Pages:
Author

Topic: Electrum Lightning Network walkthrough - page 8. (Read 4793 times)

Activity: 9
Merit: 1
July 20, 2020, 07:43:06 PM
I was reading your guide again, and got two doubts, first one:

- Lightning funds cannot be restored from seed. You need to perform backups ('File -> Save backup'). You have to make a new backup every time you open a new channel. Backups will forcefully close channels,

That means that if I backup a new channel, all other channels will be force-closed?

And the second one: if the funding transaction gets confirmed after 24 hours, channel will not be created but funds will be locked/lost? I mean, how does the mempool knows that this transaction is for opening a channel, and that after 24 hours is not going to be valid/useful? Can a transaction auto-remove itself from the mempool after a period of time? I don't know if this is a crazy question...  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 3131
July 20, 2020, 07:12:42 PM
So, now i want to close this channel, but whats the difference between "Close channel" and "Force-close channel"?

You should use "Force-close" only when the other party hasn't been online for some time. As a counter-cheat measure, the closing transaction will be delayed by a week so that the other party has enough time to verify if an old state of the channel was not published. If you use "Close channel" then a cooperative channel closure occurs and the closing transaction is broadcast instantly.
July 20, 2020, 07:05:24 PM
I searched this node on 1ml.com and it only have my channel open, that's why my payments didn't found a path...  Grin Grin Grin

So, now i want to close this channel, but whats the difference between "Close channel" and "Force-close channel"?
legendary
July 20, 2020, 09:04:36 AM
Which other nodes do you recommend?

ACINQ's node should be completely fine. You can use 1ml.com to choose another node. Scroll down a little and you should see "Top Capacity Nodes" and "Most Connected Nodes". Any of the nodes listed there should be a good choice.
July 20, 2020, 07:51:10 AM
-snip-
Yes, I used a suggested node from Electrum, so im asumming that node has enough liquidity... I think i din not make  a mistake following the post above, i read twice before starting, and followed it when i was doing it Electrum... One of the channels I already had in Phoenix has enough inbound capacity...
I'm getting a different error when the receiver's inbound capacity isn't enough, so it can't be the other party's inbound capacity:
https://i.imgur.com/rJNQZAR.png

I second BitCryptex's first guess, "Payment Failed. No path found" is most likely an issue with your channel's remote node's liquidity.
And I've been getting that error in testnet before when I have only one channel, probably because not all of the suggested nodes are reliable.

Yes, im thinking its the remote node problem, i'll try opening another channel with one of ACINQ's node... i'll let you know how that goes... Which other nodes do you recommend? Thanks for your time and answers!
legendary
Activity: 2394
Merit: 5531
Self-proclaimed Genius
July 20, 2020, 12:41:40 AM
-snip-
Yes, I used a suggested node from Electrum, so im asumming that node has enough liquidity... I think i din not make  a mistake following the post above, i read twice before starting, and followed it when i was doing it Electrum... One of the channels I already had in Phoenix has enough inbound capacity...
I'm getting a different error when the receiver's inbound capacity isn't enough, so it can't be the other party's inbound capacity:

I second BitCryptex's first guess, "Payment Failed. No path found" is most likely an issue with your channel's remote node's liquidity.
And I've been getting that error in testnet before when I have only one channel, probably because not all of the suggested nodes are reliable.
July 19, 2020, 07:14:54 PM
Hello, i have enable Lightning on Electrum following your steps, channel is Open, but i cant send using Lightning, i have tried sending to 3 different wallets (BLW, Phoenix and Wallet of  Satoshi) and all 3 give me the "Payment Failed. No path found" error. What could it be? How can I solve this issue?

Maybe you have change amount/base unit btc into sat at preference.

I'll switch to sats and let you know if it was that silly detail...  Cheesy
July 19, 2020, 06:59:33 PM
i have tried sending to 3 different wallets (BLW, Phoenix and Wallet of  Satoshi) and all 3 give me the "Payment Failed. No path found" error. What could it be? How can I solve this issue?

Either the node with which you opened a channel is badly connected or there aren't any nodes with enough liquidity to route your payment. You might have made a mistake from the post above. If you didn't specify the node manually when opening the channel then Electrum should have suggested a well-connected node. I am not sure about BlueWallet and Wallet of Satoshi since they are custodial wallets, but channels created using the Phoenix wallet definitely do not have any inbound capacity by default. You will have to spend some of your coins before attempting to receive to it. That's also the case for Eclair Mobile.

Yes, I used a suggested node from Electrum, so im asumming that node has enough liquidity... I think i din not make  a mistake following the post above, i read twice before starting, and followed it when i was doing it Electrum... One of the channels I already had in Phoenix has enough inbound capacity...
legendary
July 19, 2020, 10:48:31 AM
i have tried sending to 3 different wallets (BLW, Phoenix and Wallet of  Satoshi) and all 3 give me the "Payment Failed. No path found" error. What could it be? How can I solve this issue?

Either the node with which you opened a channel is badly connected or there aren't any nodes with enough liquidity to route your payment. You might have made a mistake from the post above. If you didn't specify the node manually when opening the channel then Electrum should have suggested a well-connected node. I am not sure about BlueWallet and Wallet of Satoshi since they are custodial wallets, but channels created using the Phoenix wallet definitely do not have any inbound capacity by default. You will have to spend some of your coins before attempting to receive to it. That's also the case for Eclair Mobile.
legendary
Activity: 2366
Merit: 2054
July 19, 2020, 10:16:16 AM
Hello, i have enable Lightning on Electrum following your steps, channel is Open, but i cant send using Lightning, i have tried sending to 3 different wallets (BLW, Phoenix and Wallet of  Satoshi) and all 3 give me the "Payment Failed. No path found" error. What could it be? How can I solve this issue?

Maybe you have change amount/base unit btc into sat at preference.

July 19, 2020, 09:45:52 AM
Hello, i have enable Lightning on Electrum following your steps, channel is Open, but i cant send using Lightning, i have tried sending to 3 different wallets (BLW, Phoenix and Wallet of  Satoshi) and all 3 give me the "Payment Failed. No path found" error. What could it be? How can I solve this issue?
legendary
Activity: 2394
Merit: 5531
Self-proclaimed Genius
July 07, 2020, 08:07:39 AM
Does "- a P2WPKH wallet is required; this type of wallet is now the default for standard wallets" or "- P2WPKH addresses are required; this kind of addresses are now the default for standard wallets" sound better? Either should be more understandable for most people.
The former sounds right, the latter suggests that a wallet with imported P2WPKH addresses can be used for LN.

Tried it and the "enable" button is disabled for imported wallet with a single native SegWit address.
But it might change in the future because of this message when I clicked help:
Quote from: Electrum 4.0.1
Lightning is currently restricted to HD wallets with p2wpkh addresses.
legendary
July 07, 2020, 05:46:50 AM
Does "- a P2WPKH wallet is required; this type of wallet is now the default for standard wallets" or "- P2WPKH addresses are required; this kind of addresses are now the default for standard wallets" sound better? Either should be more understandable for most people.

So I don't know if it really make sense to warn about this up-front, users will find out.

SegWit has been the default wallet kind for some time now, but I wanted to mention it in case someone tried to send some coins to an old legacy wallet to test out the LN support. Transaction fees are relatively low right now, but they tend to change rapidly. It could help someone save some money on the fees and there is no harm in mentioning it.

just replace "go to 'Send'" with "go to 'Receive'"

Thanks, fixed.
legendary
Activity: 1820
Merit: 1972
Crypto Swap Exchange
July 07, 2020, 01:05:25 AM
He claims that not all bc1 wallets will work with the Lightning Network.
Only P2WPKH wallets will work, i.e. multi-sig.
2FA and other P2WSHs will not work.
You made a little typo here, but it changed what I said  Wink.

Here's the corrected text:
Only P2WPKH wallets will work. It means that bc1 multi-sig, 2FA and other P2WSHs will not work.
legendary
Activity: 3444
Merit: 10537
July 07, 2020, 12:17:17 AM
a native SegWit wallet is required (your addresses should start with bc1)

for reference: https://github.com/spesmilo/electrum/blob/01a2d127878642c8bcb123e5e7f3de744aeb071c/electrum/wallet.py#L314-L316

by the way P2WPKH is a simple single signature script similar to P2PKH (addresses starting with 1) and has nothing to do with multi-sig. similarly P2WSH is simply a pay to "script hash" scripts which can be multi-sig or any other script.
Activity: 23
Merit: 0
July 06, 2020, 03:30:17 PM
Nice tutorial.

Just a typo: When you say "To create an invoice, go to 'Send', fill out 'Description' and 'Requested amount', optionally change when the invoice should expire and press 'Lightning'."

just replace "go to 'Send'" with "go to 'Receive'"
Activity: 408
Merit: 250
July 06, 2020, 02:06:24 PM
Channels time out if the funding transaction is not confirmed within 24 hours so you can leave it be. I am not sure how a force-close would behave in this situation. Theoretically, it shouldn't have any impact on your wallet since you didn't sign the funding transaction.

At the moment, the channel status remains unchanged as "reestablishing" so I tried to force close (it warned me it'd take up to 600 blocks to get funds back) but it ultimately failed as it threw this error:

https://imgur.com/a/1HghOwk

It seems as if unsigned Txs have a longer time lock than signed Txs so I guess I shouldn't have to wait longer than 600 blocks to report back my findings.
Activity: 10
Merit: 3
July 06, 2020, 12:46:07 PM

Using P2WPKH does not imply you are using multi-sig, your 'i.e.' is wrong.

Funds spent to bc1 addresses can either be P2WPKH or P2WSH. The length would determine which of these it is.

I think Electrum will not allow you to enable Lightning if you have the wrong wallet type. So I don't know if it really make sense to warn about this up-front, users will find out.
legendary
July 05, 2020, 01:53:43 PM
Is it better to let it expire by itself or force close? Not sure how long it'd take if left alone.

Channels time out if the funding transaction is not confirmed within 24 hours so you can leave it be. I am not sure how a force-close would behave in this situation. Theoretically, it shouldn't have any impact on your wallet since you didn't sign the funding transaction.
Activity: 408
Merit: 250
July 05, 2020, 01:31:15 PM
Thanks. I just discovered I didn't get to sign/broadcast the transaction (but I'm not interested anymore in proceeding with it either).

Is it better to let it expire by itself or force close? Not sure how long it'd take if left alone.
Pages:
Jump to: