Pages:
Author

Topic: Electrum not opening, lost seed. Help needed ***Reward*** - page 2. (Read 7838 times)

Activity: 47
Merit: 0
If you don't have another wallet file in that folder then the only option is to look at backups. Do you have backups? Another thing you can try is Windows system restore to restore to an earlier time.

No I don't have a backup, I'll try a system restore. Thanks

Tried the sytsem restore, still not working. Any other ideas anyone?
If you don't have another wallet file in that folder then the only option is to look at backups. Do you have backups? Another thing you can try is Windows system restore to restore to an earlier time.

No I don't have a backup, I'll try a system restore. Thanks
legendary
Activity: 3640
Merit: 1571
I've now moved back all the files that were in the electrum folder originally which consists of a cert folder (no changes were made to this folder), wallets folder containing default_wallet file and the blockchain headers and config files.
Activity: 475
Merit: 252
I've created a version of 1.9.8 for you that includes a debug window. Please make a screenshot of any potential error messages you find there.

Download Electrum 1.9.8-dev and the signature.

Now before you open it please go to the official Electrum site verify https is enabled and the domain is correct. Then look for my pgp key (Maran Hidskes) there and verify the signature. Here is a step-by-step guide for doing that on windows.

Only after completing these steps run the app and give me the information it gives you.

This is a printscreen of what came up - http://postimg.org/image/4ys7re7fp/. Thanks
I agree with Abdu.

Please tell us every file and folder that exists in your x:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Electrum folder (where x is your system drive and is your windows username)

Then also tell us every file that exists in the "wallets" folder within the above folder.

If you can, maybe take a screenshot, we can see what you are dealing with.

This doesn't look too good... but if you have another wallet file or copy of the file... perhaps it's there...?
I've created a version of 1.9.8 for you that includes a debug window. Please make a screenshot of any potential error messages you find there.

Now before you open it please go to the official Electrum site verify https is enabled and the domain is correct. Then look for my pgp key (Maran Hidskes) there and verify the signature. Here is a step-by-step guide for doing that on windows.

Only after completing these steps run the app and give me the information it gives you.

This is a printscreen of what came up - http://postimg.org/image/4ys7re7fp/. Thanks
legendary
What other files have you got in the electrum folder? Give us a list of files and folders or post a screenshot. For the record electrum folder is \Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Local\Electrum

Also do you have a copy of that folder or your wallet backed up somewhere?
1. Copy the default_wallet file to a safe place while you do this, just in case you mess something up.

2. Open default_wallet with Wordpad. (Not Notepad)

3. Search for the word "seed" and tell me if you see something like this:

Code:
'seed': 'hGt+sQGFlt7Dhgb3a1kHetNJmlxrMQrZ3D8mheYgVr79ZEGOZK1btAzv44QMwGQ2K+1a/1ct10abxrX56OtvFA==',

If you see this, then your bitcoins are safe. This is your seed encrypted using AES with your password.

Tell me if you found this. I can help you recover your bitcoins if you have this.

Nothing appears, just an empty document. Take it the btc are not recoverable?
Activity: 475
Merit: 252
1. Copy the default_wallet file to a safe place while you do this, just in case you mess something up.

2. Open default_wallet with Wordpad. (Not Notepad)

3. Search for the word "seed" and tell me if you see something like this:

Code:
'seed': 'hGt+sQGFlt7Dhgb3a1kHetNJmlxrMQrZ3D8mheYgVr79ZEGOZK1btAzv44QMwGQ2K+1a/1ct10abxrX56OtvFA==',

If you see this, then your bitcoins are safe. This is your seed encrypted using AES with your password.

Tell me if you found this. I can help you recover your bitcoins if you have this.
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

I've tried a couple of methods detailed in some other threads but in case I did them incorrectly I'd like to proceed as if I haven't.

How about telling us what you've tried so we don't waste time repeating ourselves? It's very hard to mess up finding a folder and deleting one file in it.

Sure, I copied the default_wallet file to another computer and tried to open with electrum on that machine. I also deleted the config file but that had no effect. Thanks for the response so far.
Do you have a second machine?  Copy the wallet.dat file to that machine and try opening it.

Would that be the default_wallet file? If so I've tried that and the other electrum (on another machine) didn't seem to recognize that file as when I clicked file-open nothing happened.
legendary
I've tried a couple of methods detailed in some other threads but in case I did them incorrectly I'd like to proceed as if I haven't.

How about telling us what you've tried so we don't waste time repeating ourselves? It's very hard to mess up finding a folder and deleting one file in it.
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1008
Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political
Do you have a second machine?  Copy the wallet.dat file to that machine and try opening it.
OS is Windows 7 Professional if that helps.
Hi
As of today Electrum 1.9.8 isn't opening, after the icon is clicked it looks like it's going to open but nothing happens. Also it doesn't show up in Windows Task Manager. I've tried a couple of methods detailed in some other threads but in case I did them incorrectly I'd like to proceed as if I haven't. I've lost the seed but know the password, and if anyone's help proves successful I'd be happy to give them 1 btc or so.

Thanks
Pages:
Jump to: