Pages:
Author

Topic: Electrical Responsbility - page 2. (Read 2184 times)

legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
April 15, 2014, 11:25:07 PM
How many AMPs are you pulling? Do you have a standard 200A service?

I doubt they will want to upgrade hardware on their dime, you aren't a typical customer. If you were to move they would have over built, under utilized infrastructure. Time to look into commercial/industrial locals.

if you have city approved permitted 200 amp service    you are entitled to use it.

now   following the  very conservative 75% constant run safety margin you are allowed to pull  150 amps 24/7/365.  that would be 18000 watts non stop.

of course your problem may be the city/town did not permit 200 amp service or you may draw more then 150/200 amps.

good luck fighting them.

put another way " if you are using under 75% of your permitted  amp rating 24/7/365  you should be allowed to get that.  "

Ask the power company to show you in writing that the statement above is wrong.  if you are in an area wide power shortage  brownout they can shut you down.

but in non emergency conditions  they should be required to provide what your city/town  permit rates your home for.   

My home has 150 amp 220 volt service  which is split into 2 110 volt rails.  other then one 40 amp fuse for my ac at 220 volt.

I run 6000 watts 24/7/365 for mining in the winter and about 2300 watts in the summer
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
April 15, 2014, 08:55:06 PM

I doubt they will want to upgrade hardware on their dime, you aren't a typical customer. If you were to move they would have over built, under utilized infrastructure. Time to look into commercial/industrial locals.

+1
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000
April 15, 2014, 04:00:27 PM

Activity: 138
Merit: 100
April 14, 2014, 10:53:48 PM

Who's responsibility is the transformer? Isn't that the power companies not mine?

They said if i blow the fuse again they won't be back until morning. This is in CO, USA with excel energy.

DON'T give in to them! I live in Colorado (Arvada) they tried to make me pay to move a line that had been connected to my garage 10 years BEFORE I bought the house. They came out, put in a new pole, moved the line and tried to stick me with an $1800 bill. Fricken pound sand Xcel Energy!!!

I called the Public Utilities Commission, super nice lady, told me to write them (P.U.C.) a letter. In just two weeks I got a nice little letter back from Xcel stating they were sorry for the error in judgement and I would NOT have to pay the $1800.

So fight it!! You are paying your bill every month so they can just pony up the money and build out what you need to support your mining business.

Hope this helps.

Rob
April 14, 2014, 01:55:49 AM
I've already requested additional power from them, but they are taking their sweet time. If the transformer serves dozens or hundreds of houses, why would that be my responsibility?

Running bitcoin miners is not considered normal load growth
Activity: 882
Merit: 501
Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong
April 14, 2014, 01:34:55 AM
I've already requested additional power from them, but they are taking their sweet time. If the transformer serves dozens or hundreds of houses, why would that be my responsibility?
April 14, 2014, 01:30:05 AM
It is the customers responsibility to inform the power utility if their power requirements exceed that of a typical residence.

I run into this problem all the time at work with grow ops.

And BTW any increase in transformer size should be on your dime.
April 14, 2014, 01:29:04 AM
It is the customers responsibility to inform the power utility if their power requirements exceed that of a typical residence.

I run into this problem all the time at work with grow ops.
Activity: 882
Merit: 501
Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong
April 14, 2014, 12:15:37 AM
Okay, so the other day we burnt down the line from the power company to our house.

Today we have tripped some fuse in a transformer "can" somewhere 3 times resulting in about 150 houses being without electricity.

The linemen stopped by my place in their big truck to discuss the issue with me, telling me that they need 3 times the capacity at the transformer in order for me to pull so many amps.

Who's responsibility is the transformer? Isn't that the power companies not mine?

They said if i blow the fuse again they won't be back until morning. This is in CO, USA with excel energy.
Pages:
Jump to: