Pages:
Author

Topic: Email address when making reports - page 2. (Read 499 times)

legendary
Activity: 2016
Merit: 2169
Professional Community manager
May 21, 2022, 12:09:00 PM
I personally cannot think of a particular reason why a user's email address needs to be revealed when they create reports, it doesn't affect or influence the outcome of the reports and does not provide any relevant information for the mods.

It's however safe to assume that once you register on the forum, your details are visible to certain members of the moderating and administration team, so acting accordingly and choosing what address to use use important.
legendary
Activity: 3220
Merit: 5628
Blackjack.fun-Free Raffle-Join&Win $50🎲
May 21, 2022, 10:37:33 AM
I can't see the user's email whether it is in reports or in their profile. I'm not sure about global mods though, it might be different for them.

I can't find that post, but I'm pretty sure @hilariousandco has confirmed that he doesn't see the email addresses of users who have reported a post. I’m not sure when he became a global mod, but back in 2014 he was at least a mod or part of the staff when he wrote the following :

Only certain mods can see it - I can't for instance - but I agree that if it doesn't need to be there then it should be removed.
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1284
May 21, 2022, 10:33:37 AM
It is best to assume that global moderators have access to your email, and that admins has the authority to know your email even if you do not make a report.

if you read privacy page you will find that email Retention is Indefinite

Use a new email account, an email forwarding service, or similar. Do not use a "disposable" email account, as email resets to publicly-accessible disposable emails is a common cause of accounts getting stolen. It is also currently possible to use a fake email like [email protected], and we may allow signing up without an email address in the future. However, if your account has never had a valid email address, then it will be extremely difficult to recover the account if it is ever stolen.

https://bitcointalk.org/privacy.php
Activity: 2590
Merit: 650
Want top-notch marketing for your project, Hire me
May 21, 2022, 09:08:31 AM
Technically, the email should be revealed to the forum global moderators since they are like the eyes and second in command after the Administrators.

Is there a way to put it off that the moderator wouldn't see your email address, for people who do not want their email address revealed
No, there's no way to put turn it off because that's how the "Report to moderator" functions but I believe it is used to track the number of reports made by each user.

OR can moderators see your email address even without you making a report, or is it only the admin that has that power?
It's only the Admin that has the power to see every user's email but the duty of the moderator is to attend to the issue member reported.
Activity: 826
Merit: 1010
Only BTC
May 21, 2022, 09:04:58 AM
I can't see the user's email whether it is in reports or in their profile. I'm not sure about global mods though, it might be different for them.
And @OmegaStarScream you are a moderator yourself, that means other moderators can't see it too. Maybe only global moderators and admin can see user's email both in reports and in their profile, maybe a global moderator will tell us about it. If this is true, then i think the message users get if they decide to make a report should be changed to specify this.
staff
Activity: 3402
Merit: 6065
May 21, 2022, 07:46:19 AM
Activity: 826
Merit: 1010
Only BTC
May 21, 2022, 07:43:05 AM
If you decide to report a post on the forum it says that your email address would be revealed to the moderator, does it mean your email address would be revealed to only the moderator that handles the case? Is there a way to put it off that the moderator wouldn't see your email address, for people who do not want their email address revealed OR can moderators see your email address even without you making a report, or is it only the admin that has that power?
Pages:
Jump to: