Pages:
Author

Topic: Éire - page 2. (Read 10122 times)

Activity: 440
Merit: 250
April 29, 2013, 05:14:08 AM
Likewise ... Nice to meet you all too ... @Fergalish .. my address... 1MDTjhp8rVTM3bMNnCH77hEXWnGGpZBNLg
My Bitcoin address: 1MAHKULzqZb4evFFg9157LvnJhJQQbeYo7
Hey! 14x999VDuEd48ykqYrg8K6a1kto45a3BHf is me - cheers man! It was good to meet you!
Hey, I just realised this is the first time I've paid for dinner, or any food, with bitcoins! Thanks to all, great meeting. I'm gonna think some more about the ideas we spoke about. http://blockchain.info/tx/a1c25ceceee7b4eaf47bc3395d7f08024f8c3423d96975175ad65a48596927dd

Curious about that blazr link. Nothing illicit changed hands so it's a bit bizarre that the police would manage to get a warrant. I expect you need a warrant to intercept post too. I wonder would it be clever to pre-print a receipt in two copies before meeting someone, with a declaration along the lines of "The bitcoins being exchanged for €XXX at exchange rate €YYY/BTC to be sent to address 1ADDRESS, will not be utilised for any illicit activity and the buyer indemnifies the seller of any responsibility thereof." Then ask the buyer for ID which you photograph and fill in on the receipt before accepting any money, both parties sign and take a copy. At least then you have a written record to show a judge, just in case.

edit: I wonder will blazr be getting letters from the revenue authorities. €500 in cash is probably enough to raise a flag. Actually, anybody using this forum, or localbitcoins or similar, and has left a meatspace trail, has probably been flagged by now.
Activity: 135
Merit: 100
April 29, 2013, 04:30:45 AM
*facepalm* *facepalm* *facepalm* *facepalm* *facepalm*

There I was on the train north out of Dublin, listening to a girl about the age of my youngest complaining about not being able to change her Euros to Sterling on a Sunday night, and thinking how much easier these things would be if *everyone* used bitcoin, and thinking about how after Saturdays' meetup everything in the bitcoin world seemed to be in a good place. I didn't take the opportunity to talk to those kids about bitcoin because I'd offered to put bitcoin on my daughter's smartphone and her reaction was to wonder why her dad would want *any* connection with drugs. *sigh*

So last night when I read up on the various posts and read the Blazr link I was fuming. I've calmed down overnight, and had a think about whether I should post anything about what is *potentially* a major PR disaster for bitcoin, for the cops, for Ireland's exporting SME's, and for Ireland's tourist trade. ( these two threads have 6000+ reads potentially world-wide so it may be only a matter of time )

I can't speak for the Guards, or even for the local cops, but I would expect that there would be some who are into bitcoin and I'd guess their reaction will be *facepalm* ... FWIW I had some involvement with bulletin boards way back when, and cops were involved in that community. If you knew, you kept *schtum* for obvious reasons. The real issue here seems to be a  Judge who has never heard of Die Antwoord ... JIK ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Uee_mcxvrw

I have other interests besides bitcoin, hence while I was in Dublin I bought a 100g high precision LCD scale. So check that. Carries bitcoin and fiat monies around. Check there too. Mining rig pushes up electricity intake and the heat signature of the house. Check there also.

I'm *entirely* legit, and no, the idea that I have nothing to hide and therefore would be content to have a body cavity search carried out on my person is a non-starter. I've had that done by an attractive young lady on the national health and ... for the curious I might explain everything at our next meeting.

*sigh* I'll say it again. The cops I've met are decent hardworking guys and girls trying to do their best for their communities. I'd read that the Bitcoin Foundation would be supportive of local chapters. Until now I thought that layer of bureaucracy was more trouble than it was worth.

*facepalm* *facepalm* *facepalm*
Activity: 135
April 28, 2013, 06:32:13 PM
Regards to all, and thanks for the chance to meet - we covered a lot of ground in a couple of hours.

That link about Blazr - bizzare - there has to be something seriously wrong about that.
Activity: 434
Every saint has a past. Every sinner has a future.
April 28, 2013, 03:27:06 PM
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/--174918 guys have you seen this? WTF?
Activity: 3
Merit: 0
April 28, 2013, 08:47:47 AM
Likewise ... Nice to meet you all too ... @Fergalish .. my address... 1MDTjhp8rVTM3bMNnCH77hEXWnGGpZBNLg

thanks again all ...
April 28, 2013, 06:33:10 AM
I owe some of ye some coins - 0.03 for Mahkul and notooccupanther and 0.06 for simplydt. Can ye post them here or in PM?

Hey! Very nice to meet you guys, thanks very much for coming. I hope that we will stay in touch from now on.

My Bitcoin address: 1MAHKULzqZb4evFFg9157LvnJhJQQbeYo7
Activity: 126
April 28, 2013, 05:40:33 AM
Good to meet you guys yesterday - until next time! Thanks for organising it.
April 28, 2013, 03:51:33 AM
I owe some of ye some coins - 0.03 for Mahkul and notooccupanther and 0.06 for simplydt. Can ye post them here or in PM?
April 27, 2013, 12:26:29 PM
Too much noise at the Bull & Castle. We've moved to the Lord Edward pub across the road.
Activity: 36
April 27, 2013, 12:13:24 PM
Hi folks, I'm not going to make it in, bit of an emergency back at home. Hope it's a good one though, enjoy, and I'll catch ya's at the next one!
April 27, 2013, 11:18:22 AM
We're upstairs at the Bull & Castle right now, at the far end of the bar, in a dark, gloomy corner as far from the big screens as you can get really. Look for the three guys that look like bitcoin heads.
April 27, 2013, 08:35:02 AM
I'll be there for 4.30!
April 27, 2013, 08:23:03 AM
Just about to leave Wexford. I hope I won't find an empty table up there. Smiley
April 26, 2013, 02:59:33 PM
I am also still up for it. Smiley
April 25, 2013, 06:41:47 PM
I'm still on for the meeting. 4pm Saturday at the Bull & Castle, Lord Edward St. Seems there'll be 8 or 9 of us. See ye there. Remember - bring a PGP key for signing if you like and maybe a couple of paper wallets with a bitcent preloaded (~€1), for tips.

Excellent, I look forward to it! Smiley
As far as tipping and paper wallets go, most folks nowadays have a smartphone that they'd be able to download a Bitcoin wallet app onto. Maybe as well as the paper wallets themselves we should bring some small 'flash-card' style instructions on how to redeem the paper wallets (we have the blockchain.info app on both iOS and Android, for example) and a QR-code link to BitMit (or any Bitcoin store/site) that the staff can just scan and immediately go somewhere they can spend their BTC and have a real, tangible product delivered to them.

There are a lot of people out there that are completely unfamiliar with digital currency and wouldn't necessarily understand the distinction between an actual digital currency such as Bitcoin (which can be used to buy any real tangible product) and a virtual gaming currency such as Second Life Linden Dollars (which can only be used to buy a virtual product).

If they have a simple way of obtaining a good or a service for their 'digital funny money' they'd be more likely to see that it serves as an actual method of payment for real world products. Judging from my own thoughts on it, if I had received a paper wallet a couple of years back loaded with a digital currency - having absolutely no idea about it's value or potential - I most likely would have just thrown it out with the used receipts and rubbish. Undecided
April 25, 2013, 09:23:43 AM
I'm still on for the meeting. 4pm Saturday at the Bull & Castle, Lord Edward St. Seems there'll be 8 or 9 of us. See ye there. Remember - bring a PGP key for signing if you like and maybe a couple of paper wallets with a bitcent preloaded (~€1), for tips.
April 25, 2013, 04:13:23 AM
Just wondering if everybody's still up for this Saturday?
Activity: 3
April 24, 2013, 07:16:52 AM
Newbie here ..could I pop along for the meet on Saturday .. I've only .00002 of a BTC mined so far so tips etc would be impossibru for me I'm afraid ...
Activity: 197
April 23, 2013, 05:26:49 AM
Major breakthrough for bitcoin in Ireland. GSMSolutions now accept bitcoin!
http://www.gsmsolutions.ie/shop/#

I recommend everyone buy their mobile phone and laptop accessories from GSM Solutions. They are located beside the Jervis Luas Stop. Very easy to get to.
Activity: 197
April 22, 2013, 01:04:01 PM
Hope you guys are prepared for being tarnished as anti-Republican, anti-State and anti-irish in the long term.

Wooo, Im scared!

You could say the same things about the euro. In fact, bitcoin enthusiasts can easily market bitcoin as a viable alternative to the euro for ireland.
Pages:
Jump to: