Pages:
Author

Topic: Ebay may begin accepting Bitcoin payments via its Braintree platform - page 2. (Read 2197 times)

Activity: 602
Merit: 500
If this does happen it will boast the price up no ends and we'll have a lot more people coming to Bitcoin unless ebay charge massive fees for purchasing in Bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000
Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin
What's the source and I don't see anything that suggests ebay will other than assumption. It may accept it, but it may not.

After the success of Dell with bitcoin payments, I would be surprised if ebay, amazon and other big companies wouldn't start accepting btc any time soon.

But Bitcoin is a direct competitior to Paypal, infact it could have the potential to severly damage it once people see how cheap and safe it is to send bitcoins.

Yes it is, and thats exactly why im 100% sure bitcoin wont get implemented there.
We're on a good path with adoption, but hoping ebay will accept it is like hoping to win on a lottery.
Notice how the keyword is allways "may"
Activity: 181
Merit: 100
What's the source and I don't see anything that suggests ebay will other than assumption. It may accept it, but it may not.

After the success of Dell with bitcoin payments, I would be surprised if ebay, amazon and other big companies wouldn't start accepting btc any time soon.

But Bitcoin is a direct competitior to Paypal, infact it could have the potential to severly damage it once people see how cheap and safe it is to send bitcoins.

They can still target elder and tech non-savy type to use paypal while letting those who are in the know to use bitcoin.
Activity: 525

Activity: 588
Will Bitcoin Rise Again to $60,000?

This Coindesk article clarifies quite a bit

http://www.coindesk.com/paypal-subsidiary-braintee-talks-coinbase-accept-bitcoin/

I meant the source for this article, but I don't see anything suggesting ebay will.

a subsidiary of eBay and PayPal, is “in talks” with Coinbase and several other processing companies on the possibility of accepting bitcoin

A subsidary and keywords “in talks”, so nothing to get excited about yet.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
I hope ebay starts accepting bitcoin.That will be some really huge news and I can't think of the hype such a thing can create.
I really want this to happen.  Grin Grin Grin
Activity: 193

This Coindesk article clarifies quite a bit

http://www.coindesk.com/paypal-subsidiary-braintee-talks-coinbase-accept-bitcoin/
Activity: 223
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2465743/ebay-may-begin-accepting-bitcoin-payments-via-its-braintree-platform.html
Several large and notable companies have started accepting Bitcoin in recent months including Dell, Dish, Expedia, and Overstock. But the crypto-currency may be on the verge of snagging its biggest supporter yet: eBay.

The online commerce giant is reportedly in talks with Bitcoin transaction providers to allow Bitcoin payments on eBay-owned payment processor Braintree, according to The Wall Street Journal. Yes, in the coming months you may be able to pay for your Github subscription and Uber rides via Bitcoin.

Braintree, which eBay acquired last fall for $800 million, is the payment provider for many online companies, including Github and Uber, as well as Airbnb, Basecamp, Hotel Tonight, OpenTable, Stack Overflow, and Task Rabit.

It’s not clear which company Braintree might tap to handle its Bitcoin payments, but one firm under consideration is Coinbase, the Journal says. Coinbase clients include Dell, Dish, Expedia, Overstock, and Reddit. Google also relies on Coinbase for its Bitcoin currency price listing on Google search.

Ebay’s flirtation with Bitcoin would be solely centered on Braintree, but over time Bitcoin could come to eBay.com and PayPal, the Journal says. However, there’s no word on when Bitcoin might actually come to Braintree.

Despite its shady and volatile past, Bitcoin is slowly seeping into mainstream Internet usage as more companies sign on to accept the crypto-currency. But government agencies are taking a far more cautious approach to Bitcoin even as the market seeks to embrace it.

On Monday, the U.S. Consumer Financial Protection Bureau issued a consumer advisory that warns consumers to be cautious about buying up Bitcoin. “Virtual currencies are not backed by any government or central bank,” the CFPB advisory said. “And at this point consumers are stepping into the Wild West when they engage in the market.”
Pages:
Jump to: