Pages:
Author

Topic: Dubai( Re: Bitcoin in Honduras' new charter cities) - page 2. (Read 1942 times)

legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021
Democracy is the original 51% attack

Dubai was built by slave labor held at gunpoint and is going bankrupt. Maybe Bitcoin will save it from impending bankruptcy.

Where do you get your information? I lived in Dubai for two years.

A) There is not "slave labor held at gunpoint."  There are some unscrupulous developers who deceived immigrant workers, or renegged on contract obligations. However, this was a minority of developers and is indeed criminal. Most developers simply imported workers from Bangladesh, India, and Pakistan... paying them perhaps $10/day. Why would anyone agree to that? Because back in their countries they made $3/day. Many workers who immigrated to Dubai endured a very difficult job, but were able to send money home to their families and support them much better than if they stayed home, unemployed.

B) Dubai is not bankrupt. The gov incurred significant debt, but it is far less on a % of GDP basis than most countries around the world. Further, the debt was in many ways a good investment, as it turned the city into a thriving metropolis. The financial situation for Dubai is far better than America or any country in Europe. 
donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
That's extremely exciting to the extent that it starts occurring. Keeping my eyes on this.

A case study in similar rapid development would be Dubai's free-zones, which spurred the dusty town into a global city of over a million people in a decade.

The winning combination:
1) Zero or near-zero taxation
2) Respect for and protection of private property rights

I have no doubt Bitcoin will find its way into free Honduran cities if they develop in such a way!

Dubai was built by slave labor held at gunpoint and is going bankrupt. Maybe Bitcoin will save it from impending bankruptcy.
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021
Democracy is the original 51% attack
That's extremely exciting to the extent that it starts occurring. Keeping my eyes on this.

A case study in similar rapid development would be Dubai's free-zones, which spurred the dusty town into a global city of over a million people in a decade.

The winning combination:
1) Zero or near-zero taxation
2) Respect for and protection of private property rights

I have no doubt Bitcoin will find its way into free Honduran cities if they develop in such a way!
Pages:
Jump to: