Pages:
Author

Topic: Electrum 2.5 released - page 2. (Read 3895 times)

legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164
October 24, 2015, 10:30:32 AM
I ran the new 2.5.1 .exe on my Windows 7 system.  It ran my Trezor based wallet and it ran my software wallet.  I also ran this version on my Windows 8 system, testing it with my Trezor and it worked OK.  I did message signing tests and sending tranactions with the Trezor.

Looks good!  Thanks, Thomas!

Which 2.5.1 did you run, the one Thomas posted earlier i.e. the test one or the electrum-2.5.1-portable.exe ?

Just want to check because if it was the portable one then something must be wrong with my setup. Just tried sending from it again and nothing happens when I press on the send button.

Your installation must be corrupted. The true portable 2.5.1 works fine for me and does not save files to %AppData%
Activity: 336
Merit: 250
October 24, 2015, 02:51:59 AM
I ran the new 2.5.1 .exe on my Windows 7 system.  It ran my Trezor based wallet and it ran my software wallet.  I also ran this version on my Windows 8 system, testing it with my Trezor and it worked OK.  I did message signing tests and sending tranactions with the Trezor.

Which 2.5.1 did you run, the one Thomas posted earlier i.e. the test one or the electrum-2.5.1-portable.exe ?

Just want to check because if it was the portable one then something must be wrong with my setup. Just tried sending from it again and nothing happens when I press on the send button.
Activity: 278
Merit: 251
October 23, 2015, 05:16:55 PM

October 23, 2015, 04:29:32 PM
Thomas,

I installed the portable version 2.5.1 earlier and as posted, everything seemed to be fine.

I tried sending btc to another wallet of mine but was unable to do so. After setting up the transaction when I click on 'Send' and nothing happens. I restarted Electrum again, entered the pin for the Trezor etc.. but same thing, nothing happens when you click on send.

I tried the same transaction on the older 2.3.2 portable version and the transaction went through without any problems. So seems like there is a bug in the 2.5.1 (portable) version.

October 23, 2015, 10:34:09 AM
Checked for updated files about 15 min ago and spotted the updated binaries in the downloads section.

Busy downloading now, will test and post results.

Once again, thanks for the effort to get us all onto the latest version of Electrum  Cheesy

EDIT: Just checked everything quickly and it all seems 100%. Portable version works as it should making use of the data files in the same folder. Trezor working fine.
legendary
Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353
October 23, 2015, 06:45:49 AM
Thank you for testing. The new binaries are available on electrum.org, with signatures

A 'portable' version is also available, separate from 'standalone'.
The portable version stores electrum_data in the local directory.
legendary
Activity: 942
Merit: 1026
October 23, 2015, 06:30:45 AM
ok, here is a windows binary that should work with trezor: https://electrum.org/electrum-trezor-test.exe
please let me know if it works.

(it's a test version, the final one will have keepkey and btchip too)

Awesome! I can't wait for the btchip version!

wohoo. also can't wait for the btchip integration in win binary.
Activity: 306
October 23, 2015, 04:06:27 AM
ok, here is a windows binary that should work with trezor: https://electrum.org/electrum-trezor-test.exe

Awesome! I can't wait for the btchip version!

October 22, 2015, 08:44:25 PM

Just tested it with my Trezor and all seems to be working just fine.

One request though, will it be possible to make this exe so that it works from the data files in the folder from where its started? I see it still writes its data to the AppData folder.

Also, I noticed that the account labels is working now as they should. The account names used to revert back to 'Main Account' or Account 1' once you changed their names but this now seems to be sorted out.

Thanks for the effort to get this update out to us.
legendary
October 22, 2015, 04:13:59 PM
I'll be glad to test a true portable version that does not write to %AppData%
October 22, 2015, 03:26:05 PM
I'll try it, but first I'll need a signature file, since I don't run unsigned .exe's.
legendary
Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353
October 22, 2015, 03:21:11 PM

October 22, 2015, 12:09:28 PM
From what they said I understood it as meaning that the signature is generated by the Trezor and not by Electrum so there will not be any problems with the high-S signatures as the Trezor do not create these. So using a Trezor together with an older version of Electrum will not be a problem as its not Electrum generating the signatures but the Trezor instead so there should be no problem with the transactions.

That is my understanding, also.  However, I wanted to use the same installation of Electrum with a different wallet that was not Trezor based.  I needed 2.5.1 for that wallet to work correctly.

October 22, 2015, 06:40:27 AM
I sent a mail to SatoshiLabs in regards to the the fact that we needed to upgrade to the latest version of Electrum and the fact that it, at present, has no Trezor support (Windows version).

Following was part of the reply received:

when using TREZOR with any client wallet, the transaction is created by TREZOR, so mention changes has no effect over created transaction. Client wallets like Electrum serves only as the bridge to Bitcoin network for TREZOR and displays the current balance and transaction history. There is no danger in using version 2.3.2 for Windows. Hopefully in future version they will support hardware wallets again because on other platforms (iOS, Linux) hardware wallets are supported.

So those with Trezors can still continue to make use of the older versions of Electrum it seems so I'll stick with the 2.3.2 version I'm running now.

My understanding is that core 0.11.1 will reject transactions with high-S signatures.  These won't be created by Trezor, but if you are running a software wallet with Electrum 2.3.2 you may be creating these signatures and may have problems with your transactions.  In my case, I have one copy of Electrum on my Windows 7 machine and a hardware and a software wallet.  I had to upgrade to 2.5.1 and I had to make Trezor work with the upgraded version. 

If you are comfortable installing software on Windows and familiar with the windows command line, environment variables, etc.  it's not too hard to get Electrum to run on Windows from the source code.  The directions are on https://electrum.org/#download.

It's a little more difficult to get Trezor to work from source code, involving installing Python-Trezor and its dependencies. https://github.com/trezor/python-trezor You can run the python-trezor file helloworld.py test program to see if you have communication from python programs to your Trezor.  If you have electrum running without the Trezor and helloworld.py talking to your Trezor then you should be good to go.

From what they said I understood it as meaning that the signature is generated by the Trezor and not by Electrum so there will not be any problems with the high-S signatures as the Trezor do not create these. So using a Trezor together with an older version of Electrum will not be a problem as its not Electrum generating the signatures but the Trezor instead so there should be no problem with the transactions.
October 21, 2015, 04:02:32 PM
I sent a mail to SatoshiLabs in regards to the the fact that we needed to upgrade to the latest version of Electrum and the fact that it, at present, has no Trezor support (Windows version).

when using TREZOR with any client wallet, the transaction is created by TREZOR, so mention changes has no effect over created transaction. Client wallets like Electrum serves only as the bridge to Bitcoin network for TREZOR and displays the current balance and transaction history. There is no danger in using version 2.3.2 for Windows. Hopefully in future version they will support hardware wallets again because on other platforms (iOS, Linux) hardware wallets are supported.

So those with Trezors can still continue to make use of the older versions of Electrum it seems so I'll stick with the 2.3.2 version I'm running now.

My understanding is that core 0.11.1 will reject transactions with high-S signatures.  These won't be created by Trezor, but if you are running a software wallet with Electrum 2.3.2 you may be creating these signatures and may have problems with your transactions.  In my case, I have one copy of Electrum on my Windows 7 machine and a hardware and a software wallet.  I had to upgrade to 2.5.1 and I had to make Trezor work with the upgraded version. 

If you are comfortable installing software on Windows and familiar with the windows command line, environment variables, etc.  it's not too hard to get Electrum to run on Windows from the source code.  The directions are on https://electrum.org/#download.

It's a little more difficult to get Trezor to work from source code, involving installing Python-Trezor and its dependencies. https://github.com/trezor/python-trezor You can run the python-trezor file helloworld.py test program to see if you have communication from python programs to your Trezor.  If you have electrum running without the Trezor and helloworld.py talking to your Trezor then you should be good to go.

October 21, 2015, 05:02:02 AM

legendary
October 20, 2015, 03:24:39 PM
Is there another bug with 2.5.1? Now refusing to sync regardless of server selected.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1023
October 20, 2015, 02:55:09 AM
had the same issue and error
updated to 2.5.1
and all good now !
 Grin
Activity: 1
Merit: 0
October 19, 2015, 01:10:28 PM
Hi Thomas,

Thank you for your work on Electrum, GREAT product!
FYI - in the most current version 2.5.1 it is showing positive for malware using Google's virust website.
The previous version does not show positive.

Thanks,
Howard
October 19, 2015, 05:39:59 AM
What I do not understand is that there is Trezor support in the latest version of Electrum-LTC (version 2.4.3.1) which I believe make use of the same binaries for Trezor.

All versions of Electrum-LTC thus far had support for Trezor without any problems.
Pages:
Jump to: