Pages:
Author

Topic: Email security notifications - page 2. (Read 3414 times)

Activity: 252
Merit: 10
November 19, 2017, 04:54:29 AM
Thank theymos,

is this email security features can request new password if we forgot it?

Yes. Just set forgit password and enter your username or email then email notification sent to your email.
Activity: 462
Merit: 254
November 07, 2017, 01:50:28 PM
Please move this thread on top of Meta section.
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053
Free spirit
November 02, 2017, 01:26:44 PM
I noticed this news only now. It's great, I hope it will help to reduce number of hacked accounts. From what I saw, amount of hacked accounts big in recent months. Important thing - don't use same password on Bitcointalk and email
P.S. As I understand, administrator (theymos and Cyrus) have ability to change user email address? Why they may need to it?

For an example. What if some one loses their password but no longer has use of that old inbox to reset the password. But luckily they can prove they can sign a message from an associated BTC address.  "I am Darren at BCT Forum-07860986060869#"

There must be a mechanism for an Admin to achieve such changes. When they deem appropriate, admin is a responsible role.

legendary
Activity: 3178
Merit: 1363
Slava Ukraini!
November 02, 2017, 10:43:22 AM
I noticed this news only now. It's great, I hope it will help to reduce number of hacked accounts. From what I saw, amount of hacked accounts big in recent months. Important thing - don't use same password on Bitcointalk and email
P.S. As I understand, administrator (theymos and Cyrus) have ability to change user email address? Why they may need to it?
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
October 22, 2017, 03:24:27 PM
how to do this at my end?
Activity: 294
Merit: 100
October 22, 2017, 02:57:53 PM
Thanks for doing this Theymos. Maybe a lot of people will complain on why these security features were applied just now. But monitoring and managing these huge community from different backgrounds to different parts of the world is really hard. So I really appreciate your hardwork here in bitcointalk and for providing us a more secure venue. I know you're doing all your best to make everything here work smoothly.
copper member
Activity: 2562
Merit: 2510
Spear the bees
October 22, 2017, 02:28:43 AM
However, my question is that, if someone for example attempted to hack the account, I get a notification in my email which I took action on, how do I claim my account back? That part is not clear in any of the posts earlier.
It's clear. If your password is changed, you receive an email notification. Thus, you can reset your password via email. If however the email is changed, then you have a link to lock your account and retrieve the account.
What was unclear?

This covers all (2) scenarios when someone's account is hacked.
Activity: 136
Merit: 25
October 21, 2017, 01:07:44 PM
Yeah, anybody with more than four brain cells knows that an email address should have something to do with account security. It shouldn't just serve as a label. Seriously
Activity: 28
October 21, 2017, 12:48:36 PM
"Sorry abdillahzidan, you are not allowed to post or send private messages in this forum.
You have been banned by forum moderators. You can appeal here: [email protected]."There is a notification like that on my old account But up to now there has been no response at all despite sending a mail to that address. There is an odd crosshatch with that address , but hope I just want my account can be commented again and can send personal message as before-before nya.To consideration I will include link profile and activity link
link profile; https://bitcointalksearch.org/user/abdillahzidan-1052912
https://bitcointalksearch.org/user/abdillahzidan-1052912;sa=showPosts
Thank you for all
Activity: 1330
Merit: 569
October 21, 2017, 08:26:08 AM
This is something to be happy about as this increase the amount of security to the account. However, my question is that, if someone for example attempted to hack the account, I get a notification in my email which I took action on, how do I claim my account back? That part is not clear in any of the posts earlier. Also, is there a way for the source of the message to be made public so that I know before hand where the address I should receive a message from in case there is an attack, this is important not to fall for phishing mails and not to willingly give the access thinking one is denying such.
Activity: 952
Merit: 339
invest trade and gamble wisely
October 21, 2017, 07:29:00 AM
About time  Wink ...hope this can reduce amount of hacked accounts.
Activity: 136
Merit: 25
October 20, 2017, 10:41:23 PM
I added email notifications for some security events:

Whenever your password is changed (except by an administrator), you will get an email about it.

Whenever your email is changed (except by an administrator), your old email will get an email about it with a link to lock your account. The link is valid for 14 days.

Let me know if you find any bugs.

Post edited. I thought there was a bug, but alas, looks like I never got the email notification when the email was changed. Now some douchebag who can't even speak English is making money spamming the forum using my identity.
Activity: 99
Merit: 10
October 19, 2017, 06:26:04 AM
This will surely discourage most account hacking attempts, if most people are able to lock their account after a suspicious password/email change. It will probably lower the workload of Admins regarding this problem as well.

It would also be great if the recovery process would be automated somehow. As an example, being able to trigger a password reset from that same security email. Or enable a form to submit a link to a posted bitcoin address and a signed message with that address, which can be automatically verified so that the Admins don't have to do it manually.

Thanks again.
Activity: 462
Merit: 281
dApps Development Automation Platform
October 19, 2017, 04:55:06 AM
Thank you for improved security
Activity: 560
Merit: 257
October 19, 2017, 02:10:02 AM
Great work, I hope this feature will continue to exist to prevent and anticipate hacked accounts.
Thanks theymos.
Activity: 378
Merit: 100
October 18, 2017, 10:34:58 PM
Thank theymos,

is this email security features can request new password if we forgot it?
Activity: 1
October 18, 2017, 06:51:17 PM
What is the procedure to get your account unlocked? What amount of resources will be put into unlocking accounts?

It's on the same level as other recovery requests. So don't do it lightly. But it's better than actually allowing your account to be/remain compromised.

When you click an account-lock link, there's a paragraph explaining this.

Hello theymos,

I emailed you two days regarding my account being hacked. https://bitcointalksearch.org/user/cryptotech-397698
It looks that it was hacked on October 15th.  You can see all the activity thats taken place since its been hacked. Random post on ICO threads, airdrops, speaking in Russian, etc.  Also looks as if he has went and deleted alot of my post.  You can see my main thread for TheCryptoChat here https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ann-thecryptochat-real-time-chat-explorers-faucets-quick-help-more-1574268

You added this feature for the email today but can you make that work for an account that was just compromised a 3 days ago?  I would really like to get my account back if at all possible as its been my account since 2014 and most know me by my username.  If you check your email you should see an email from me on Oct. 16th the day I noticed my account was hacked.

Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks.
administrator
Activity: 5222
Merit: 13032
October 18, 2017, 02:11:49 PM
What is the procedure to get your account unlocked? What amount of resources will be put into unlocking accounts?

It's on the same level as other recovery requests. So don't do it lightly. But it's better than actually allowing your account to be/remain compromised.

When you click an account-lock link, there's a paragraph explaining this.
copper member
Activity: 2926
Merit: 2348
October 18, 2017, 01:29:22 PM
your old email will get an email about it with a link to lock your account.
Activity: 420
Merit: 13
October 18, 2017, 12:41:21 PM
Would it be possible to send this notification to accounts which changed password in the last, say 14 days or so? So we can recover them by ourselves?

I tried that on my hacked account. No.
Pages:
Jump to: