Pages:
Author

Topic: Eliminating the one-line "subscribe" posts. - page 2. (Read 4343 times)

legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127
Yeah notifications are worthless, I'm not gonna check my email to see if there are replies to threads I like to read. Needs to be a subscribe button next to the notify button, that will add it to a watchlist below the other two.
legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
What's a GPU?
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015
What people could do is click notify, and then filter out all the email notifications to /dev/null.

Maybe I misunderstood, I guess "notify" still doesn't get the topic to show up on the watch-list?
Right - it just spams your email account.
donator
Activity: 289
Merit: 250
What people could do is click notify, and then filter out all the email notifications to /dev/null.

Maybe I misunderstood, I guess "notify" still doesn't get the topic to show up on the watch-list?
Activity: 812

nope, that does not help you subscribe without posting 'subbed'.

You had said: "writing 'subbed' doesn't subscribe you to emails."
I said, But it can, if you tweak your options.

That is, after that, writing sub *does* subscribe you to emails.

In case we are confused, let's repeat: "Posting sub subscribes you to emails, and I showed you how."

So, I don't understand your new objection: "that does not help you subscribe without posting 'subbed'."

Wink

okay mis-understanding... what people posting 'subbed' really want to achieve, is being notified of new replies without getting emails.

you can't do that any other way.

i'm skeptical... can you tell me which checkbox exactly achieves this?

"Turn notification on when you post or reply to a topic."

nope, that does not help you subscribe without posting 'subbed'.
administrator
Activity: 5222
Merit: 13032
Theymos, OTOH, to quote Blazr, "It should only take a few minutes to make "notified" threads appear in "Show new replies to your posts""

He's welcome to write the code, then.

You also need to be able to remove topics from unreadreplies for it to be usable as a watchlist.
administrator
Activity: 5222
Merit: 13032
Those are annoying. I've looked into creating a "watchlist" feature in SMF, but it seems very difficult (which is probably why there are no modifications that do that already).
Activity: 882
Merit: 1005
Sub.

Tongue

This is something we need. It should only take a few minutes to make "notified" threads appear in "Show new replies to your posts"

but notify also send you emails.

writing 'subbed' doesn't subscribe you to emails.

The latter is an option. Just tweak your userprefs if you desire that.

i'm skeptical... can you tell me which checkbox exactly achieves this?
legendary
Activity: 1112
Also, is it REALLY that hard to scroll past the "Subbed" comments?  It takes a fraction of a second, really...

As somebody who reads the forum using the RSS feed, it's really annoying to see a notification there are new messages and a bunch of them are "I'm too lazy to press the notify button"

I consider those messages polution that makes the forum less readable
legendary
Activity: 1400

Also, is it REALLY that hard to scroll past the "Subbed" comments?  It takes a fraction of a second, really...

The 'sub' band-aid doesn't scale. The forum is growing.

Ok, I agree.  It would be nice to be able to subscribe to threads without writing in them.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Subbed.

legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010
Ya, since work has not yet begun on this forum software's successor,  I too would like to see a couple of the most painful issues resolved in the software currently used.

- https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/looking-for-someone-to-createmodify-software-for-this-forum-5500-btc-50617
It seems that people use these "subscribe" one-liners rather than click notify because threads flagged via the latter mechanism don't show up under "Show new replies to your post."

There should be a rather simple solution to this: Simply that threads marked as 'notify' begin showing up under 'show new replies' as well. (the label for which could then be changed to the more inclusive "Show notified posts.")

but notify also send you emails.

writing 'subbed' doesn't subscribe you to emails.
donator
Activity: 29
Merit: 252
Pages:
Jump to: