Pages:
Author

Topic: Elon Musk - page 2. (Read 1079 times)

legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1048
March 28, 2017, 12:39:53 PM
Elon Musk has announced the recruitment of scientific staff in implementing another of his ideas. He wants to implant people with brain electrodes for data exchange and computer control. What do you think about this?

Haven't read about this, but this doesn't sound feasible. While there has been some progress in the area, particularly with locked in patients and communication, actual implantation seems at least a decade away, given the red tape you have to wade to even conduct this research. Would be pretty cool, but this is a lot of R and D money that could be better spent at Tesla, or SolarCity. And I feel it would take a few years for software to catch up with a direct human communication paradigm.
And how "smart" prostheses, which are controlled by thoughts? The same already for a long time. Why do you think that it is impossible to manage the computer. I believe that this is possible. Another thing is that I would not interfere in the activities of your brain. If something goes wrong?

There has been progress in this field now for a few years. I was just thinking about the prostheses that are controlled by your thoughts and also send touch sensations back into your brain. We have already figured out how to make this work.

I think this is a great idea. I would be into having the first chip installed. I just need it to be removable and upgrade able.

I agree we have the technology, to an extent; I'm just saying the research so far has been to specific medical ends. To do this, for industry or consumer technology, that's a different sell. This would pretty much have to be privately funded research.

I think this is a great idea. I would be into having the first chip installed. I just need it to be removable and upgrade able.

Give me three generations. They should have worked the bugs out by then, and I read entirely too much science fiction growing up to become a 'chip zombie' if someone fucks it all up, LOL.

If PlayStation needs three generations, actually, let me get 10.
Activity: 119
Merit: 100
Horror Movie Phreak
March 28, 2017, 11:07:54 AM
Elon Musk has announced the recruitment of scientific staff in implementing another of his ideas. He wants to implant people with brain electrodes for data exchange and computer control. What do you think about this?

Haven't read about this, but this doesn't sound feasible. While there has been some progress in the area, particularly with locked in patients and communication, actual implantation seems at least a decade away, given the red tape you have to wade to even conduct this research. Would be pretty cool, but this is a lot of R and D money that could be better spent at Tesla, or SolarCity. And I feel it would take a few years for software to catch up with a direct human communication paradigm.
And how "smart" prostheses, which are controlled by thoughts? The same already for a long time. Why do you think that it is impossible to manage the computer. I believe that this is possible. Another thing is that I would not interfere in the activities of your brain. If something goes wrong?

There has been progress in this field now for a few years. I was just thinking about the prostheses that are controlled by your thoughts and also send touch sensations back into your brain. We have already figured out how to make this work.

Activity: 55
Merit: 0
March 28, 2017, 10:35:33 AM

legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1048
March 28, 2017, 10:20:52 AM

Activity: 84
Merit: 10
March 28, 2017, 08:28:52 AM
Pages:
Jump to: