Pages:
Author

Topic: Electrum desktop wallet question. - page 2. (Read 220 times)

mk4
legendary
Activity: 2716
Merit: 3817
🪸 NotYourKeys.org 🪸
December 22, 2022, 11:40:42 PM
- Use an onscreen keyboard
- Use a separate device for your wallets, where you don't download and install programs frequently
- Only use software wallets for a minority of your funds. For your long-term investments, use a Ledger/Trezor hardware wallet
legendary
Activity: 3402
Merit: 10424
December 22, 2022, 11:39:57 PM
The problem is not with desktop wallets, the problem is with your environment. For example if you are using windows and connect to the internet with it, there is a good chance that it gets infected with some sort of malware/keylogger and when you use a bitcoin wallet you can lose your funds (among other risks).

This is why the term "hot wallet" exists. The solution is to use "cold storage" and only use your hot wallet for small amounts.
Cold storage is basically an air-gap system that has never been connected to the outside world (through the internet or otherwise) and never will connect. You can use a dedicated system (like an old laptop) or use a secondary OS (even live Linux).
Another way is to buy a hardware wallet and make things simple on yourself.

https://electrum.readthedocs.io/en/latest/coldstorage.html
Activity: 11
Merit: 0
December 22, 2022, 11:22:32 PM
I have always been hesitant on desktop wallets because you need to enter the priv key on a keyboard to recover it. How do I know I'm safe and I'm not getting keystroked or my priv key isn't getting exposed?

Is there somewhere I can check on my security settings or am I just being overly paranoid?

I am trying out electrum but I am not 100% sure I can trust a desktop wallet.  Undecided
Pages:
Jump to: