroak ) looks promising too though. Only downside is it's a US Company

Edit: seems like they accept bitcoin: https://spideroak.com/blog/20130812192940-private-and-encrypted-storage-for-bitcoin-spideroak-gives-it-a-try
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
Perhaps instead just choosing different service, you should email them that taking down the voting upset you and that's the reason why they've lost you as customer.

The guy who decided to take down the voting will probably get some heat for that decision and they might reconsider.
Activity: 239
Never will use dropbox that said the community's effort is appreciated

That's okay.. this thread has been renamed to switching from Dropbox Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090
Learning the troll avoidance button :)
Never will use dropbox that said the community's effort is appreciated
Pages:
Jump to: