Pages:
Author

Topic: Earth’s Greatest Threats - page 3. (Read 2330 times)

legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1386
August 17, 2018, 12:52:25 PM
in 1 billion people - in 1820, i.e. in the history of its development;

2 billion people in 1927 - after 107 years,

3 billion people in 1960 - 33 years later,

4 billion people in 1974 - after 14 years,

5 billion people in 1987 after 13 years,

6 billion people in 1999 - 12 years later.

As you can see, the accumulation of the first billion inhabitants of the Earth took several tens of thousands of years, while the 6th billion of them appeared in the last 12 years.

Thus, the 20th century was the period of the fastest growth of the world population. The General accumulation of the human mass was pushed by the entry of an increasing number of countries into the period of sharply expanded reproduction of the population-the demographic revolution

A billion here, a billion there, those billions add up.

I mean, we could get to a billion per hour or per microsecond. The planet's weight would increase so fast it would collapse on itself like a black hole.
Activity: 434
Merit: 4
August 17, 2018, 12:45:41 PM
A National Geographic article accurately describes the state of our planet through outlining the major issues present every Earth Day since 1970. Environmental issues began with pesticides causing death in bald eagles and soot darkening our atmosphere. This year, it’s not just the awareness of plastic use imperiling the earth that is brought up. Today’s worsening environmental issues are apparently, a culmination of all the groundwork humanity has laid over the past two hundred years. 

Habitat loss and climate change are the most pressing issues we are facing today, and one can’t help but fear the seemingly inevitable destruction of our planet.

I believe we have every right to question humanity’s emotional connection to the natural world.

I think the problems in the world are directly related to the rate of growth of mankind on earth - and this is the main reason. Man destroys nature from that and all these cataclysms described in National Geographic. Just think about these numbers.
During the first 500 years of the second Millennium, The world's population has increased by about 1.5 times, the second - 12 times, and only in the last - the 20th century - almost 4 times. The acceleration in population growth is well reflected in the number of years in which the World's population has increased by 1 billion inhabitants. Such C show that the population of the Earth has reached the population:

in 1 billion people - in 1820, i.e. in the history of its development;

2 billion people in 1927 - after 107 years,

3 billion people in 1960 - 33 years later,

4 billion people in 1974 - after 14 years,

5 billion people in 1987 after 13 years,

6 billion people in 1999 - 12 years later.

As you can see, the accumulation of the first billion inhabitants of the Earth took several tens of thousands of years, while the 6th billion of them appeared in the last 12 years.

Thus, the 20th century was the period of the fastest growth of the world population. The General accumulation of the human mass was pushed by the entry of an increasing number of countries into the period of sharply expanded reproduction of the population-the demographic revolution
Activity: 730
Merit: 250
August 17, 2018, 10:25:58 AM
There are a lot of threats on our planet.Now we need to solve them as soon as possible.If all countries stop pulling the blanket on themselves and sit down at the negotiating table and constructively hold a dialogue,most likely it will be possible to find a solution to the problem.
Activity: 20
Merit: 0
August 13, 2018, 01:40:43 PM
Fear and greediness of people are the greatest threats.
Activity: 700
Merit: 255
August 16, 2018, 11:33:01 PM
I share the OP's opinion that one of the greatest problems is climate change I think in something like 50-100 years a lot of major coastal cities will be under water (don't quote me on that statistic though). Another one of the biggest threats is govnt over reach in my opinion it has gotten too big and too powerful and the people that run it are too dumb and do nothing except get in the way of true progress, it's like anything that we want to do to make the world a better place these old fu**s have some sort of problem with it because they are too old and really someone that old does not belong in that position of power they are not aware of the world today they lived in a different time and all they are doing is slowing down good progress with their dumb repressive laws!
Activity: 154
August 16, 2018, 10:55:43 PM
the greatest threats itself is human behavior, we should aware that our earth is getting older. and some nature resources cannot be renewed.
and our child heritage will be just a ton of building and skyscrapper.
Activity: 307
Merit: 101
WPP ENERGY - BACKED ASSET GREEN ENERGY TOKEN
August 16, 2018, 06:33:10 PM
I believe that the greatest threat of our planet is humans also. This is just simply because all that problems that is happening in our world is because of us. Like for example, the depletion of ozone layer is due to us that continuously using things that releases toxic chemical and another thing is that we keep on cutting trees. We all should be enlightened that we do really caused those problems but we are also the ones who are capable to do something to control and minimize those issues.
Activity: 55
August 14, 2018, 12:37:35 AM
Antibiotic-resistant bacteria. We hear about it but I feel that for the most part, we tend to think that it's a problem that somebody else will tend to and figure out.
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1386
August 13, 2018, 08:22:39 PM
They're so numerous that naming them makes no sense. Our world is ridiculously fragile...

Odd, I see the world as remarkably resilient and strong. It is the sum of successful methods of billions of years, right?

Fragile?

Bah.
Activity: 17
August 13, 2018, 05:41:00 PM
They're so numerous that naming them makes no sense. Our world is ridiculously fragile...
Activity: 7
August 11, 2018, 09:45:37 AM
In my own view human beings are the greatest threats to the earth through our actions we keep making the earth inhabitable for ourselves.
Activity: 179
Merit: 16
August 13, 2018, 12:17:49 PM
Read the other day that laziness caused homo erectus to die out. It's possible that our near-sightedness and general disrespect for ourselves and nature will cause homo sapiens to meet a similar fate.. I don't think this will be the case though, as we are resourceful and there are enough forward-thinking people among us who are currently coming up with various alternatives to standard life on earth-space colonization, mind uploading, etc. Also feel like after this summer people are starting to realize the extent of which the damage we've caused and will start giving a shit.
Activity: 7
August 11, 2018, 09:39:37 AM
In my own view human beings are the greatest threats to the earth through our actions we keep making the earth inhabitable for ourselves.
Activity: 62
Merit: 10
August 13, 2018, 10:14:18 AM
From the whole history of mankind, I am afraid that the greatest threat to the earth are ourselves. The earth has been happened mass extinction five times since the birth of the earth, will it be re-evolved again?
Activity: 210
Merit: 40
August 13, 2018, 09:14:36 AM
If we continue like this we will destroy ourselves so we are the greatest threat. Climate changes and endangered species are consequence of human actions. If we don't wake up now soon it might be too late and developed countries that are the bigest threat to Earth should lead wit their example.
Activity: 29
August 13, 2018, 08:58:55 AM
in my oppinion greatest threats are humans, their fear, their greed, their panic, and possible assosiations that find together to reach goals at the expense of others. like bitcoin for example.
I totally agreed with this submission. Human is the Earth greatest fear. Human greediness. Have you ever asked why this mass production of mass destructive weapons. Who are we hunting. Cyber war, economic war, global warming are all aftermath effect of man's action.
August 11, 2018, 10:58:52 AM
There's countless threats to earth but just to put a different spin on it, I'll leave you with a quote from Robert Swan who said:

"The greatest danger to our planet is the belief that someone else will save it."

It shouldn't be just environmentalists saving our planet, every person should do more. When we finally wake up and realize that war is not the answer, then instead of recruiting troops for a mandatory service of 1year +, every country could recruit young people to go on environmental missions. I've always believed traveling is one of the most awarding things we can do on this planet. If each and every young person were given the opportunity to learn and travel the world, while saving our planet, we could actually make a difference.

That's a great quote! Thanks for sharing. That actually reminds me of another quote. I think it goes along with yours. Google tells me the quote is attributed to Hillel first- century Jewish scholar, “If not you, then who? If not now, when?” People definitely need to think more about the role they play in the world. The mandatory volunteer service could be interesting. I think that Germany has some kind of option like that instead of the military.
Activity: 19
August 11, 2018, 09:01:24 AM
This has to be the the simplest question ever. Its definitely climate change. Care must be taken to actually circumvent this from accelerating further than it is. Countries and lives are going to be lost. Dependence on fossil fuels and other human activities enable this. Luckily, much effort is being put into obtaining a sustainable future through sustainable energy among a whole lot. Surely the future looks bright but will only happen if we all actively engage in it.
Activity: 56
August 10, 2018, 08:16:10 AM
There's countless threats to earth but just to put a different spin on it, I'll leave you with a quote from Robert Swan who said:

"The greatest danger to our planet is the belief that someone else will save it."

It shouldn't be just environmentalists saving our planet, every person should do more. When we finally wake up and realize that war is not the answer, then instead of recruiting troops for a mandatory service of 1year +, every country could recruit young people to go on environmental missions. I've always believed traveling is one of the most awarding things we can do on this planet. If each and every young person were given the opportunity to learn and travel the world, while saving our planet, we could actually make a difference.
August 10, 2018, 07:07:15 AM
It appears terrorism is the greatest threat facing humanity now.
You are really mistaken. Terrorism is horrible, but it is nowhere near the greatest threat we're facing. How about some statistics for you:
    – You are 17,600 times more likely to die from heart disease than from a terrorist attack

– You are 12,571 times more likely to die from cancer than from a terrorist attack

— You are 11,000 times more likely to die in an airplane accident than from a terrorist plot involving an airplane

— You are 1048 times more likely to die from a car accident than from a terrorist attack

–You are 404 times more likely to die in a fall than from a terrorist attack

— You are 87 times more likely to drown than die in a terrorist attack

– You are 13 times more likely to die in a railway accident than from a terrorist attack

–You are 12 times more likely to die from accidental suffocation in bed than from a terrorist attack

–You are 9 times more likely to choke to death on your own vomit than die in a terrorist attack

–You are 8 times more likely to be killed by a police officer than by a terrorist

–You are 8 times more likely to die from accidental electrocution than from a terrorist attack

– You are 6 times more likely to die from hot weather than from a terrorist attack
Source: https://www.infowars.com/statistics-show-you-are-not-going-to-be-killed-by-terrorism/

These numbers are for American citizens I believe, but they even include deaths in Afghanistan and Iraq. The number will differ from country to country, but not that much. There are so many more things to worry about than terrorism. The governments wants you to be scared of terrorism, so they take more of your rights away and distract you from their corruption.
Pages:
Jump to: