Pages:
Author

Topic: Ebay Forbids Bitcoin for Payments - page 4. (Read 3947 times)

legendary
Activity: 1820
Merit: 1001
July 18, 2015, 08:06:46 PM
Ebay are looking into adding bitcoin as a payment option, but only when they see it is right and they understand totally. With Bitcoin you have no control over payments, once its sent payment is final and the customer in their eyes being the consumer their is no wrights. If their was protection over transactions like paypal as or any other service having option to contact them to issues a refund or to make a dispute this is where Bitcoin lacks as all payments are final, unless the receiver sends it back upon request. Ebay are looking at the tech behind Bitcoin and its security benefits and no doubt maybe see something like baycoin come out with their own controls over it. If Ebay looked past and said ok lets accept it on a trial run and get a bunch of beta testers to test it out then they would see a lot more to it and to better understand it.
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000
July 18, 2015, 07:56:51 PM
This is confusing. eBay doesn't conduct or handle any payments. eBay uses PayPal and they just decided to spin off the PayPal unit, so this sounds like a non-issue.

Yes, I really thought with the spin off of paypal eBay would become a lot more accepting of bitcoin.  But this suggests otherwise.  Maybe something else is going on with the OP?
legendary
Activity: 3332
Merit: 6809
Cashback 15%
July 18, 2015, 07:25:28 PM
Ebay is run by a ton of scunts who couldn't tell a dogecoin from a real dog.  Though I love the marketplace Ebay provides and I do use it frequently, they've transformed it into a seller's nightmare.  I'd like to assfuck the CEO on live television, and you have that on record.  Is there anything else that needs to be said?
Activity: 672
Merit: 500
July 18, 2015, 07:19:44 PM
Bitcoin has no consumer protection, eBay and Paypal are very big on consumer protection, it makes sence sellers cannot use bitcoin as a payment method on their platform.

They also do not permit cash and a bunch of other payment methods, this isn't something new...

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/accepted-payments-policy.html

Gotta agree with you on this one.

Unless a payment method is capable of being charged back I doubt they would consider using it. They have so many disputes to resolve that they have to stick to something allowing charge backs. Perhaps they might start accepting Bitcoin if they start using a third party service that holds Bitcoin payments in escrow until it's been confirmed there is no chargeback.'

eBay can be the escrow if they wanted, and holds the bitcoin for 6 months until after chargeback period. They don't want to because there is too few people using bitcoins. They also own PayPal. PayPal is making a lot of money for eBay, they are not going to kill their own golden goose for bitcoin.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/04/22/us-ebay-results-idUSKBN0ND2GS20150422
Activity: 560
July 18, 2015, 07:15:53 PM
But this is not new news? When did EBAY ever allow listings where the seller was willing to take btc as a payment. Im sure they have been taking down those listing for the better part of the last 3 years.

No this is not new news, I had a listing taken down 2 years ago for saying I wouold accept btc.  

Obviously they know people are looking to use btc, but why would they allow listing to be hosted on their website, only to have people complete tranactions in btc and avoid their listing fees.  Similarly if they knew you were going to say send a check and avoid the fees, they wouldnt allow that.

Will be interesting to see if they try to put all this effort into actually allowing btc to be used as payment, rather than wasting all this effort banning its use.  They could really open up a HUGE potential for btc use as tey are already worldwide and the largest place to sell stuff online.

The simple option here is to allow Paypal accounts to be funded with bitcoin, I think they have much to gain with this, probably it's even better for them than current system only allowing credit and debit cards.

That may solve the issue perfectly. EBay could still process "PayPal" payments and not care too much how the transaction is funded.

If they wanted to steer clear of btc just make sure they state all seller fees are paid in fiat. Then let the buyer and seller choose how the money goes in or out of their PayPal acct. Simple solution and eBay doesn't have to deal with btc.
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
Loose lips sink sigs!
July 18, 2015, 06:51:53 PM
This is confusing. eBay doesn't conduct or handle any payments. eBay uses PayPal and they just decided to spin off the PayPal unit, so this sounds like a non-issue.
Activity: 184
Merit: 100
July 18, 2015, 05:38:36 PM
Bitcoin has no consumer protection, eBay and Paypal are very big on consumer protection, it makes sence sellers cannot use bitcoin as a payment method on their platform.

They also do not permit cash and a bunch of other payment methods, this isn't something new...

Unless a payment method is capable of being charged back I doubt they would consider using it. They have so many disputes to resolve that they have to stick to something allowing charge backs. Perhaps they might start accepting Bitcoin if they start using a third party service that holds Bitcoin payments in escrow until it's been confirmed there is no chargeback.'
legendary
Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031
July 18, 2015, 04:40:15 PM
Etsy allows btc payments, the seller and buyer have to set it up, and you can only sell crafts, craft supplies, and vintage stuff on Etsy, but they have a how to accept btc page, so they are definitely friendly.

The problem with openbazzaar is that there isn't much traffic.

Frist time i hear something about Etsy I'll check it out, traffic in this type of sites is pretty much taken over by Amazon and Ebay Hopefully the openbazzaar new funding would bring something great to bitcoin users.

Etsy worth is like 3 billion dollars, it's a pretty big website...
Activity: 686
July 18, 2015, 04:34:24 PM
Etsy allows btc payments, the seller and buyer have to set it up, and you can only sell crafts, craft supplies, and vintage stuff on Etsy, but they have a how to accept btc page, so they are definitely friendly.

Frist time i hear something about Etsy I'll check it out, traffic in this type of sites is pretty much taken over by Amazon and Ebay Hopefully the openbazzaar new funding would bring something great to bitcoin users.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1010
Ad maiora!
July 18, 2015, 04:24:59 PM

Activity: 112
Merit: 10
July 18, 2015, 04:14:52 PM
eBay should get an escrow and go from there. Not hard...

And who would pay that escrow?

Since bitcoin only try to secure the seller and not the buyer they need to do a lot of extra work they dont need to think about with other payment metodes.

if they can attract a new users base with the bitcoin payment then the profit which will result from it, can pay the escrow, the point it that the users base of bitcoin is so tiny and they know that

Not only are the usebase low but there are just 4,5 million bitcoins in circulation. Compare that to the currencys they deal in everyday and you see how little and isignificant bitcoin is for them and other big global companies.

4.5M? are you talking about available bitcoin in circulation? and where did you find this number btw, an estimation? because i doubt that there are 10M lost coin from the 14M+ total coins in circulation

No bitcoin is lost. Some are just hard to get.

3 years ago only 20% of the bitcoins had ever been used. 80% was untouched after mining. Still most bitcoin is just put in cold storage. My number is probably way to high.
Activity: 686
July 18, 2015, 03:38:59 PM
Funny how ebay forbids bitcoin payments but it owns a company that works with bitcoin payment braintree is own by ebay and their payment processor has bitcoin a form of payment, it would be funny if braintree becomes the main gateway processor of ebay and they enable bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 1241
Merit: 1005
..like bright metal on a sullen ground.
July 18, 2015, 03:27:52 PM

legendary
Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031
July 18, 2015, 02:39:46 PM
But this is not new news? When did EBAY ever allow listings where the seller was willing to take btc as a payment. Im sure they have been taking down those listing for the better part of the last 3 years.

No this is not new news, I had a listing taken down 2 years ago for saying I wouold accept btc.  

Obviously they know people are looking to use btc, but why would they allow listing to be hosted on their website, only to have people complete tranactions in btc and avoid their listing fees.  Similarly if they knew you were going to say send a check and avoid the fees, they wouldnt allow that.

Will be interesting to see if they try to put all this effort into actually allowing btc to be used as payment, rather than wasting all this effort banning its use.  They could really open up a HUGE potential for btc use as tey are already worldwide and the largest place to sell stuff online.

The simple option here is to allow Paypal accounts to be funded with bitcoin, I think they have much to gain with this, probably it's even better for them than current system only allowing credit and debit cards.
Activity: 798
LIR Dev. www.letitride.io
July 18, 2015, 02:27:21 PM

Nope, don't think they will. I don't know why but I think ebay hates BTC. Maybe its because they know that once btc is huge its only a matter of time till a new ebay is formed, one that bigger, better and cheaper to use. Maybe even based on blockchain tech or some sort of decentralized something or other.

July 18, 2015, 02:25:41 PM
I got a big news flash for you guys.. the reason Ebay and Paypal are getting a divorce is because of BTC.
Paypal loves btc even if they don't come out and say it and Im thinking btc is a big reason why the two are splitting up.
Activity: 560
July 18, 2015, 02:20:40 PM

staff
Activity: 3500
Merit: 6152
July 18, 2015, 02:19:40 PM
Well it's sad , but I don't think Ebay not accepting Bitcoin will be the factor of Bitcoin failure , a lot of other comapnies are accepting Bitcoin now , so Ebay can go to hell and in after months OpenBazaar will be opened  and hopefully no one will need Ebay or amazon shit anymore .
July 18, 2015, 02:13:05 PM
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068
July 18, 2015, 02:11:18 PM
And i guess they can't protect the buyer with a simple escrow, since the fund can't be withheld long and once released cannot be charged back.

I still think there should be a way.

Like BTC -> Processor -> USD(or whatever) sent to -> Seller

The BTC would be effectively held by the processor for the length of the buyer's protection. It would still be possible to charge back since the BTC would be held by the creditor. From that point on its no problem to chargeback the USD forwarded.
Pages:
Jump to: