Pages:
Author

Topic: Electrum lite GUI - page 2. (Read 4566 times)

legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1016
July 05, 2012, 02:11:14 PM
About the paths to resources... ("background.png", "style.css" and the icons folder):

I think it's not ideal yet. Right now, on Windows, gui_lite appears to be looking for them in %AppData%\Electrum  (which, until now, only ever contained the wallet file).

I'm afraid this will cause a problem when I make my portable builds (the ones that can be run off a USB stick).

If that's no issue to you, please could you consider changing that path to a subfolder (for instance "lite_data") in what I call the "Electrum root directory" - you know, where directories "ecdsa", "lib", "aes", etc are located?

I think it could be more robust and consistent that way. What do you think?

legendary
Activity: 1014
Merit: 1001
July 05, 2012, 01:01:10 PM
Bitcats is becoming one of Electrum's biggest sponsors! Smiley
Thanks  Roll Eyes
Not as much as you guys deserve. Great job - respectable!
legendary
July 05, 2012, 12:55:48 PM
Yeah, much better, good job!

Thanks for the latest commits. There's still some "ugly flashing" at startup though (noticeable at least on my slow netbook)

I just fixed that if you see my last commit. Does it still show for you?

bitcats: nice, tyty Smiley that made me really happy.

Yes, my previous post was with the latest commit.
There's less flashing than before the commit, but there's still something unfortunately.
Anyway, I think it can only be noticed on slower computers, so probably not too urgent
to fix. I might even try to take a shot at it later.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1076
July 05, 2012, 12:38:08 PM

Thanks for the latest commits. There's still some "ugly flashing" at startup though (noticeable at least on my slow netbook)

I just fixed that if you see my last commit. Does it still show for you?

bitcats: nice, tyty Smiley that made me really happy.
legendary
July 05, 2012, 12:36:51 PM
Sent you some bacon 1LDjY9  Smiley

Bitcats is becoming one of Electrum's biggest sponsors! Smiley
legendary
July 05, 2012, 12:36:16 PM

legendary
July 05, 2012, 12:22:30 PM
That looks better  Smiley
legendary
July 05, 2012, 12:12:40 PM
How about this?

flatfly, fixed.
legendary
July 05, 2012, 12:08:36 PM
Sent you some bacon 1LDjY9  Smiley
legendary
July 05, 2012, 10:00:38 AM
The problem with moving the balance:

- Click the label
- Type stuff inside the amount field

See what happens. You lose that functionality with it in the titlebar.

Actually, I didn't mean to move the balance to the title bar,
but to only show the BTC value (not the EUR) in the title bar, because
it is not wide enough to contain both the BTC value and another currency.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Let me know if my explanation is still confusing.
legendary
July 05, 2012, 09:48:50 AM
The problem with moving the balance:

- Click the label
- Type stuff inside the amount field

See what happens. You lose that functionality with it in the titlebar.
legendary
July 05, 2012, 05:58:51 AM

I dont like that large Copy button, the GUI looks crammed.

Also, how about only showing the BTC balance in the title bar?
The EUR value doesn't show anyway due to the small width of the window (see screenshot)
Thats right
legendary
July 05, 2012, 05:27:57 AM
Interesting. I guess 2. is a problem then.

A tooltip might not be immediately obvious. I changed it to "Copy My Address" but that seems a bit wordy. Try it out and tell me what you think.

I'm thinking maybe a small popup should appear over the button with the address and some text saying "Your bitcoin address for receiving funds has been copied to your clipboard!". I'm wondering if a minimal/small popup that closes by itself might still be sacrificing usability and quickness by increasing the number of clicks. But certainly now there isn't enough "feedback" as to the action that's just happened.

I'm glad the SSL thing isn't a bother. Saves me a tiny bit of effort Smiley

To me the meaning of that button does look clearer / more intuitive now.  Thanks!
(Of course, that's just my opinion)

Also, how about only showing the BTC balance in the title bar?
The EUR value doesn't show anyway due to the small width of the window (see screenshot)

legendary
July 04, 2012, 08:01:20 PM
Code:
[deafboy@Planetexpress ~]$ sudo pip install http://ecdsa.org/electrum/Electrum-0.61.tar.gz#md5=9b87fd3fa4c4dae5efa896e9b0d6d51c
[sudo] password for deafboy:
Downloading/unpacking http://ecdsa.org/electrum/Electrum-0.61.tar.gz#md5=9b87fd3fa4c4dae5efa896e9b0d6d51c
  Downloading Electrum-0.61.tar.gz (227Kb): 227Kb downloaded
  Running setup.py egg_info for package from http://ecdsa.org/electrum/Electrum-0.61.tar.gz#md5=9b87fd3fa4c4dae5efa896e9b0d6d51c

Requirement already satisfied (use --upgrade to upgrade): slowaes in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages (from Electrum==0.61)
Requirement already satisfied (use --upgrade to upgrade): ecdsa in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages (from Electrum==0.61)
Installing collected packages: Electrum
  Found existing installation: Electrum 0.60
    Uninstalling Electrum:
      Successfully uninstalled Electrum
  Running setup.py install for Electrum
    changing mode of build/scripts-2.7/electrum from 644 to 755

changing mode of /usr/local/bin/electrum to 755
Successfully installed Electrum
Cleaning up...
[deafboy@Planetexpress ~]$ electrum
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/electrum", line 143, in
    import electrum.gui_lite as gui
ImportError: No module named gui_lite
[deafboy@Planetexpress ~]$

OK this should be fixed now if you wanna test.
legendary
July 04, 2012, 07:19:15 PM
Interesting. I guess 2. is a problem then.

A tooltip might not be immediately obvious. I changed it to "Copy My Address" but that seems a bit wordy. Try it out and tell me what you think.

I'm thinking maybe a small popup should appear over the button with the address and some text saying "Your bitcoin address for receiving funds has been copied to your clipboard!". I'm wondering if a minimal/small popup that closes by itself might still be sacrificing usability and quickness by increasing the number of clicks. But certainly now there isn't enough "feedback" as to the action that's just happened.

I'm glad the SSL thing isn't a bother. Saves me a tiny bit of effort Smiley
legendary
July 04, 2012, 05:56:07 AM
Nice job, genjix!

Here's some quick feedback from me (as a Win XP user):

- I like the size of this GUI. Very nice for casual/mainstream users.

I do have a couple of bug reports & suggestions:

1. Not sure if this is a Windows-only problem, but when launching Electrum for the 1st time after a cold boot, the balance in the lite GUI stays stuck on 0
     (not on subsequent runs, though.)

2. The Copy Address button seems to copy a random address if clicked right after launching the app
     Do we really need that button anyway? IMHO, it's taking valuable space and doesn't seem that useful to me.

3. Is it critical to use HTTPS to get the exchange rate? The reason I'm asking is that the resulting Windows
    stand-alone executable would get significantly bigger if I have to include ssl.py and its dependencies.
    It would be around 7+ MB rather than 5.9MB without it. This kind of thing could matter when targeting
    the Windows audience.

4. Hopefully the theme/icons/colors are not final as they could be a lot more polished IMHO.

1. yeah I noticed this. Will have to fix it. (edit: fixed this)
2. But then how will you get your receiving address?
3. I see. Let me investigate this. Thanks for letting me know.
4. Software always looks pretty crude initially. We'll have to fine-tune it as we go along. Perfection is a journey. But I definitely want to have it be eye-candy.

1. Thanks!

2. OK, it wasn't immediately clear to me that the "Copy Address" button was copying
one of the user's *receive addresses* to the clipboard. (Should've read your OP more
carefully!) Perhaps I was misled because the only other reference to the word "address" in the GUI is very near that button, in the input field for *destination* address. Perhaps the button should be renamed to something clearer (such as "Copy My Address" but that might be too long), or have a little  explanation in a tooltip, or provide some feedback after it has been clicked?

3. I've tested an alternate (7z-based) compression method in the meantime, which will
only add 150K or so to the download size, so I guess this is not really an issue anymore
(Although I wish the PyQt libraries were not as big, as they currently account for about 85% of the Electrum executable size on Windows, but that's another story...)

4. OK, great!
Activity: 482
Merit: 502
July 03, 2012, 03:44:57 PM
Code:
[deafboy@Planetexpress ~]$ sudo pip install http://ecdsa.org/electrum/Electrum-0.61.tar.gz#md5=9b87fd3fa4c4dae5efa896e9b0d6d51c
[sudo] password for deafboy:
Downloading/unpacking http://ecdsa.org/electrum/Electrum-0.61.tar.gz#md5=9b87fd3fa4c4dae5efa896e9b0d6d51c
  Downloading Electrum-0.61.tar.gz (227Kb): 227Kb downloaded
  Running setup.py egg_info for package from http://ecdsa.org/electrum/Electrum-0.61.tar.gz#md5=9b87fd3fa4c4dae5efa896e9b0d6d51c

Requirement already satisfied (use --upgrade to upgrade): slowaes in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages (from Electrum==0.61)
Requirement already satisfied (use --upgrade to upgrade): ecdsa in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages (from Electrum==0.61)
Installing collected packages: Electrum
  Found existing installation: Electrum 0.60
    Uninstalling Electrum:
      Successfully uninstalled Electrum
  Running setup.py install for Electrum
    changing mode of build/scripts-2.7/electrum from 644 to 755

changing mode of /usr/local/bin/electrum to 755
Successfully installed Electrum
Cleaning up...
[deafboy@Planetexpress ~]$ electrum
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/electrum", line 143, in
    import electrum.gui_lite as gui
ImportError: No module named gui_lite
[deafboy@Planetexpress ~]$
legendary
July 03, 2012, 03:40:19 PM
Nice job, genjix!

Here's some quick feedback from me (as a Win XP user):

- I like the size of this GUI. Very nice for casual/mainstream users.

I do have a couple of bug reports & suggestions:

1. Not sure if this is a Windows-only problem, but when launching Electrum for the 1st time after a cold boot, the balance in the lite GUI stays stuck on 0
     (not on subsequent runs, though.)

2. The Copy Address button seems to copy a random address if clicked right after launching the app
     Do we really need that button anyway? IMHO, it's taking valuable space and doesn't seem that useful to me.

3. Is it critical to use HTTPS to get the exchange rate? The reason I'm asking is that the resulting Windows
    stand-alone executable would get significantly bigger if I have to include ssl.py and its dependencies.
    It would be around 7+ MB rather than 5.9MB without it. This kind of thing could matter when targeting
    the Windows audience.

4. Hopefully the theme/icons/colors are not final as they could be a lot more polished IMHO.

1. yeah I noticed this. Will have to fix it. (edit: fixed this)
2. But then how will you get your receiving address?
3. I see. Let me investigate this. Thanks for letting me know.
4. Software always looks pretty crude initially. We'll have to fine-tune it as we go along. Perfection is a journey. But I definitely want to have it be eye-candy.
legendary
July 03, 2012, 03:34:44 PM
Great job! Donation (Bacon) will come ;-)

How can i import an address in the lite Client?

Thanks Smiley 1LDjY9hJs7eFaL8z9vGVXD2spDEPb5oeX3

You cannot import an address. You must do it in expert mode by clicking the bottom left arrow.
legendary
July 03, 2012, 12:29:02 PM
Great job! Donation (Bacon) will come ;-)

How can i import an address in the lite Client?
Pages:
Jump to: