Pages:
Author

Topic: Electrum - State of the Alloy - page 4. (Read 15770 times)

legendary
Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353
January 24, 2014, 11:22:55 AM
Great to hear that you are working on Electrum fulltime now ThomasV !

As I expect you know, Gary and I are working on an HD compatible version of MultiBit.
Mike is refactoring bitcoinj to add in HD support.

The code is closed alpha at the moment (we will open it once it goes into beta but we are still tinkering at the moment).

I think it would be a good idea if we made sure the HD wallets in Electrum 2.0 and MultiBit HD work seamlessly together. When we get it all working in MultiBit HD would you like to be part of our beta testing ?
And conversely we would also like early access to your code to see if everything hooks up together properly.

Were you planning to support Trezor too ?
If so then we can probably do the same approach there.

Once wallets get created and regular users start putting bitcoin on them it starts getting expensive time and effort wise to rework things. I think it is worth us coordinating to bash our code as thoroughly as possible before it goes out on general release.

Let me know if you'd like to and we can give you access to our repo.

Cheers,

Jim

Thank you, Jim! Is there anything in your code that is not specified in BIP32/BIP39?

As you might know, I postponed BIP32 support in Electrum because we had discussions on the developer's mailing list regarding BIP39, and we could not reach an agreement.
I think the latest BIP39 proposal is much more reasonable, because it does not impose a dictionary.

An important requirement for Electrum is that wallets must be fully recoverable from seed, and with no other knowledge than the seed. This special requirement imposes some constraints on address generation (users cannot generate arbitrary addresses, the wallet creates new addresses when already created addresses are used). The same type of constraint will exist for accounts in a HD wallet with multiple accounts.

Since other wallets do not have that requirement, these constraints are not part of BIP32.
They are, however, important for Electrum wallets.
Activity: 160
Merit: 100
January 24, 2014, 08:07:42 AM
This company project is now officially supported by the incubator of the french region Lorraine (http://incubateurlorrain.org/ ); we signed the contract yesterday.

May you become the Red Hat of bitcoin wallets.

v2 sounds brilliant. Well done.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066
January 24, 2014, 07:25:50 AM
Great to hear that you are working on Electrum fulltime now ThomasV !

As I expect you know, Gary and I are working on an HD compatible version of MultiBit.
Mike is refactoring bitcoinj to add in HD support.

The code is closed alpha at the moment (we will open it once it goes into beta but we are still tinkering at the moment).

I think it would be a good idea if we made sure the HD wallets in Electrum 2.0 and MultiBit HD work seamlessly together. When we get it all working in MultiBit HD would you like to be part of our beta testing ?
And conversely we would also like early access to your code to see if everything hooks up together properly.

Were you planning to support Trezor too ?
If so then we can probably do the same approach there.

Once wallets get created and regular users start putting bitcoin on them it starts getting expensive time and effort wise to rework things. I think it is worth us coordinating to bash our code as thoroughly as possible before it goes out on general release.

Let me know if you'd like to and we can give you access to our repo.

Cheers,

Jim
Activity: 193
Merit: 100
January 24, 2014, 03:59:16 AM
Oh !!!

Didn't know that electrum was a french Product Smiley
Did you plan to use Qt5 Qml for next version ?

And if you plan in the future to hire a developper i'm the author of BitPurse, a little client for the Maemo / MeeGo (mobile linux) plateform (python / qml) Smiley

Good luck !
Activity: 614
Merit: 500
January 23, 2014, 08:27:50 PM
Will 2.0 make it to the Debian 8 stable repo?
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564
January 23, 2014, 07:17:46 PM
Nice!

Also 2.0 has a lot of features. About 3, that sounds a lot like http keepalive for electrum.
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
January 23, 2014, 12:27:38 PM
Support for alt coins would be appreciated. Smiley
copper member
Activity: 3892
Merit: 2197
Verified awesomeness ✔
January 23, 2014, 12:24:44 PM
A convention in Amsterdam? About Bitcoin? When, where and how can I join?
Sorry for asking this off-topic question. But I don't want to miss another Netherlands-based convention.
http://www.bitcoin2014.com/
I must go! Thanks for the link dude Wink I will now stop posting off-topic stuff.
legendary
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1072
Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer
January 23, 2014, 11:57:19 AM
I was told by another forum member that Electrum supports offline signing of tx's via QR codes - can you confirm that?

If this is true then would you also consider the idea of signing an arbitrary small message with a Bitcoin signature (which could be used to "login" to a website entirely via QR)?
legendary
January 23, 2014, 11:51:53 AM
Sorry for asking this off-topic question. But I don't want to miss another Netherlands-based convention.
http://www.bitcoin2014.com/
copper member
Verified awesomeness ✔
January 23, 2014, 11:24:59 AM
legendary
January 23, 2014, 10:50:21 AM
Congratulations, Thomas!

Will you also be at the Foundation-organised conference in May? I will be visiting Berlin at the end of Feb but I think that's not the right time for any Bitcoin conference there.

thanks!
this is the conference I was talking about: http://insidebitcoins.de/
I did not know about Amsterdam, but I will try to go there as well.
copper member
Verified awesomeness ✔
January 23, 2014, 07:57:14 AM
By the way, do you intent to keep Electrum free or are you going to charge something for it / do you intent on creation a "Pro" version? Just wondering Wink
I intend to keep it free. The company will sell extra services, it will not sell the software.
Sounds good. I hope you earn a fair buck from this Wink
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129
January 23, 2014, 06:20:12 AM
Congratulations, Thomas!

Will you also be at the Foundation-organised conference in May? I will be visiting Berlin at the end of Feb but I think that's not the right time for any Bitcoin conference there.
legendary
January 23, 2014, 04:50:26 AM
By the way, do you intent to keep Electrum free or are you going to charge something for it / do you intent on creation a "Pro" version? Just wondering Wink
I intend to keep it free. The company will sell extra services, it will not sell the software.
copper member
Verified awesomeness ✔
January 23, 2014, 02:48:56 AM
thanks! Just a clarification:
Electrum will always remain open source.
I would never trust a closed source bitcoin client, and you should not.
That is good to hear. Open sourcing your software isn't a bad thing at all (except when people fork your stuff and people come to me to complain about the forked code, because it's outdated and non-functional). It's a great way for people to see how it works and it's great for you, because people can help you find and fix bugs.

Once again, good luck!
legendary
January 22, 2014, 07:02:38 PM
thanks! Just a clarification:
Electrum will always remain open source.
I would never trust a closed source bitcoin client, and you should not.
copper member
Verified awesomeness ✔
January 22, 2014, 05:15:41 PM
That sounds great dude! I wish you all the luck in the world Wink
Activity: 715
Merit: 500
Bitcoin Venezuela
January 22, 2014, 05:12:15 PM
Great news Thomas! Go Electrum!
legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1011
January 22, 2014, 04:27:10 PM
Congratulations. This is awesome, seriously.
Pages:
Jump to: